Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Check out Nordstrom Rack for Cliftons.

The one by me had a bunch in walnut for $180.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

That rack price is pretty good. A bit cheaper than what I paid for mine.

Still undecided on the fit. Not quite as comfortable as my other 2 shoes on the 5 last but they are new yet of course. Did some searching on here last night and several people commented that going down a half size made for a better fit on the Clifton. But that didn't apply to everyone and I worry about going down in size would make them too tight across the toebox. Would rather have them a little too big than too small. Wore them for about an hour walking around the house and over that time the fit seemed better then it did originally. I get flexing right up into the base of the captoe, not sure how that will eventually crease. If you can try them on first I would recommend it. I really do like the look of the shoe and wasn't sure that I would at first.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

3. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

With my Cliftons, I went down to a 9.5D (I'm usually a US 10-10.5) in size. The toebox was a bit tight at first, but after wearing it for 3-4 days they have become a lot more comfortable.

If you are planning to get the AE premium shoe polish for the walnut color, a sales associate at the local AE advised that the "Walnut" AE shoe polish will actually give the shoes a darker tint over time; it's better to go for the "Cognac" if you want to keep it light.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

What do you think of these?

[​IMG]

These are some custom Sheltons in snuff suede / navy suede the sales person at my local menswear / shoe store had done. He also had them use a single oak sole instead of the double oak sole. I really like these - I may have to order some for this Fall.

Chris

5. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

What's a good price for a good condition used pair of park avenues?

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you, I'm a 10D and swim in a 10.5D. Occasionally a 9.5D so will exchange them. I ordered the Black Hills in 9.5D because all the reviews on the AE site said size down a half size on the Black Hills.

Oh now you tell me LOL. This morning I ordered the walnut AE premium polish as I also have walnut calf McAllisters. But I use Saphir Cognac on my walnut shell Dalton boots as it is a good match for those, which are a bit darker than the AE walnut calf. Free shipping from AE so might as well order the AE Cognac and keep the distinction in color. Thank you very much once again.

7. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Glad to help -- since you're getting both anyway, you might notice that on the box the shown color for the Walnut polish is lighter than that of the Cognac, but if you squeeze them from the tube you will see it's the opposite.

8. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

When Amazon had the sale going on around 3 weeks back I ordered these Park Avenues and noticed the bowing initially, but thought it would even out over time. When polishing them I realized that there is quite a crease and some stiching is also misaligned.
    So I sent this picture to AE customer service and they would like me to ship the shoes to them and they will determine if it's a defect and then either repair or replace.
    Does this seem to be a legitimate concern, I don't want to go through the hassle of paying to ship them only to be returned as is.

[​IMG]

9. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

I just got mine at Macy's for $260. My first pair of AE's, so I had to go for the quintessential Park Ave. I'm waiting for my walnut Jefferson wingtips...does anyone have pics of those?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. plei89

plei89 Senior member

If someone's looking for a size 8D pair of Black Park Aves, I have one listed for $220 shipped. Brand new with dust bags, marked as seconds, no visible defects.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'd be very surprised if AE shipped your shoes back to you, creases and all. They're more likely to ship you a new pair, defect or no defect. This leads to the real question: do you want a new pair that you have to break in again and will very likely see the same creasing? How much does it bother you? All my AE's bow out in the same v in the same area, but not enough to bother me. YMMV.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Any good AE loafer deals out there? Looking to pick up a couple of pairs.

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

For some reason, I always see a lot of loafers at Nordstrom Rack. Perhaps I remember them more since I'm usually on the look out for dress shoes.:angry:

14. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Before this pair I got a pair of Jefferson's which is also on the 5 last, but i got no bowing and creasing on the quarters, I hope they replace them only worn them 3 - 4 times.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Earlier in the thread Cold Iron broke out the calipers to show some inconsistencies in the size of the shoe mouth. This has some bearing on the bowing issue I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.