1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Red pants with a black leather jacket.

[​IMG]

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is a Ridgeway? I remember the orange welt but not the purple/Pink with matching stitching...

3. thexfactor

thexfactor Active Member

Its red stiching and red laces. Color with the picture.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Swung by the Altman's closing sale in Chicago yesterday. They have quite a bit of AE shoes still in stock at 40% off, and they're doing 50% off if you buy more than one pair. They have only one shell cordovan pair left in 9 (brown captoe blucher, if I recall, but can't remember the model, was very old stock), and "basically nothing in shell" at 9.5+. There are a few pairs of shell left in 8.5, including two pairs of Burgundy Leeds, one in rough shape one in mediocre shape, that might be able to rescued and cleaned up by someone knowledgable. There are a few display models left in relatively small sizes (6-7.5) in shell, and I was told that there is still a decent amount of calfskin left, although very low stock in the more popular sizes (9.5-11.5).

As far as my own loot, I managed to snag my first pair (!) of shell shoes - a pair of Strands in Brown Cordovan. Very happy, as 40% off first-quality shell shoes is not a deal that comes up often. Cleaned them up and shined them using the Mac method (although they did need a little AE cordovan cream, so I deviated from the method there). Love the natural variances in the shell - very cool. Looking forward to wearing these soon. Pictures below (not the greatest photographer, but it'll do).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Ugh...I'm a 9/8.5. Why don't I live in Chicago?

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Great pick up, would love to find out exactly what they had in 8.5D shell. Anyone care to proxy something to Canada?

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

@thexfactor, why would you buy those Ridgeways if you didn't know what you could wear with them? One of the reasons they are so hard to match with anything is that the design itself contains such massive contradictions between formal and informal elements.

Formal elements:
    Black
    Balmoral
    5 last is a fairly formal last IMO

Informal:
    Casual leather (doesn't appear to be calf anyway)
    Wingtip brogue
    Contrast lacing
    Contrast stitching
    Mini lug sole

Some mixing of formal and informal elements is fine and can look great (a black brogue for example) but those shoes have such strong contrasts that I can't really think of anything appropriate that I'd wear 'em with. If you're going to wear them, then I'd just say screw it, wear them with whatever you want, and own the look.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I asked him to bring out all the AE in shell cordovan in 8.5 D, and he brought me three pairs (one of which was the pair of Strands I bought).

The other two pairs ere both burgundy Leeds. The first pair of Leeds was split between a display model and the box, and the display model looked very rough. Heavily scuffed up (maybe could be polished out) but looked rather faded, especially compared to the shoe in the box. I think this pair actually looked somewhat better than the second pair, even with the discrepancy between the faded display shoe and the box shoe.

The second pair of Leeds was not a display pair, but it appeared to be quite old stock (the sole did not have the Horween shell cordovan oval logo, but simply said "Shell Cordovan" in the italic AE font). The shell itself was very light and faded in a few spots, almost white, on the toe of one shoe, and on the eyestay of the other shoe. I suspect that it could be rejuvenated with some cordovan cream or another product. Also, the shoe with a faded white toe also exhibited some strange separation of the split-reverse welt, specifically the part of the welt that runs along the edge of the shoe (above the edging), was running along the white toe area with a large gap (almost 1/4" inch) between the welt and the toe leather. Very strange, and I don't know what could be done to fix that short of putting on a new welt or gluing to the shell (bad idea, I suspect).

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Man, I am envious, that brown shell Strand is a shoe I really want, but I can't do $650. There has been a pair that has been showing as available in my size on Shoe Bank forever, but apparently it is a phantom shoe that is not really there, yet it continues to be listed as available on Shoe Bank! I contacted the store many times and they swear it's not there.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Great strands....Congrata!

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on some brown shell Strands during the last tent sale but decided to hold out for first-quality "someday," and got lucky with this store closing sale.

Thanks!

12. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

PSA: Altman's, the store in Chicago that is closing with the 40-50% off sale, can do phone orders. I just put in my order for a burgundy shell McNeils in 7D. They have a 6.5 D Leeds still as far as small sizes go, along with a few calf shoes too. Since they are shipping the shoes, there is no tax if you are out of state, but there was a $15 shipping fee. My purchase came out to be $340, which seemed like a good deal on shell firsts. I'd give them a call since the shipping fee would probably be lower than a tax fee anyway.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Nothing as exciting as Shells for $340...but I just re-ordered the Olive Neumok in my proper 65 last size..really love this shoe..the old pair heading to the sell pile....LOL

14. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

They were included as close outs briefly during the 2 for 299 sale. I snagged a pair of brown Harrison's but someone beat me to the walnut Jefferson in my size.

15. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

I think their phone started ringing off the hook after this post. I just called and they said they are not taking any phone orders due to limited staff and can't go search for what is available.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  16. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Broke out the Daltons today. Only their second wear. Finally cool enough to justify boots. What is the normal break-in for these? They are very stiff.

[​IMG]

17. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Beautiful if you don't want them, I am an 8.5 too

18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yeah, I would imagine so. They were very busy even when I was in the store yesterday morning - they were helping in-person customers on a wait list system (and their stockroom is large and apparently a few minutes' walk from the showroom floor).

My First Avenue boots, which have about the same amount of leather as the Daltons, are taking a lot of time to break in as well. I've worn them already a few times around the house for several hours, and have walked outside for about 3-4 miles in them, and they're still quite stiff. I think they'll need quite a bit of time.

Thanks, but I'm definitely keeping them.

19. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Congrats on the brown shell Strands JS01!

Just added some festive AE laces to mine and have been rocking the holiday look. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's week is going well!

1 person likes this.
  20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.