• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
What's everyone's experience with AE on eBay? I'm still a style noob and have been looking to upgrade my shoes (11.5D)... there looks to be a some nice finds on eBay (i.e., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item41642c6026#ht_500wt_1287), but I'm still wary.

I've bought two pairs of AE's on eBay. A gently used pair for Strands (for $130, they're the ones in my avatar) and a gently used pair of Margates (for $65). If you pay attention you can get some great buys, especially if your size is a little off, like mine. I wear 9.5E in the 5 last.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shell seconds have been disappointing thus far... I've gotten and returned two pairs of shell camrbidge, and my leeds came in last night. They look amazing, but I noticed on left side of the right shoe (Insole?) they cordovan has a big bump. This is probably a worthless post without a photo (will take a post once I get home from work) - but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas or have seen anything like what I'm describing? It almost looks like its bubbled out (probably about 1.5 inches)? I think I'm giving up on the shell seconds, and will probably save a bit and get a pair of first quality. I do have a pair of strand seconds in calf and they were perfect.

I can't comment on your issue w/out a picture but if you mean the insole as in the interior of the shoe, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I suspect you are referring to somewhere on the actual upper, in which case it may be very noticeable. I will note that this has been the first time I've had to return a pair of 2nds. I have a half dozen pair of AE's, half of which are factory 2nds.

When I noticed the defect on my factory 2nd shell Leeds, I felt the same way. I returned them to a standard AE store in hopes of exchanging for a 1st quality pair at $399 ($100 more than the 2nds). to my dismay, the Leeds wasn't part of the 1st quality shell promotion. I immediately called Edward in Freeport to order another pair of 2nds and they had one left in my size at the warehouse. They'll arrive today.

Last edited:

asalerno

Reaction score
I can't comment on your issue w/out a picture but if you mean the insole as in the interior of the shoe, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I suspect you are referring to somewhere on the actual upper, in which case it may be very noticeable. I will note that this has been the first time I've had to return a pair of 2nds. I have a half dozen pair of AE's, half of which are factory 2nds.

I would certainly get the leeds if they were on sale for firsts. I do not think I explained the part of the shoe very well, its in the inner part of the foot, where you would kick a soccer ball if you were passing it, on the upper. You can see it looking down on the shoes. I'll have pictures later tonight.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly get the leeds if they were on sale for firsts. I do not think I explained the part of the shoe very well, its in the inner part of the foot, where you would kick a soccer ball if you were passing it, on the upper. You can see it looking down on the shoes. I'll have pictures later tonight.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. It's a tough call as that part of the shoe is less noticeable but if it's as large as you say it may not be worth it.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the shine in those pics is a combination of Saphir Renovateur and standard brown Kiwi wax. The tin is a gray/silver color and is called:

Kiwi Select
Polished Leather
Premium Paste
Brown

Edited to add link:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-SELECT-Premium-Paste-Brown/dp/B0010TJ9FW

Patrick_b: does the Renovateur remove the wax from the shoe? I was under the impression that once I built up a nice shine with wax that any application of leather cleaner/conditioner would remove the wax, and I would have to start over again. Am I mistaken on this?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this vein, I wonder if there is a manufacturer that makes a solid fashion forward shoe that is also comfortable? I have 2 AEs and I like their comfort and I primarily use them for businesswear. The goodyear welt and the cork footbed is probably what makes them comfortable, I guess. However, the looks are a little stodgy. I've tried some To Boot NY and Mezlans and they look good, but I'm not sure about their comfort and the ability to mold to your foot.

I think Crockett & Jones offer a very high quality, welted product and a nice balance of classic English designs as well as sleeker models. I'm not familiar with their lasts but consider the C&J made RL shoes like the Marlow/Dalton shell PTB and wingtip. Both are about as sleek as an AE or Alden but made very well and look fantastic. C&J also offers some much different designs that would appeal to those looking for more sleek models. Alfred Sargent comes to mind as well.

However, you are also jumping up to a much different price point compared to AE.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Crockett & Jones offer a very high quality, welted product and a nice balance of classic English designs as well as sleeker models. I'm not familiar with their lasts but consider the C&J made RL shoes like the Marlow/Dalton shell PTB and wingtip. Both are about as sleek as an AE or Alden but made very well and look fantastic. C&J also offers some much different designs that would appeal to those looking for more sleek models. Alfred Sargent comes to mind as well.

However, you are also jumping up to a much different price point compared to AE.

That's my current dilemna. I love the quality and value of my AE's, but want something a little sleeker for the brown captoe I'm looking to purchase. C&J looks great, but that's a huge jump to $400-500, when you can easily get AE's for around the $200 mark (or cheaper). And the fashion brands just don't have the quality or bang for your buck. Come on AE, come out with a few more sleeker models on the 3 last.

Pastor

Reaction score
New styles are on the AE website. Neumoras are there along with cordo Park Avenues in Black, Burg, and Brown shell. Also have some $2,400 alligator Kenilworths for the highrollers among us. I love the Neumora but can't decide if I want black or brown. Also, the Park Avenues are at the $575 price point as of now. Doesn't AE have a big Memorial Day sale? If so I may wait until then. I'm thinking Black Shell Park Avenues and Brown Neumoras or maybe brown shell Park Avenues and black Nemoras. Decisions decisions...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New styles are on the AE website. Neumoras are there along with cordo Park Avenues in Black, Burg, and Brown shell. Also have some $2,400 alligator Kenilworths for the highrollers among us. I love the Neumora but can't decide if I want black or brown. Also, the Park Avenues are at the $575 price point as of now. Doesn't AE have a big Memorial Day sale? If so I may wait until then. I'm thinking Black Shell Park Avenues and Brown Neumoras or maybe brown shell Park Avenues and black Nemoras. Decisions decisions...

The burnishing on the brown Newmoras look amazing, get those, and then post pics.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Wow - Gator Kenilworths, Sheltons, Kenilworth golf shoes and Shelton golf shoes! No kidding about the price.

AND shell Park Aves (in brown, burgundy and black!) AND shell Norwich monk AND the Neumora double-monk AND two spectators! Big month.

Also, the Park Avenues are at the $575 price point as of now. Doesn't AE have a big Memorial Day sale? If so I may wait until then. I'm thinking Black Shell Park Avenues and Brown Neumoras or maybe brown shell Park Avenues and black Nemoras. Decisions decisions...

I was told that the shell Park Aves would be in the mid-400's effective early April for the 90th anniversary celebration. Also, yes, there is usually a Father's day, Memorial day and July 4 sale.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick_b: does the Renovateur remove the wax from the shoe? I was under the impression that once I built up a nice shine with wax that any application of leather cleaner/conditioner would remove the wax, and I would have to start over again. Am I mistaken on this?

While it does remove some wax, it's fairly insignificant. I find it blends the previous layers of wax more than removing it. Therefore (in)frequent touch ups with renovateur (every couple of weeks for me) serve to keep them looking good for much longer periods without additional wax. I only have to add wax every few months. Most upkeep involves simply using a slightly damp cloth to remove dust/dirt and especially salt in winter followed by brushing.

Saphir's Renomat is a fantastic product that will remove old layers of wax and do so very safely. It keeps the leather soft, supple and does not dry it out. Renomat was not available easily here in the states for a long while but recently Kirby Allison from the Hanger Project started stocking it and (I think) the entire saphir line. I have to say that Renomat and Renovateur are two of the finest shoe care products I've ever used. They are well worth the investment.

I just started using Saphir MDO Wax after sticking to Kiwi Select for years. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's that much better than kiwi however, I like the Renomat/Renovateur products so much, I figure I might as well go "all in" and start using a 100% Saphir regimen. Saphir wax may be something like 500% more expensive than kiwi, but it's still only $10 a tin. That tin will last me a year so it's not much of an investment to switch over.

harlequin782

Reaction score
damn...no wonder they're $2400... Ill admit, initially, the notion of an alligator kenilworth (especially for $2400) sounded like a joke. But damn those look breathtaking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads