1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

Does anyone own the redding? If so, care to share your opinions on the shoe? thanks

2. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Show of hands, who uses wax polish on their shoes on top of regular AE like cream(all I have at the moment)? Any downsides? I really want that insane shine. Any tips for doing this with brogued caps?

3. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

11.5D in 5 last. went with 12C on the MacNeil. Most everything else I take a 12D.

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:The LB is pretty tricky. Its the same last as the Dalton but it has quite a bit more volume for some reason. Going up in size from a Dalton I've never heard of. I could see down a 1/2 size maybe. But the ball of the foot measurement is what I go by as well and its in the same place for both. I just have to wear boot socks with the LB, which may have been the design intent.

5. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I mostly use wax instead of cream on my shoes. As for that "insane shine" it takes a lot of time for a spit shine. I spent 30-40 min on my Park Ave's and got a good shine but nothing like the classic spit shine. I have dogs so the inevitable step on my shoes make a general shine better. I condition them maybe twice a year as well.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@ScottyBoy920 Those Long Branches look killer...love the color

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

+1

Damn, makes me want to break my New Years resolution just a little over a week into 2015.

9. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

+2

As much as I love the Golden CXL version that I own, I would have been just as happy with that color. The shots of it on the AE site just didn't look great and I passed on it. Now, I'm debating nabbing a pair if they show up absurdly cheap on the Shoebank.

It's such a great boot, but such a touch one to size. Kind of wish I'd gone down a half size, as there's just a touch too much volume in the toe box unless I'm wearing thicker socks. Regardless, I've been enjoying the heck out of it this winter in the ice and snow. If anyone has ever been on the fence about it, grab it before winter is over so you can really take advantage of it during its intended season.

10. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I wore my new pair of McGregors in the office this week. While the left shoe is very comfortable, the right one is a tad tighter and its back side is slightly curved inward, which scrapes the back of my right foot when I walk -- it hurt so bad that I almost couldn't walk back home from the office with it on. Can I still return or exchange them, even though I've worn them twice already?

11. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

What kind of wax? Just clear shoe wax? Never used it before so completely ignorant.

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@hohneokc

Are those the Dark brown color?

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I use Kiwi brand wax. I have a tin of black for black shoes then I use Neutral for my brown shoes. I rub an old t-shirt wrapped around my fingers into it, go over each pair of shoes, then buff them with a brush to get the haze to go away. I can usually go 5-10 wears before it gets tough to brush out scuff marks.

Sometimes I will throw some cream polish on them for a change up and in that case I use either black cream or brown cream. I did pick up some AE Walnut cream but haven't used it yet.

There is a shoe care thread around here which will go into more detail as I know a lot of people hate Kiwi but I have never had a problem with it in my 10+ years of using it and with my oldest pair of shoes being 4 years old.

14. garland

garland Senior member

Allen Edmonds has a carnauba wax
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1?style=652

I use it on my brogue cap toe boots and have found it to be great. Not alcohol based so it wont dry out the leather like Kiwi can.

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Yes, the box label says dark brown grain and number is 6021

16. jfranci3

jfranci3 Well-Known Member

I"m a meltonian person myself.

I just bought a pair of Allen First Avenue boots form the Shoe bank. It looks like anything shipping from Wisconsin - Port Washington
    Allen Edmond - Consumer Assistance Center #100 may actually Quality firsts or returns.

17. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Wax polish is the only way to get that insane shine. I usually just hit the toes and heels for a high shine and a general shine every where else. Still looks very good, but prevents the "wax cracking" across the vamp where the shoe bends that happens when you do a full shoe high shine.

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Wow talk about totally different picture from the internet pic

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm convinced that they're sourcing different leather for these than the 2013 version. I've handked the latest runs in store, and they don't look or feel anything like my older pair. The leather on the newer runs feels thinner, stiffer, and the texture grainier. And definitely lighter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Decided to have some fun with my GMTO Bayfields...I just posted recently about them and over the last few days they have seen snow, slush, scrapes and parking lot salt...I mean that is why we have a lug sole on them right :)

I read a lot in the shoe care thread though I do the very minimum to my shoes/boots....decided to give Lexol a whirl on my Shell Bayfields as the Cordovan Crème I used a few weeks ago penetrated some it seemed to sit on top more....provided a beautiful shine(pics back some pages somewhere) so Lexol is a PH balanced conditioner which seems to mean something to people who know about these things

Anyway Before pic 1
    [​IMG]

Before pic 2
    [​IMG]

Shocked to see some brown stuff come off upon first application of Lexol as I did not think these had much on there
    [​IMG]

The left boot is covered in Lexol 2 applications is literally drank it in..both liberal applications, you can see how dark it is
    [​IMG]

Allowed to dry for 15 minutes and first brush on left shoe started to bring a little shine back
    [​IMG]

This is after sitting in the sun for about an hour or two and another good 10-15 minute brushing more shine finally-lots of nice undertones
    [​IMG]

Allowed some more time to sit and another brushing - more shine -
    [​IMG]

Overall I am glad I did this the shell feels SO much more like my other shell shoes/boots...They are not back to the shine they had prior but I they still need to dry out some more and need more brushing...that being said I actually like the state they are in now....I will put a touch of sapphire cordovan crème on them in a few days to see if they will shine like they did...more for information purposes. If you are a high shine freak and have some dry shell just be prepared for how dull these will be for a while until drying and brushing...to be honest I was like WTF did I do...lol

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.