1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Involved massive weight loss, yes. Rather not go into any further detail though. Lol - don't ever feel the need to say "don't take this the wrong way..." You've been nothing but helpful and for that I am grateful. Have to disagree on the AE retail store though. From my experience, they seem to be most interested in selling a standard size at msrp to make quotas, and really don't care about fitting an individual customer. Maybe your experience is different than mine.

3. mw313

mw313 Senior member

No problem and no explanation needed. Just guessing from experience since that is my specialty.

Maybe try Nordstrom. Or call AE and ask them to send to a store for you to go to visit or just to your house. I have only had plenty if help but have only death with the people over the phone/email or a large Nordstrom near me.

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

It was more if a "I've spent too much recently and now I have pairs I never wear". So, I got rid of a handful. I'll probably be over 20 by the end of the year, but I want to make sure they are pairs I really like and fit well instead ofones I just got on a good deal.

5. mw313

mw313 Senior member

i know what you mean. it is only worth keeping them if you will actually wear them. otherwise it is best to give them a chance of being worn by someone else who will hopefully appreciate them. i have gotten rid of a few of mine too, and I also set some away as bad weather shoes, if they are capable of being used for that purpose.

I now am starting to get too many bad weather shoes too, so that may be starting to become a problem too. lol

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Mctavish in Khaki has popped up on the shoe bank website, they look pretty good… anyone seen these in person?

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I track all my shoes in a spreadsheet so that I know how often I am wearing each pair. Theoretically it should help me with future purchases and to thin my existing herd.

1 person likes this.
  8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's wild! Though quite engineer-like :p

You plan outfits around what shoes you want to wear, right? Not the other way around?

9. mdubs

I do a true suit rotation, in which I take my suit from the close side and put it at the far end. I will occasionally pull the suit I want to wear if I feel compelled, otherwise I try and stick with my rotation. I pick my shoes after that.

-Mike

10. peppercorn78

11. rostov

rostov Senior member

I know this was for @mdubs, but since we're on the topic... I check the weather, decide on a shoe, then I pick my outfit. I can see how I might do this otherwise if I had more shoes, or if every pair had Dainite or at least a vthread/topy.

12. mdubs

LoL, I typically check the weather before I pick my shoes as well. I do not wear light Shell in inclement weather. :)

13. peppercorn78

Hey! Welcome back Eric! How's the hoof?

Dubsy, I would die for a peek inside your shoe storage area. Im trying to imagine the scenario of you picking out the day's pair.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

He has a few of these installed

[​IMG]

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Inclement weather in southern California? Haha.

On a serious note, how do you find shell cordovan on warmer days? Is it uncomfortable?

16. mdubs

Doesn't bother me on warmer days. If it's 100 out I would probably go with an unlined suede though. But we don't get much over 90 during the summer.

17. mdubs

Pepper, my shoe storage is a mess!!!

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Yeah, I have slightly wide feet, but not a EEE or anything. You're a 3E right? I can imagine that it would look exaggerated and be uncomfortable if the toes are pushing out the sides. The nice thing about the LWB (AE or Alden) is that clunky or hefty is the aesthetic and it looks pretty cool with jeans or chinos. 

Yes eee in some lasts and e in others...some thing with the way mY foot spreads when standing....just makes some shoes look so odd on me....the aesthetic of the AE wing by not being as large in the toe part seems to look less odd to me. I love longings and short wings though and they are versatile.

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

MTO brown shell MacNeils today:

[​IMG]

Eat your heart out, Alden. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Checked the shoe bank. Saw alot of new stock or at least new old stock, like the player navy suede.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.