• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got these in!
M5hTd.jpg

NqcCx.jpg
Horay! Hope it's okay I'm posting them with genes.
Burgundy/Merlot McAllisters. Jeans are raw KMW and socks are from Express.

^^^ Awesome shoes!

And jeans! Congrats on both!

bucksfan

Reaction score

Just got these in!
M5hTd.jpg

NqcCx.jpg

Congrats- those are very nice! Nice socks, too. I'm a sucker for argyles.

P.s. nice lacing, too!

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score

Anyone know the names of 2 apparently new brogue spectator models? I saw them at a trunk show at my local upscale menswear dealer & forgot their names an hour later. I think that 1 was called Hampton. (When I googled AE Hampton the results were a blobby loafer.) 1 was a full brogue wingtip in brown & mocha/off-white, & the other was a cap-toe where the cap peaks to a V w/ a U-throat.
I believe the upcoming wingtip spectator will re- use the "broad street" name. Not sure about the cap toe spectator. Can't wait to see them next month.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these in!
M5hTd.jpg

NqcCx.jpg

Sweet!! I picked those up a couple of weeks ago in Walnut and they are one of if not the most comfortable shoe I now own. They look damn good in merlot....

ncdobson

Reaction score
Quote:
I believe the upcoming wingtip spectator will re- use the "broad street" name. Not sure about the cap toe spectator. Can't wait to see them next month.

You're right; it was Broad Street. Makes me want to go to Philthadelphia and have a cheese steak.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these in!

NqcCx.jpg

P.s. nice lacing, too!

Those are very sharp indeed, and surprisingly work quite nicely with the denim. I think that straight lacing looks so much better in many applications, esp on a nice, sleek balmoral. It even works on some bluchers. My Tresana started out like this:

And I eventually switched to this. I wasn't sure if it would work on a blucher but these are fairly sleek, especially for an AE.

My only complaint is that they aren't as easy to tighten from the top with that lacing pattern. But it looks so much better, it's worth the small inconvenience.

Shiny

Reaction score

This is an interesting point, I too have found that my favorite AE models are now discontinued. It makes you wonder why the AE target market overlooks the slender, rounded or chiseled toe shoe models they sparingly release. We must really be in a different stylistic world than the average American business man. Is the sartorial european influence that strong on this forum?
I suspect this question is rhetorical... :confused:

On this vein, I wonder if there is a manufacturer that makes a solid fashion forward shoe that is also comfortable? I have 2 AEs and I like their comfort and I primarily use them for businesswear. The goodyear welt and the cork footbed is probably what makes them comfortable, I guess. However, the looks are a little stodgy. I've tried some To Boot NY and Mezlans and they look good, but I'm not sure about their comfort and the ability to mold to your foot.

asalerno

Reaction score
My shell seconds have been disappointing thus far... I've gotten and returned two pairs of shell camrbidge, and my leeds came in last night. They look amazing, but I noticed on left side of the right shoe (Insole?) they cordovan has a big bump. This is probably a worthless post without a photo (will take a post once I get home from work) - but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas or have seen anything like what I'm describing? It almost looks like its bubbled out (probably about 1.5 inches)? I think I'm giving up on the shell seconds, and will probably save a bit and get a pair of first quality. I do have a pair of strand seconds in calf and they were perfect.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only complaint is that they aren't as easy to tighten from the top with that lacing pattern. But it looks so much better, it's worth the small inconvenience.

Mr. Patrick_b, what polish do you use on the Tresanas? I'm having a hard time keeping mine looking polished, especially the toe. Any suggestions?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My shell seconds have been disappointing thus far... I've gotten and returned two pairs of shell camrbidge, and my leeds came in last night.  They look amazing, but I noticed on left side of the right shoe (Insole?) they cordovan has a big bump.  This is probably a worthless post without a photo (will take a post once I get home from work) - but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas or have seen anything like what I'm describing?  It almost looks like its bubbled out (probably about 1.5 inches)?  I think I'm giving up on the shell seconds, and will probably save a bit and get a pair of first quality.  I do have a pair of strand seconds in calf and they were perfect.

1.5" is a big bump on a shoe! Yet another fairy tale with a sad ending... :(

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are expecting.... they are seconds for a reason... especially since Cordovan is so tough, it will likely be more than simply a scar.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what you guys are expecting.... they are seconds for a reason... especially since Cordovan is so tough, it will likely be more than simply a scar.

I think the issue is more so that people here use to bank on the consistently minimal issues of AE seconds. That does not seem to be the case any more...

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know the names of 2 apparently new brogue spectator models? I saw them at a trunk show at my local upscale menswear dealer & forgot their names an hour later. I think that 1 was called Hampton. (When I googled AE Hampton the results were a blobby loafer.) 1 was a full brogue wingtip in brown & mocha/off-white, & the other was a cap-toe where the cap peaks to a V w/ a U-throat.

This is from their catalog:

Broadstreet traditional wingtip - black/white 9003, brown/white 9023, walnut/bone 9033

Hamptons (notice the s at the end to differentiate from loafer you saw) short wingtip - walnut/white 6661

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads