1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

Broke out the Snuff Suede Gobis for the first time today. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are out of the box!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

What did you think of the sizing, @fiddlestyx ? Did you stay at your regular size or drop down? I was planning on either going a half size smaller or dropping down a width. The SA recommended not dropping down, but they seem a little big for my taste.

When I inquired about the relative fit compared to the Amok I was given the last speech ("every last is different, best way to ensure proper fit,...") and then told the that the Amok fit wide and long (both of which I find to be exactly opposite of how they fit me) so I certainly shouldn't size down.

Wish I had stuck with my gut and the info here on SF.

3. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Speaking of recent orders... I am pretty frustrated with quality control issues. I have now sent back my last 4 purchases from the shoebank.

After one wear, my fullertons developed waving of the cork bed and what I think was a couple of nails starting to poke up. I was told there was an irregularity, they could not be repaired, and since there were no more in stock, I was credited.

Then came some Eagle Rivers. Warehouse said they looked great - but I was just not impressed at all with the craftsmanship, even for 2nds. Sent them back and will likely just eat the $10 restocking fee.

Decided to order some Gobis. SA said they looked good while on the phone. Turns out neither liner was glued to the footbed properly. Shipped them back, received a new pair. With the second pair, there is a gap between the footbed and inside of the heel large enough for your finger. On the other shoe you can almost put 2 fingers in the gap. Back I go to UPS to drop off another pair.

Customer service, after the fact, has been great! Probably among the best of any company I have ever dealt with. Still it is rather frustrating and time consuming to drop them off (not to mention the one time I went to UPS, only to find I was sent a Fedex return label, when all the others have been UPS). Surely this isn't the norm, even from the shoebank, right?

My recent AE shoe addiction no likey...

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Sadly seconds are crapshoots to a degree...I have only ever gotten packpackages from fedex through ae...

Do you have a single rep you deal with? Or do you call the store directly that lists it....I use one rep and he does all of my QC for me...every so often he misses something but not often...for the Gobi for example unless you missed the sale a few weeks ago why buy second when firsts where only 50 bucks more?

I have bought and sold probably 20+ pairs of seconds and only have had to return two due issues...now some I have sold privately do to fit but ththat's not AE fault.

Deal with one rep if poss.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Those look really nice! Reminds me that years ago I used to have some suede shoes in that color and I loved them. That is until I was in a hurry one day leaving a store and it was raining that day and the next thing I knew i was on my butt! Found out the hard way the soles were slippery when wet and never wore them again.

How does a 2 eyelet chukka hold? It doesn't look too secure (although my 3 eyelet bleeckers seem to be ok)

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Great suggestion. I have dealt primarily with one rep or the warehouse for all but one order (which arrived great but developed issue after one wearing). If I was dealing with appearance flaws I'd be completely satisfied, but these have been structural in nature.

Oh well. I'll keep trying - once the frustration subsides.

7. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

I wear a 7E in the 5 last (Strand and Macallister), although a little snug some days and ended up with a 7D in the Gobi, which fits perfectly. I was originally told to try a half size up by my SA due to having a small, wide foot but the 7.5D was too large.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Haha hope to not land in my butt in these. I prefer 3 eyelets but the 2 eyelet ain't bad. I have a pretty high instep so even 2 eyelet is still pretty snug.

Thanks! I used to shy away away from tassels as well until I got my first one. Now I think I have 5 :)

9. Lcuan82

Lcuan82 New Member

Hello,

I've had several satisfactory purchases of AE factory seconds from shoebank.com. Recently I scored a pair of grey Daltons for $200, which is an awesome price, but they turn out to be structurally defective - the left shoe's eyestays are uneven, making the shoelaces appear lopsided (see pics below).

Give the great price, I am leaning towards keeping them, and hoping that they won't cause foot problems or break down faster down the road. The shoes fit well and aren't uncomfortable. If that a recommended course of action?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Luke

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

This is a pretty common problem for AE bluchers, even for firsts. You could actually try a different lacing pattern to correct the alignment. I don't think it will cause you any foot problems however if the look bothers you that much you should return it.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

12. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:I can attest to this as well. I've had some firsts converted to seconds because of the mismatch, but they were cordovan shoes. My Banchorys and GridIrons have the issue as well and they were 1sts but just living with it. Especially the price I paid for them its hard to argue. Its a bit disappointing as I have to think about it now every time I want to buy a pair of bluchers from AE. All my AE boots have been fine though. I guess its just an inherent issue with the this type of shoe design and on a larger manufacturing scale.

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Cognac McTavish today
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  14. JSlice26

JSlice26 Member

Anyone else order seconds with the intention of zeroing in on any flaw you can find so you can then bring them into a regular retail store and upgrade to firsts?

I find myself doing this pretty often, I guess it helps me justify the purchase, lol

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:So you just return the 2nds and gets 1sts then?

16. JSlice26

JSlice26 Member

17. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

That seems like a very wise method, since you can also try different sizes.

18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks, @fiddlestyx . That's interesting. I felt like the 9D (my 5 last size) was a little big. Had the footbed been acceptable in either pair, then I might have kept them and just worn boot socks. Now that I sent them back, I am leaning towards ordering another pair. Just not sure if I should stick with same size or try 1/2 size down at 8.5D. (Too bad 9C isn't an option.)

And @Kahuna75 - Yes, I got them at the reduce priced (~$180 or so?) or else I would just buy firsts - in more than 1 size.

19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I find the Gobi roomy in the mid foot so I went a size down in width from my 511 last...13e in dalton. And 13d in Gobi....

I did the same got the Gobi for cheaper on shoebank when I missed the ae sale price...luckily my pair is in good shape or I would be kicking myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.