1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

Thoughts on the Patriot loafer in Football Grain, or on shoes of said leather in general? I already have the Patriots in brown, are these significantly different?

2. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Need some advice..
    Looking into buying Dundee but am not sure about the size. I have Daltons in bourbon in 10E and they fit well, should I do the same in Dundee or 10D/9.5E will work.
    (Shoebank has Dundee in 10D/9.5E but not 10E) . Thanks

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

My advice is to spend the extra $150 and get a pair in the size that fits you best.

You don't want to spend $500 and end up with a shoe that doesn't fit perfectly...

4. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thanks @peppercorn78 , so both boots does fit exactly same. I'll go with 10E then- may be next AE sale

5. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I own the Pariots both in brown and football grain. I like them both - they fit very similarly. The brown calf gets office wear. The football grain are my fall Saturday staples. Even bought the belt to match.

6. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  7. rostov

rostov Senior member

I own the Duke and love the leather. It shows no wrinkles, but is instead wavy. It wears well and looks great. I've been treating it with Lexol and, more recently, VSG.

It's a decent shoe and despite the relatively high price I paid for it, being an "AE for Allen Edmonds" shoe. It has become a staple for my summer wear and I've even broken it out a few times in fall and winter. I work from home, and when I do go into the office, it's very casual, so I get away with wearing casual shoes all week long.

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

9. peppercorn78

Might be the 0 last, actually

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

From the photos I've seen, the 0 was pretty great, the 4 is still nice [​IMG]

11. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Struck out on the oxblood strands. The one pair in my size at a local store was, in my non-expert opinion, not up to par. The burnishing was way off, bright red on the sides with big black splotches under the tongue. Display model in a different size had a beautiful finish that was smooth with minor variations, but maybe it's just in my head at this point.

I tried on a pair of McCallisters in merlot and would have went with them but they dug into my ankles something fierce. Seemed strange since they are on the same last as the strand which fits great.

Maybe I will roll the dice on some seconds if there is an after xmas sale.

First world problems man, just want a pair of burgundy dress shoes.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. peppercorn78

Park Ave comes in both merlot and burgundy shell.

13. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Totally valid point on the PAs. I have them in black and am not really looking for another pair, but I might have to reconsider.

Shell is attractive, but I am not sure it is for me...which is another way of saying it is too rich for my blood at this point.

14. peppercorn78

I hear you. If I hadn't had to chance to purchase these shell seconds at $299, I doubt I would have had much interest in the Park af all. Thank God I did!
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Very nice shoes, they look sharp. How does the shell affect the fit for you? Did you go with the same size as calf shoes?

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Agreed. I like the 4 last as well. Along with 108 and 97 last, they are probably my favorite AE lasts.

I wish they made the Portland in the 4 last.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Or another maker. I do find that AE lasts I've tried so far to have universally shallow insteps. For me, it just means a bit of a "V" in the laces, but for others I can understand why they just wouldn't fit.

Depending on budget, I'd suggest you spread the net a bit: at the cheaper end, Loake or Barker will have more accommodating lasts for your foot shape. If you want to go a bit more exotic, try Vass's U Last: it's stunning to look at, and has a very steep instep.

18. catside

catside Senior member

Westchester cordovan 9d is under 300 at shoe bank. Smart shoe if you like loafers.

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

PSA: BB semi-annual sale is up on their website . . . most if not all AEs appear to be 30% off.

20. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Fit question:

Does anyone have any experience with new shoes being tight in the arch/the outside of the midfoot and them eventually stretching out? I've had tightness in the toe on before that eventually eased, but I can feel the tightness even when seated. Thanks in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.