Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Just received a call from AE about my bowing shell Bradleys. It was exactly 4 weeks to the day that I sent them back via UPS. She said the shoes were defective and too wide at the mouth and could not be repaired. They are making me a new pair but warned me it could be a month or so as their supplier of Cordovan leather is backed up on all colors. Yesterday I ordered the Strands in walnut shell so they will likely take awhile too then. Although the Bradleys took 2 months to be delivered from the time I ordered them, so pretty much expected that. She also did say all Cordovan shoes are made to order now. And that my new shoes would go to her personally and be measured before they sent them to me. Bravo Zulu to AE.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Condolences, friend...

The waiting game is a harsh mistress... :plain:

3. JubeiSpiegel

I was feeling "cordovan envy", but it looks like it comes at a price...

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It is worth it though [​IMG]

Even calf can bow because of the construction AE uses. And I do like the construction, build and feel AE uses on my feet. This is the first pair I've had bow out of 11 AE shoes, luck of the draw I guess. Some of those are causal shoes and some boots however. I also ordered the Clifton in walnut calf yesterday because of the reviews on here. I should at least have those soon!

5. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

While its no 4 week wait, and not for cordovan, my blue Neumoks are back-ordered (says "availability: 7-10 days"). Seems to me that they dont keep much of a stock of my size in the 5 last: 7.5D. Two AE stores here in NYC had nothing close that my size in the Neumok, Player, and a few others.

6. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Interesting.. apparently the PA will be available in brown shell cordovan as well... :slayer:

7. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Thanks!! I think I'm going to get that, looks just like the C&J Sydney.

It seems AE makes a steady supply of the blobey shoes, but keeps experimenting with the sleek ones with many discontinuations.

8. JubeiSpiegel

This is an interesting point, I too have found that my favorite AE models are now discontinued. It makes you wonder why the AE target market overlooks the slender, rounded or chiseled toe shoe models they sparingly release. We must really be in a different stylistic world than the average American business man. Is the sartorial european influence that strong on this forum?

I suspect this question is rhetorical... :confused:

9. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

I suspect not! So i'll go off on my nutty ideas [​IMG]

Well considering that Nordstrom is the largest retailer of AE, when you go there and look for a sleek shoe you will be led to Ferragamo or Santoni and the hideous Magli's; where as if you are a Trad you would be led to AE. Most people on this forum are looking for a good year welt and the only option in the next price range for the sleek shoe is C&J which are such a pain to find.

There is barley anything in the AE 0 last, lets hope they come up with some more interesting items in the 333 last. I guess AE just dosen't see the number of sales in the sleeker lasts otherwise why wouldn't they make more. Instead they waste time on the webgems!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Er, I don't think the web gems are a waste. I saw numerous posts here expressing unbridled enthusiasm for the cappuccino special make ups. And I shamelessly ordered a pair of Ridgeways. The "limited edition" shoe is a sound marketing tactic and as a bonus boosts resale value for SF members who decide to sell later.

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I have to imagine that for each one of the style forum members buying a sleek shoe, 10 or 20 park avenues, woodstocks and Maxfields are sold to American, European and now Asian businessmen. Before I knew this place existed, I knew AE as the "best" American made shoes, from my business circles. (Even Alden is rarely seen or discussed, but that might be due to my Midwest location)

I also like the limited edition web gem approach, if that will make additional creative shoes and leathers available.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

12. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

Anyone know the names of 2 apparently new brogue spectator models? I saw them at a trunk show at my local upscale menswear dealer & forgot their names an hour later. I think that 1 was called Hampton. (When I googled AE Hampton the results were a blobby loafer.) 1 was a full brogue wingtip in brown & mocha/off-white, & the other was a cap-toe where the cap peaks to a V w/ a U-throat.

13. plei89

plei89 Senior member

If anyone's looking for Strands, I have some brand new:
    Burnish Brown: 8.5D
    Walnut: 9D, 9D, 10D

Check my listings :slayer:

14. tom10167

tom10167 Active Member

Just got these in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Horay! Hope it's okay I'm posting them with genes.

Burgundy/Merlot McAllisters. Jeans are raw KMW and socks are from Express.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ Awesome shoes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.