1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

In the past, there has been some discussion of poron insoles vs leather insoles and the fit. I decided to do some very unofficial research since I have some AE styles that are basically the same except for the poron vs leather insole. I have the Players (leather) and 2 pair of Lombards (poron), I have the Strand (leather) and the Rush Street (poron), and I have the Dalton boot (leather) and the Long Branch (poron).

I have worn both types of insole with similar weight socks and I did test fits back to back to make sure my feet weren't swollen, etc. based on time of day, weather, etc.

It is my personal conclusion that the poron does make the shoe fit more snug initially. However, I do not feel the difference is enough to justify a size change. The poron insoles just feel a bit tighter initially. I have also found that as the poron breaks in, there is a reduction in the "snugness". But I have found that my leather insoles are still slightly roomier than the poron insoles even after some wear time.

Again, this is my personal unofficial conclusion based on my personal experience so it is my no means the final word. But I wanted to provide my personal experience on poron insole vs leather insole in case anybody was wondering.

Carry on.

Chris

4 people like this.
  2. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Can anyone comment on how to polish bobs chili? It seems that there is some burnishing on the toe, or at least it is a distinct/darker color - I quite like it. I don't want to lose that by polishing it out with chili colored cream. Any pointers? :slayer:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

This tidbit is wonderful and useful for me too!

I've dropped 3 (now approaching 4) full belt sizes in 18 months.

Each size change...I bought new belts & stored the old ones.

So..my cobbler and I need to get busy.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I would go neutral....that is what I use on my burnished colors

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I don't have any shoes in Bob's Chili, but I use AE neutral carnauba wax on my Bourbon Strands and it maintains the burnishing.

Chris

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks, Chris.

Do you (or anyone) know if the poron insoles have a cork sublayer? Have not found a definite answer to this. I know the leather insoles do. Also, I have heard that Poron is basically leather wrapped around foam.

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The Lombard is from the previous AE Executive Collection. The description of the Executive Collection (when it was available) included this:

"The collection has the benefits or a heated cork layer under the forepart and a Poron[​IMG] padded insole for instant, out-of-the-box comfort."

So I would say yes, the poron has cork underneath it. The wording above says forepart; however, the Executive Collection also included the 270 degree welt to tighten up the heel, so that is why I'm thinking it implies no cork in the heel area - to keep the tightness of the heel for the 270 degree welt.

Here is another quote from AE about their Malone

"Fully leather lined Cork layer under leather wrapped Poron insole for cushion"

Chris

1 person likes this.
  8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Freshly delivered to my inbox from Allen Edmonds:

[​IMG]

I've wanted a Dainite-soled black calf Carlyle since they started making Carlyles. It'd be perfect for the dozen times a year I need to be in black tie regardless of weather. If the MTO fee isn't too great to get it done in an AA width, I think they just might have convinced me...

9. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Hey when I spoke to them not to long ago the MTO fee for just a size change like to your 14AA is either 50 or 75. It jumps up a lot when you change to different leathers that usually aren't available.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Since its a webgem, I can't imagine them charging u a custom fee for width change. Just call Allison.

11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

They usually don't except when it is so off scale like AA or AAA and size 14+ Because they aren't even used for online special order. They have to pull the last specially to have them made. They've the full size run list that can be used for it but then even have some sizes outside that range.

12. garland

garland Senior member

Not necessarily. Generally the style in black will end with the last number but other colors aren't guaranteed to do so. What was the style number?

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I was in my store over the weekend and actually had a chat with the manager about that shoe. It's currently scheduled to drop in the fall and will come in two colors of grain calf (both in the brown family from what I recall). She didn't know what the last was either.

The 9D that's listed for sale at the Shoebank is apparently a prototype. Someone really should buy it and post some pics.

14. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:I would have figured someone would have by now. Or at least tried and they couldn't find it. How much was it? Maybe I'll do it for SAG.

15. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

16. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I thought about it, but didn't want to risk actually liking it enough to keep it.

17. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

You should call and give someone at AE a list of all the styles and colors you like so that when they do a production run, they can make an extra pair for you.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

There has been a mystery shoebank Dundee in shell 13D that seems to go away and pop three weeks later...anyone every buy this and return it...How bad is it?

19. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

I just asked Allison about this last week. She said it would be $40 charge. I was wondering about a Shell MacNeil in size 10a.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

I really dislike that the "web gems" are not at a discounted rate. I could use one of the winter studs but I refuse to pay full price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.