1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VA17

VA17 New Member

Nice collection! I notice you went with an 8.5D Mcgregor, half a size smaller than what it looks like you have for the other shoes on that last in your collection. Care to elaborate on why you went in that direction? I ask because I had a hunch it may be best to do the same thing myself, but I haven't decided.

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I have a somewhat high instep. I measure an 8.5D on the Brannock but nudging towards 9D. I can't fit into 8.5D 5-lasted balmorals, but the bluchers fit me great. I've tried 8.5E for the bals but it's too loose on my heel. This seems to be the only way it works for me! I tried the 9D McGregor but it was very loose and had lots of bowing in the sides when I walked. 8.5D fits great. My Bleeker Streets are also 8.5D for the same reason. They're a touch tighter in the toebox than the McGregor but still fit much better than the 9D pair I tried.

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Great pics gents....

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Woah! Crazy view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Oh, Tampa! I forgot to answer you a few days back! I'm from the Boynton Beach area (Palm Beach County).

6. rogejo321

rogejo321 Active Member

Hey guys. So my club Monaco shell macneils arrived and I'm looking for a little help determining how these may break in. I measure between a 9.5 and 10 on the brannoc, pretty much d width as well. However I have low insteps. 10s are always enormous on me, so I ordered a 9 and a 9.5 just for reference. The 9.5s actually feel pretty great, with the caveat that with my low instep, the quarters come together a good bit already. For those of you with these shoes, do they tend to break a good bit over time? I just don't want to go through the process of breaking in a nice pair of shell shoes just to have them start looking odd with the quarters touching. Any thoughts are appreciated.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

For some people the poron makes a huge difference and every so often I believe that Brooks Brothers by AE are made on different lasts than the AE version. So you may have a combo of factors.

Calf will stretch and that is one of the perils of buying off of ebay used..you just do not know if the person who owned them hasd the right size meaning they could have been tight for that person but they wore them anyway and stretched them.

If the shoes have never been worn AE will take them back for an exchange

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Thanks.

Yes I think both of those factors are at play here. The used shoes hop doubt have been stretched a bit, and I contacted AE and been told that the Poron insoles do affect sizing.

So I was about to exchange my new pair of 8.5D Sheltons for 8D when I got the following conflicting opinions from two other AE stores.

Now more confused than ever.

10. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Does anyone know of any AE belts that are 1" wide? It looks like most of their belts are nearly 1.5" wide, which does not look right with a slim-cut suit on a slim frame.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Depends on the belt. I think my Color 8 belt is about 1".

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I know MTO Eagle County boots are all the rage haha, but my originals serve their purpose very well. Treated with HDLP, perfect for the winter and aging very gracefully. Snagged mine as seconds for $129 last winter, could not be more happy with them.

Anyone know the best way to clean up Vibram soles though?, they are getting a bit dirty. I tried a Magic Eraser but it didn't work very well at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

try a bleach and water mixture maybe?

15. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

How did you size compared to the 565 last?

16. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I got a pair of the original EC seconds for $129 too, and I love them! They do great in the winter (except as far as traction in lots of snow . . . but now I have the Long Branch to help me there). Honestly, as much as I've enjoyed looking at the MTO ECs, I like the original best with the more casual wedge sole.

17. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Will try it out, that actually reminded me of a bathroom cleaner cream with bleach I used when I was younger on my running shoes to clean them up. Should work too.

Quote:
    They are a size 8D, it turned out snug and probably should have went 8E. I did stretch them out a bit with some socks on a shoe tree and work fine now.

I find it fits slightly more narrow compared to the 5 last in the same size.

18. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Subtract half a size?
    Is there a consensus on this?

I'm just a hair over the line of a size 8 on that size guide. AE recommends going up to the next line, making me 8.5.
    Should I ignore that and stick to a size 8D?

19. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

[​IMG]

Ready to go to the wife's company Christmas party....walnut strands the shoe du jour.

20. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore the MTO (rubber soles) black Rutledges today. All of my shoes have rubber soles (a safety requirement on the railroad). I took this picture on a train earlier today.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.