1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Looking for something from AE that can be a beater rainy day and/or light snow shoe. Pebble grain, with some sort of raised welt (for water proofing), lugged/vibram or non leather sole. And, can double for work purposes. I seem to recall that AE had something like this:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...ar_MH00442_Color=DKBR&contentpos=84&cgid=0522

Doesn't have to be wingtip. Can be captoe or similar. I don't want to pay too much since I've got tons of shoes, lol. Maybe the above shoe was an AE for BB. Can't remember.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Oak street?? They also make it in CXL

http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4030_1_40000000001_-1?style=4031

3. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

Tried to jump on these, but the Ohio-Jefferson store couldn't find them! Showing in-stock in their system, but they couldn't find them on the floor or in the hold section. Supervisor is going to look again. Any advice on how to find 'em? The Townleys are sweet.

- Nick

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Fellow forum friends, in particular McNeil wearers - how do McNeils fit compared to Strands/Park ave or other 5 last models? Same size in both? Thanks for any feedback!

6. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

I have 3 pairs of strands 2 pairs of park aves and 2 pairs of McNeils and they are all the same 10e

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I wear 8.5D on my MacNeils (and Grayson) and 8E on strands.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

A huge difference is going to be what size you wear in the Strand/Park to take into account lacing the shoe...I personally go wider on strand/park to account for my high arch....if I went that width in the macneil I would be swimming in them.

9. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

Are BB shoes made by AE eligible for the recrafting service?

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The MacNeil has a shorter and more tapered toe. Some size up in length and down in width from the 5 last. Many (like me) size the same. It all depends on the shape of your foot, and where the ball sits in relationship to the toe of the shoe.

11. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

Yes they are. They are treated just like any other AE branded shoe.

12. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Sizing question carlyle (108 last) vs. Standard 5 last?

Also, has anyone tried using brown polish on the bourbon color? I previously read that bourbon should be treated with walnut but i have plenty of walnut shoes already. I'd prefer something brown, but there seems to be a bourbon sale at the shoebank.

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

PSA-

Go check out brooks brothers, theres a pretty good selection on sale with currently an additional 15% off.

14. AldenKappa

AldenKappa Active Member

Nice shoes. Does anyone know how the peal and company sizing compares to the 5th ave?

15. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

The two pair of C&J Peal & Co. that I have are true-to-Brannock-size, whereas most people go up a width on the Fifth Ave's 5 last. So if you are a D width, those should fit you.

16. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

My very small collection includes 3 AE, Gucci, & Bruno Magli.

Back row: AE McAllister, AE Strand
    Front row: Gucci bit loafers, Bruno Magli Maioco, AE Lucca
    [​IMG]

As can be seen my Lucca has been worn often. In the 4 years I've owned them I've probably worn them 500 times. The Strand has never been worn, this is my second pair. The first was done after around 100 wearings due to excessive creasing. The McAllister is likewise new and worn once on carpet at home.

Lucca is made in Italy and was told AE does not recraft these loafers. Can they be recrafted and can rubber soles be replaced with leather? They are very comfortable and I believe not made anymore. I wish I purchased a second pair in black leather with leather soles and this pair in brown as black suede attract dust and is highly visible. Brown is probably easier to keep clean and I'm in need of rich chocolate shoes but always select other colors. Strand in walnut and McAllister in merlot are beautiful.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  17. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

I love them! If I purchased another AE, this would be it. Unfortunately the last AE monk strap I tried on was very hard leather and did not feel luxurious. It had a bulky, lower quality plastic-like feel than previous AE purchases. What a shame!

18. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

Quick question...

are the mens leather perforated contrast boots being sold by brooks brothers just the cronmok made by AE, sold for Brooks Brothers? They look like the exact same shoe, but the brooks brothers model is on sale for $185.

SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN

19. waters

waters Member

Looks the same to me.

20. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.