1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I hear you, brother. My mother told me once that our family could've been vegetarian if char siu wasn't so damn tasty.

As a 34-year-old data point I'll second ultravisitor up there -- if I weren't in black tie on a monthly basis, I wouldn't own any black shoes. Even for a job interview or to get married, I'd happily wear some mirror-polished merlot captoes.

2. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

For weddings, funerals, and other big events that occur in all our lives, there is no real substitute for a black shoe. For that reason, I think every man should have at least one pair in the closet. The Hanover was a wholecut that looked impressive on-line; maybe wait to find one on the shoebank (I don't know if any are still around on closeout), and put a mirror shine on the heel and toebox. I don't wear black shoes for work or for casual, but I pull them out a few times every year. When black shoes are appropriate, they are so much more appropriate than dark brown, mahogany, etc.

3. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I think if you have the means, it would be good to own a pair of black bals for the rare occasions that you attend a formal event. If you are looking for a pair of sleeker black bals, affiliate vendor Skoaktiebolaget has some Carmina Rain lasted captoe bals that look great and cost the same as AE at MSRP even with shipping from Sweden (although their sizes are pretty limited right now). I rarely need to wear black bals and have just one pair for those occasions (maybe 2~3 times a year). It's a pair of Peal & Co captoes that are not very sleek (maybe less sleek than AE 5-last) and I've been toying with the idea of getting the Carmina to replace them as my one black formal shoes.

This Carmina:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have these and love them, but love the same version on the Rain last even more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rostov

rostov Senior member

I only wear them to weddings and funerals, but I wish I had bought a Park Ave instead of the 5th Ave, but I also managed a good deal on seconds. I'll probably sell them as they're too small and have only worn them 5 times at most... they're the reason I went back and got refitted about a year ago.

8. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Did the exact same. Black PAs for around $70, hardly used. My first AE's too. Even got married in them though I was trying hard for brown. I think I might upgrade and get some Black Harrions when the next shoebank sale rolls around. Fit me much better and more comfortable too. Again, only needed a few times a year.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I know for a fact that right now you can find at least one pair of very favorably priced black PA seconds in the marketplace.

A fact.

Yep, they are definitely there.

(whistling)

1 person likes this.
  10. halfnhalfnhalf

Krause boots today (made by AE for Wolverine):

[​IMG]

The ensemble is a little Christmas-y, perhaps, but whatevs . . . all I know is that these boots are stupid comfortable.

2 people like this.
  11. garland

garland Senior member

Those are sweet! I wish i could get my hands on some cord. 1000 mile boots.

12. halfnhalfnhalf

Thanks. Shell-wise, last year I was lucky enough to score a pair of the 744 LTD from Wingtip. Terrific boot and a unique color ("No. 449"), and also comfortable as hell. And, I have half an eye open for a 721 LTD if a pair in my size shows up on the secondary market.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

With proper care and a solid rotation, my shell makeups will last me multiple lifetimes.
    [​IMG]

15. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The walnut Hale has been brought back from the archives. Available in AE's clearance section. I own this shoe and love it. It's on the 8 last.

Stock photo:
    [​IMG]
    ITW:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Strand-ard makeup....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Senior member

From someone that is 38 and wears suits 5 days a week, I own 3 pairs of black shoes (shell park ave, strand, Manchester). I will buy a dress boot and a Jefferson or Mcallister at some point too.

I adhere to strick rules when wearing certain suits and shoes. If I am speaking in front of a group or meeting with a conservative individual or group the STANDARD uniform for me is navy suit with plain cap toe park aves. I never wear a black shoe with a navy or blue suit with any perforations or borouging - just plain. I will wear those with any shade if gray.

This wil all get interesting when my navy shell strands arrive.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think you'll live!

19. FistofFurySC

FistofFurySC Active Member

Anyone have a pair of the Promontory Point boots that can comment of their comfort, fit, and aesthetic? AE has a stock of first quality boots sitting around for $247, and I'm thinking about picking up a pair.

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

They are shaped just like the Bayfield boot FYI...have seen them in person but they will not look like the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.