• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McTavish vs. Ridgeway

Correct me if I'm wrong. Both are wing-tipped oxfords on the "5" last, a la the McAlister.

Both are in Dublin leather.

Is the only difference that the Ridgeway was the contrasting stitching and colored storm welt (which with the cognac, are in orange)?

Well, and I've seen some Ridgeway's with the mini lug sole.

Is that about it?

devastitis

Reaction score
:)
Yes, that was the coupon

Ah okay, I tried using it on a pair of McAllisters to test and it didn't work, saying coupon cannot be applied for this item. It's fine though, wasn't looking to buy another pair of McAllisters.

I need some advice on my next purchase. I already have black and merlot McAllisters, bourbon Moras, and walnut Strands. My next purchase I'm considering between either another bourbon (Strand) or a brown burnished (Fifth Ave). For a person who dresses in suits twice a week, and the rest of the week business casually or just plain casual with denim and a blazer, what would be the better choice?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Ah okay, I tried using it on a pair of McAllisters to test and it didn't work, saying coupon cannot be applied for this item. It's fine though, wasn't looking to buy another pair of McAllisters.

I need some advice on my next purchase. I already have black and merlot McAllisters, bourbon Moras, and walnut Strands. My next purchase I'm considering between either another bourbon (Strand) or a brown burnished (Fifth Ave). For a person who dresses in suits twice a week, and the rest of the week business casually or just plain casual with denim and a blazer, what would be the better choice?

Given the facts as described, I think brown FA's would fit in nicely. It is a color you don't have and would give you a plain toed punch cap for suits now missing from your lineup.

devastitis

Reaction score

Given the facts as described, I think brown FA's would fit in nicely.  It is a color you don't have and would give you a plain toed punch cap for suits now missing from your lineup.

Thanks for the advice. Would I need to spring for a new belt as well or will my bourbon Dearborn belt suffice? From what I've seen, the brown calf color is much darker than bourbon? Also, would I be able to pull off brown calf with denim or chinos, or just suits?

Spiker

Reaction score
Given the facts as described, I think brown FA's would fit in nicely. It is a color you don't have and would give you a plain toed punch cap for suits now missing from your lineup.
or a Brown Delray! Man that shoes are so slick. Plus you get a blucher instead of another balmoral. Also amazon coupon only work on amazon product. The shoe you selected may have been from another seller.

Last edited:

bgp001

Reaction score
McTavish vs. Ridgeway

Correct me if I'm wrong. Both are wing-tipped oxfords on the "5" last, a la the McAlister.

Both are in Dublin leather.

Is the only difference that the Ridgeway was the contrasting stitching and colored storm welt (which with the cognac, are in orange)?

Well, and I've seen some Ridgeway's with the mini lug sole.

Is that about it?

I have the Ridgeways, and I believe those are the only major differences. The Ridgeway also has an orange sockliner, and all of the Ridgeways have the mini-lug sole.

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
smile.gif

Agree with the earlier suggestion of the Brown FAs. You can try to see if the BB version is available in your size, they should be $149 with the seconds sale right now. I have the BB walnut FAs and like them very much. The rubber sole was a added bonus with the winter weather we have this year. The poron insole is also very comfortable.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Ridgeways, and I believe those are the only major differences. The Ridgeway also has an orange sockliner, and all of the Ridgeways have the mini-lug sole.

Thanks for the confirmation. Do they fit a bit more loosely than your dressier 5 last shoes?

@devastitas: You are correct that AE brown for their business oxfords is dark, darker than bourbon. I'd suggest putting a dark brown belt on your "back burner" wish list. In the meantime, a bourbon belt will be good enough, though I'm not familiar with the style of the belt you mentioned and whether that would be dressy enough for suits.

I'll confess I've never worried too much about trying to match every subtle shade of brown I might have. I'm muddling through life with four belts for coat & tie wear: black, light brown, dark brown, and burgundy, and I seem no worse the wear for it..

devastitis

Reaction score

or a Brown Delray! Man that shoes are so slick. Plus you get a blucher instead of another balmoral. Also amazon coupon only work on amazon product. The shoe you selected may have been from another seller. 

They were sold by Allen Edmonds and fulfilled by Amazon.com. Not sure if that means it's not an Amazon product. Thanks, though.

Agree with the earlier suggestion of the Brown FAs.  You can try to see if the BB version is available in your size, they should be $149 with the seconds sale right now.  I have the BB walnut FAs and like them very much.  The rubber sole was a added bonus with the winter weather we have this year.  The poron insole is also very comfortable.

I've been trying to email the shoebank but with no success. I might have bugged them too much in the past. But I just purchased firsts quality bnib BB Fifths off of Ebay for $199 including taxes and shipping. Ebay also has 4x Ebay bucks today only, so I got $16 back in Ebay bucks, which I'll probably put to a matching belt.

bgp001

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. Do they fit a bit more loosely than your dressier 5 last shoes?

My lacing gap is narrower, but not to the point where I'd size down. I can fit either a size 8.5D or a 8.0E in the 5 last, and the 8.0E in the Ridgeway works fine. (I have tried the 8.0Ds, and they were too narrow for me.)

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, almost 6 months later, have myself a pair of first condition brown shell cordovan Neumoks. They failed inspection several times, but now here they are! :) They are beautiful. And if any of you forgot, they have a shell half-insole sock liner, and the rear heel liner is also shell... It's amazing! One step in them, and they have beautiful rolled creases everywhere. I bought them to be patina machines, and they sure will be. Pictures forthcoming.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads