1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garland

garland Well-Known Member

but it is a discounted rate? You're getting the sole change for free.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

It seems like they've stopped doing the discounted "web gems" in favor of full priced, limited time "online exclusives." Smells like a policy change.

3. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Please tell me....am I being too picky here after spending $385 on these? That is a lot of money (for me). This is the second pair I have received. The first had a gash near the welt connect...this one has the same thing but at least they filled it with polish...it comes off with just a finger nail though.

Then there is the issue with these, the 2nd pair, in the above photo. You can see there are two dark lines going from bottom-left to upper-right, both near the middle of the shoe. The right most line appears to be where the throat and the vamp connect. The left most line seems to be just above another line of interior stitching..but is not directly on top of any seams.

The picture minimizes the lines because of the lighting, they are more visible in person.

Some people bashed me for returning the first pair with the welt gash and similar lines. Am I just being too picky and should this be considered acceptable? I wont be wearing this pair simply because of the unsightly lines, but I am wondering if I should even try exchanging for a third pair.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

@Rugger your picture is way to small for me to see anything on....is that Bourbon? Just know if so Bourbon is a burnished finish so there are going to be markings...in terms of the welt.....if it is on the inside of the shoe I would be fine with it...I assume that is were it is....

Bottom line...you should be happy with a pair of $385 shoes.

5. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know what happened with the image.

Again, the light makes these lines look much lighter, the are much more prominent and noticeable in person. I understand that with burnishing there will be some markings...but these lines directly follow stitching.

6. garland

garland Well-Known Member

I can't discern the welt issue that you mention, but as far as the streaking goes, if you dont like it, get a different one. It wouldn't bother me personally but its totally understandable if you don't like it.

kyle

7. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. I didn't include an image of the welt. You can look back through my posts in this thread to see the image of the first pair I ordered, though. They had the same welt issue but didn't have any streaks.

8. capegirr

capegirr Member

So I have a pretty standard size, 9D when I went to try on Allen Edmonds. I am someone who is about to enter the work world and would like a pair of black or dark brown Park Avenues to wear to formal events and occasions. Money is pretty tight and I have no issue buying preowned, but I know Allen Edmond shoes' craft around the original owner's feet. Anyone have a recommendation on where I need to go to buy these shoes and the price range I should realistically be looking to spend? I know Allen Edmond's has a decent sale in October or so but I always try to opt for used. Do I need to shell out the money for new or what does everyone think?

9. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

The issues are minor to me, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a $400 shoe to be virtually flawless. I tend to think I'd accept the streak, but I've only paid full price for one pair of Allen Edmonds and those were MTO.

10. peppercorn78

Just be patient and lurk in this thread for a while.

Familiarize yourself with Shoebank.com where you can buy brand new slightly flawed "factory seconds." During outlet sales, sometimes closeouts and brooks brothers branded versions of classics like strand or park Ave can get as low as 150$

11. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

that would be nice but they still charge extra because in some cases they have to make a pattern for the shoe and it is extra work. As far as I know they still can only do it for the classic styles, like Park Ave, Leeds, Macneil, Sanford, etc.

That definitely is a good option for people who want something new in their size that they don't usually carry. You can just email or call them directly to ask.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Here's my 2 cents - the park ave / fifth ave / strand is a little tougher than some - it doesn't really go on sale so to speak outside of those periods already noted by the other members - RDA, etc. The retail AE stores recently had a sale but only on bourbon - typically colors that most people would actually want - like black, won't go on sale. Shoebank is definitely worthwhile in this case - sometimes I feel like AE retail clearance is so close to shoebank that shoebank is a waste, but for something like the park ave I think shoebank can save you a lot of money. The fifth ave usually runs slightly less than the park ave if you don't mind the extra perforations. Jos A Bank sells the Boardroom which does occasionally go on sale. Similarly, Brooks Bros sells the "Perforated Captoe" (Fifth Ave) which also goes on sale If you have never tried the various lasts I would get some idea and not plan on a blind-buy (for example, the Jos A Bank shoe is on the 97 last which is quite different than the standard 65). Unfortunately you kind of missed the boat by not buying from Brooks Bros right after Christmas. You may need to wait a while longer.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask anything else, I shall do my best.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Now for a question of my own - I actually posted this in a separate thread but will repeat it here. I measure a 7.5D but usually shoes are elongated to the point where I go with a 7D. My width is between C and D. I have tried on almost all the lasts and have kind of figured out what length and width works in each. My biggest problem has always been length - too long and my legs ache after any moderate amount of walking. Too short and my toes are smashed in to the point where my big toes hurt after a short period.

But, what sometimes shows up is on my right foot, the joint at the base of my big toe is somehow aggravated by the shoe, to the point where it puffs/swells up and results in excruciating pain. Unfortunately this doesn't show up until I wear the shoe for a full work day, like 10+ hours at once. My Daltons produced a killer pain in this joint area at first. I wound up wearing them with the thickest socks I could find (like wool hiking socks), enduring crazy amounts of pain, and then finally switching back to dress socks. This seems to have worked, although not 100%. I just started to really wear my Jermyns and the pain in that joint is back, stronger than ever, to the point where I am dying to take them off as soon as I get home, as I can't stand them for another minute. I tried the thick socks approach, followed by thin socks, and it seems to be working, so far.

What is it that causes this - is it that the lasts aren't good for me? The lengths and widths seem ok. Is it stiff leather? Instep? Or something else entirely. Curious to hear Mr. Size 15's perspective, if he is around.

14. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

I think width may be too narrow for you. When you step forward, the foot slides forward in the shoe, and the forefoot expands. The shoe may fit fine when your foot is off the ground, but the foot may need more room in the front when you walk. I experienced similar problems and going up in width solved the problem. Shoes should not be uncomfortable when you walk in them.

15. peppercorn78

AE Anniversary sale is in April/May, and McAllister seems to be reduced to around 250 every year, along with favorites like Mora and Lexington and Franciscan.

Nordstrom Anniversary in July ALWAYS includes Park Ave and Strand.

But for the deepest discount, u can't beat buying BB seconds during a Shoebank sale.

1 person likes this.
  16. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Is Mr. Size 15 in reference to me? haha
    I agree with @gatszu . The width may be too narrow for you. It can feel okay but then as your feet swell during the day they can start to become tight. Plus certain foot types will drop in the arch (pronating) and over the day the front of your foot can become irritated by the hitting close to the front. It is always best to try the shoes on at the end of the day or at least late afternoon to factor in the swelling. If you are having a problem due to this, using a width larger can help to fix the problem. If they are a bit wide at that point, you can always use a thicker sock or insert a leather insole or tongue pad to make up for the difference in fit.

You also need to think about what has happened when you go down a 1/2 in length. That now changes the width of the shoe. If you are a 7.5D and move down to a 7 in length, you need to get a 7E to keep the same overall width/volume. In the end, the Brannock device is only a guideline, because each company's lasts vary in size. Even the lasts by AE vary in much more than just the toe shape. They have completely different fits if you haven't noticed this by trying a bunch of the different styles already.

If you are having a problem with your big toe joint (1st Metatarsal-Phalangeal Joint) you could have a jamming that is happening at the joint. Have you tried to move your big toe when barefoot and compared your range of motion (ROM) between your two feet. If you have decreased ROM on one foot more and that one is what is causing more pain, that can be the problem.

It is possible that the lasts can be the problem, because certain shapes just don't work for certain foot types. The instep size can be a problem for some people but only if you have a really high instep, which usually won't affect the big toe joint.

Think about those few things and let me know what you notice. I can advise in a few other things from there if that helps.

I'm sure others would agree in that you could even take a few pics wearing the shoes and post them on here for us to comment on the apparent fit.

17. jayjules

jayjules Member

I exchanged the pair I had, and received these. Not happy with the quality.[​IMG]

18. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Looks like there's some truffle and walnut shell on the marketplace....

Edit: Not referring to my listings.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I am sorry to see those, they should take a return on that and get you a decent pair. I would call them and make sure that they actually visually inspect the shoe before shipping to you.

-Mike

20. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

are these first or seconds? either way, i would send this picture to the rep that sent you these shoes. the stitching looks too sloppy as if the shoemaker was just cranking out shoes without regards to the broader details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.