1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

Those look great, and would look even better with a darker sole edge and welt. I have been wanting to try this and with these now on clearance maybe I can get a shoebank pair to play with

1 person likes this.
  2. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I have those exact same socks!

3. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Do you guys size up with independence lined shoes?

4. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

For someone with a high instep, is there a particular last I should be paying attention to from A.E.? I read the description of their different lasts, and chatted with one of their representatives online, but they didn't really seem to understand my question (seemed to focus more on width, than on height at the instep). Since the MacNeil wingtips seem to be a web exclusive, I'd have to go to a store and try another shoe in the 97 Last.

The two shoes I have in mind are the: Larchmont Wingtips
    [​IMG]

and the MacNeil Wingtips

[​IMG]

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The MacNeils are their most popular longwing. Don't worry, they'll have 'em in the store. Only that particular color and the brown burnished are exclusive to the web.

6. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Ok, good to know, thanks. It is still a 2 hour drive to the nearest store, so I hope you're right!

7. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. falathar

falathar Senior member

I have a pair of McTavish and Neumoks in the exact same size. The McTavish fit me a bit looser and I have a bit of heel lift whereas the Neumoks are a comfortable snug fit. I went into an AE store to have someone take a look and they said the fit looks ok on the McTavish.

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Completely agree that the flat laces look better. AE doesn't make brown flat boot laces though. Got these from Alden ;-)

You know what they say about great minds :)
    I do size up 0.5 for Indy insoled shoes. Indy lining doesn't affect my sizing at all.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Another one just arrived. I'm on a roll!!![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new to the game. So, I'll ask it here:

What is your most comfortable pair of AE shoes?

If you had to wear only one pair for one day, which would it be? I'm not talking about the one that looks the best, or is the most versatile. I'm talking about the one shoe that fits and feels better than any of the others. Maybe it didn't fit perfectly right out of the box, but it took a while to break in and get it just right. Or, heck, maybe it was the one that fit immaculately right out of the box. I dunno.

Just curious.

12. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Interesting. I didn't know the Indy sole affected sizing. I'll have to go home and compare fit with my Jefferson.

13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Not the outsole but the insole. Normal insoles are leather. Indy insole is leather wrapped in lamb skin.

14. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Oh man. I'm drooling. MTO?

15. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Yeah GMTO. The order was placed during RDA.

16. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

My most comfortable AE shoes are the BB Aberdeen LWB. They're not my favorite or the most attractive, although I do like them a lot. They are definitely the most comfortable. I attribute it to the rubber sole and the poron insole. Also, my guess is that the distressed leather shoes require less break-in.

[​IMG]

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I bet I'm gonna be the only one to say this, but my black calf Neumora. The 3 last runs slightly loose on me, but not enough to go down a size or width. I had a cobbler put an extra notch on both straps, and it's like second skin.

For the record, I find AE's black custom calf to be grippier and stretchier and more comfy than the other calf colors. I remember Paul G saying in a recent Reddit that he sources black from an entirely different tannery than the other colors.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Those look fantastic. Alden-esque. They did a good job with the fudging on yours, which I normally don't care for.

Do you like the new darker #8 color?

19. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I think that is super subjective because of foot shapes and lasts. I guess for me, the Park Avenue.

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I like it for this pair. But I think I prefer the lighter one for the MacNeil, Leeds and Grayson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.