• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkySaw

Reaction score
Here you go! A Player's in dark brown suede - on clearance:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any chance that this thread can make some sense of the Allen Edmonds naming conventions? What, exactly, are the categories and rules?

I know some of them.  For instance, the business-appropriate, cap-toe, balmorals are named for avenues (fifth avenue, park avenue, strand).  Their corresponding boots are named for streets (fifth street, etc.).  Brogue wingtips have Scottish names (McAllister, MacNeill) (but what about the McGraw penny loafers?).  Independence collection are named for founding fathers.  Are certain more casual shoes named for cities, which ones?  Then there's the -mok designation (does it refer to unlined shoes? Amok, Neumok, Cronmok, and Strandmok?)

I'm sure that the naming scheme doesn't follow strict rules, but it would be helpful (at least to me) and fun (again, at least to me) to get some sense of what the guidelines are for the names,  

Web description of Amok suggests that it was so named because management felt that design had run "amok" by building an unlined chukka with butyl sole. Seems like they then applied the "mok" suffix to all unlined models. "Neu" suggests "new," as in Neumora was the "new Mora " when it was introduced.

I supposed there is some casual logic behind the naming, but I don't think it's all that strictly adhered to...

I think the new spring casuals were named after streets in downtown Chicago...

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any chance that this thread can make some sense of the Allen Edmonds naming conventions? What, exactly, are the categories and rules?

I know some of them.  For instance, the business-appropriate, cap-toe, balmorals are named for avenues (fifth avenue, park avenue, strand).  Their corresponding boots are named for streets (fifth street, etc.).  Brogue wingtips have Scottish names (McAllister, MacNeill) (but what about the McGraw penny loafers?).  Independence collection are named for founding fathers.  Are certain more casual shoes named for cities, which ones?  Then there's the -mok designation (does it refer to unlined shoes? Amok, Neumok, Cronmok, and Strandmok?)

I'm sure that the naming scheme doesn't follow strict rules, but it would be helpful (at least to me) and fun (again, at least to me) to get some sense of what the guidelines are for the names,  

That's a great question.

I don't know the full answer, but I can add one thing, I think. The street names are city-specific and related to a collection. The balmorals and boots you cite are New York. The current CXL collection are Chicago street names. And then they had a collection of 2-last shoes that were San Francisco street names. So I think it's related to the collection that is introduced together; e.g.: the current Chicago are all semi-casual, CXL, with a mix of balmoral and blucher. They are welted, so maybe fit into the street naming idea, but they aren't intended to be confused with the New York shoes, which are more formal.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Some quick ideas:
You already seem to have dress, casual, and boots covered. So looking at what you might be missing, are the Chocolate Daltons a color you don't have?
But I might suggest going with your original thought on the Rush Street or even something in suede like the Strand (if it's still available suede), since those would be new to your collection in leather type, and you can get both in Dainite soles. Both casual but also wearable with slacks.
But maybe this is the time to get the brown Cordovan Strand? Always room in anyone's collection for those, I think. Although they don't fit your bad weather requirement.

Re: Chocolate Daltons - I figured I could use these as the dress boot I would wear in the rain since these have a double butyl sole when I don't want to expose the cordovan Dalton's nor wear the lug soled Long Branch & Alden.

Re: Rush Street:: 1) I'm afraid they may look too casual to an extent, 2) I am a EE width in the 5 last. I have a 10E in a a Fifth Avenue that I've worn twice, but they feel hopelessly too tight. A 10EEE is way too loose. I can make an 11D work but it feels a tad too long and a tad too narrow. 10EE is perfect. Rush Street is not available in a EE.

Re: Strand: I have a dark brown Strand in calf. It's an 11.5D (from before I lost a lot of weight, and figured out my true size). I wont bother getting it recrafted, but it still has some life left in the sole. I've considered the Cordovan Strand and it is still on my maybe list for this purchase.

Re: Cambridge: I was thinking these would take over for my Merlot McAllisters (which are sized as an 11D - still better than some of my older AE's that were 11.5D, but not perfect. The McAllisters I thought I may relegate to duty when the weather was not Cambridge friendly.

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

+1 on the suede shoes. Also, looking at your collection you have very formal assortment of shoes, especially for a business casual environment, you have lots on wingtips and most your shoes are balmorals. I would suggest getting some blutchers in your collection, perhaps a Flatiron, Leeds or Kenilworth.

I have several bluchers in the closet:

Clifton: in black calf & merlot calf
Player's: black calf, walnut calf, and bitter chocolate suede

The problem is these are all 11.5D's. I can still make these work, but I don't wear them all that often. I could probably use 10E's in Clifton, and either the same in Player's or maybe a 9.5EEE or 10EEE.

I used to have black Mctavish for Friday wear, but I sold them because they stopped fitting me. Come spring/summer I'll be wearing my Patriots more often: in merlot calf (with V-Tread) and brown shell cordovan.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

The shoe that appears to be missing from your collection is a monkstrap. They are a very nice casual shoe, perfect for your type of need. Another option might be a dark brown suede Neumok or a Patriot loafer.
I like the Mora 2.0 in brown, however I don't think I could pull it off. I like the suede Neumok but how to size it if I'm a 10EE in Park Avenue? I already have two pairs of Patriots, my brown cordovan's are still waiting to be worn outside for the first time (waiting for all the snow to be gone), so not really looking to add a third pair right now

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Here you go! A Player's in dark brown suede - on clearance:
Already have a pair, unfortunately the sizing isn't perfect since I bought these in 11.5D before I became better educated about my size:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have several bluchers in the closet:

Clifton: in black calf & merlot calf
Player's: black calf, walnut calf, and bitter chocolate suede

The problem is these are all 11.5D's. I can still make these work, but I don't wear them all that often. I could probably use 10E's in Clifton, and either the same in Player's or maybe a 9.5EEE or 10EEE.

I used to have black Mctavish for Friday wear, but I sold them because they stopped fitting me. Come spring/summer I'll be wearing my Patriots more often: in merlot calf (with V-Tread) and brown shell cordovan.

Here's a thought. Why not pick one of your current shoes and send it back for resoling? They could put a dainite, V-tread, or butyl sole on one of your office shoes. The problem would be turnaround time.

shartmann

Reaction score
Are the standard laces on Park/Fifth Avenues the "Basic Glazed Laces" or the "Dawhyde" laces? Need some replacements.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF817_1_40000000001_-1_

or

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF710_1_40000000001_-1_

They look very similar. I'd go with the "basic glazed", as someone posted a question on the AE site at the link you provided above, and this was the answer from AE:

Allen Edmonds Basic Glazed Replacement Laces are simply a new and improved version of our Dawhyde Waxed Laces; both feature a waxed coating which helps to keep your laces tightly tied throughout the entire day.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Allen Edmonds Customer Service

shartmann

Reaction score
During the outlet sale a few months ago, they had a pair of burgundy shell Park Avenues in my size of 12D. I passed on them, even though they were at a great price ($299). Then I saw some pictures posted here, by bucksfan, so I changed my mind. Too late, as now they were gone (perhaps sold to bucksfan?).

Fortunately, there was another pair available during the sale last month and I purchased them immediately. Hardly any flaws that I can see, and I think I will end up wearing these a lot. Thanks bucksfan for posting your pics a few months ago. Here's my pair during my first outing last week (lacing is intentionally a bit loose, as this pic was taken during the first few hours of wear):

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Here's a thought. Why not pick one of your current shoes and send it back for resoling? They could put a dainite, V-tread, or butyl sole on one of your office shoes. The problem would be turnaround time.

Most of my older shoes I will not resole or recraft because they are the wrong size.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of my older shoes I will not resole or recraft because they are the wrong size.

Time to put them on the bay, bro. They're not doing you any good sitting in your closet, unworn. Tryst me, I've been through it. Had to shed 4 pairs due to incorrect sizing as well.

Just curious, did u get sized at an AE store or a Nordstrom? If so to either, you might be able to get some sort of consideration for your troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads