• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris45

Reaction score
I have seen that wear method (with the laces wrapped and not all the way through the speed hooks) -- and I wear it from time to time.. just depends how much support I want in the boot.

Note: I have skinny ankles/legs and my Long Branch's do not fully close a the top speed hook, but I intentionally lace up a bit looser when going through all the speed hooks because if not, it's a bit too tight for me.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score

A few of you with Townleys always posts for "Townley Thursday", I am always jealous because I missed out on the Shell Townleys in my size... So, I am today doing Thomas Thursday, as is my brown shell Thomas Jeffersons... this morning in the sunlight.
I personally like thomas thursday better than townley thursday... not that the townleys are an ugly shoe, they are beautiful in their own right, just like yours better.

DNSamurai

Reaction score

Picture above are brown shell Strand seconds which I can grab still as part of the $299. SA sent the picture saying the only thing she can see wrong is the crease in the shoe.

Do you guys think this a deal breaker, or is that something that should work itself out over time? My options are to grab theses Strands and return shell Jeffersons (which I just don't love), or pass on these, return the Jeffersons, and save the money for future purchases.

What's the play here gentlemen?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Well i'm fairly certain that it isn't going to work itself out. They won't un-crease. Plus, they look like places where the shoe won't naturally crease.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picture above are brown shell Strand seconds which I can grab still as part of the $299. SA sent the picture saying the only thing she can see wrong is the crease in the shoe.

Do you guys think this a deal breaker, or is that something that should work itself out over time? My options are to grab theses Strands and return shell Jeffersons (which I just don't love), or pass on these, return the Jeffersons, and save the money for future purchases.

If I recall, you weren't crazy about the Jeffersons because you thought they were too "blobby" and too formal, correct?

In my opinion, the Strands aren't any less formal or less blobby. In fact, they have an identical shape. So I would either forgo both pairs, or keep the one that's in better condition.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
If I recall, you weren't crazy about the Jeffersons because you thought they were too "blobby" and too formal, correct?

In my opinion, the Strands aren't any less formal or less blobby. In fact, they have an identical shape. So I would either forgo both pairs, or keep the one that's in better condition.

Good memory; but I disagree about the look of the two shoes. I already own the Strands in walnut calf and black calf. I find it to be a much sleeker shoe than the Jefferson.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine crease there.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Bayfields today. Standard makeup, just in 12.5 EEE. Toes have no finish on them. That's odd. Spoke with Allison; she was very helpful and she is having me send them back.

johngee

Reaction score

Also received some shell today from the 2nd's sale: burgundy Westchester and burgundy Cambridge. I know the Cambridge is a fan-favorite around here, but I personally think it looks a little...blobby...as another member described the 5-last earlier this week. Also, not sure what to think of the Westchester's. Keep or return? Cambridge:
You must have ordered the Cambridge in size 11B right before me during the sale...I just missed out! Congrats, they look great. I'll be on the lookout next time!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine crease similarly, just not across the lacing area, if that makes sense at all.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That just looks to me like someone wore them (i.e., paced around the house in them for a few hours) before you did. Unlike, say, your typical Alden retailer, AE is pretty lenient about letting you return shell that has visible crease marks. And, while some maintain that there are "right" and "wrong" places for creasing to develop, I've never quite understood why that would be true.

If it were me, if that's the only thing wrong with them, for $299 I'd keep them.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My MTO promontory boots are scheduled to be shipped tomorrow. The make up isn't exactly what i was looking for since they could add the blue lining and they forgot to do black eyelets/speedhooks, but I don't really mind. the unlined suede tongue looks a little funky, but i kind of like it and it'll probably be more comfortable as I have a high instep.

Allison sent me a picture, saying I could return them if i didn't like them, but depending on how it feels on the inside (I've never had unlined CXL) I'll probably keep these.I'll upload more pictures when they come in.

Golden brown CXL with a dainite sole.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My MTO promontory boots are scheduled to be shipped tomorrow. The make up isn't exactly what i was looking for since they could add the blue lining and they forgot to do black eyelets/speedhooks, but I don't really mind. the unlined suede tongue looks a little funky, but i kind of like it and it'll probably be more comfortable as I have a high instep. Allison sent me a picture, saying I could return them if i didn't like them, but depending on how it feels on the inside (I've never had unlined CXL) I'll probably keep these.I'll upload more pictures when they come in. Golden brown CXL with a dainite sole.
Beautiful! Another winner. I think AE should consider placing these MTO designs into production. Or just turn over all their boot design to this thread...

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My MTO promontory boots are scheduled to be shipped tomorrow. The make up isn't exactly what i was looking for since they could add the blue lining and they forgot to do black eyelets/speedhooks, but I don't really mind. the unlined suede tongue looks a little funky, but i kind of like it and it'll probably be more comfortable as I have a high instep.

Allison sent me a picture, saying I could return them if i didn't like them, but depending on how it feels on the inside (I've never had unlined CXL) I'll probably keep these.I'll upload more pictures when they come in.

Golden brown CXL with a dainite sole.

Those look terrific. Unlined CXL rocks. I might have held out for the speed hooks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads