1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Consensus is yes. And I personally noticed the same when trying BB Sheltons on in the past.

That said, I like the V on the left over that closed V on the right.

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

For people in Atlanta . . .

YOU'RE INVITED
    Friday, December 5th from 12-6pm
    Allen Edmonds is giving away three FREE pairs of shoes during the Pearson's Corner Grand Opening Event. Join us and you could win a pair of boots, golf or dress shoes. Excludes cordovan, exotic and custom shoes.
    Plus, enjoy light refreshments, tour the store and shop our selection of classic men's shoes, belts, apparel and accessories.

Event Location:
    Pearson's Corner
    3072 Early Street - Suite 102
    Atlanta, GA 30305
    404-665-0149
    atlanta70@allenedmonds.com

Hours: Mon-Sat 10-8 & Sun 12-6

3. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    I took this lovely photo today. I love how the strands on walnut look against any tone of blue. It's just breathtaking. Perfect weather too in Orlando, or how I like to callit Whorelando.

[​IMG]

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I think I can achieve the same level of shine with both waxes. When I say the AE wax is hard, it's unusable. I would need to put it on the stove or torch it somehow for it to be usable again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. LaffinPoet

LaffinPoet Active Member

Just got my first recraft back and they looked like a rush job done poorly. I had to tell the Rock Center store to send them back. The edge was not burnished / colored and the stitching looked way off. I was not happy when the sales person said that they looked fine... I should have taken a picture of them.

Btw - aren't they supposed to polish them before sending back?

Not sure if any of you guys have had a similar experience with the recrafting recently.

6. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Which service did you get? I think with just a a heel or sole job they won't refinish the uppers. I did have a bad experience with recrafting this summer with a warranty repair. I asked them not to refinish the uppers as they were new Dundee's however they had a few new scratches on them, which you could see in the after pic, but not the before. The main issue was the shipping. They put a shoe box in a box about 6 times the volume, big enough I didn't even pay it attention sitting in my leasing office nor say AE on it. But there was no filler what so ever. So the lid came off immediately the first time it was picked up and the shoes just bounced around off each other the whole ride. Showing up with lots of dents and dings in the upper. Sent them back with no real fix done on them at all. Got a free recrafting and 20% off next pair. So works out to about what I paid for them, they were 2nds. Used the 20% on a trunk show order. The free recraft might be worthless as I am hesitant to send another pair there.

7. LaffinPoet

LaffinPoet Active Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  8. Don Goldstein

Don Goldstein Senior member

I once used their recrafting service and was quite disappointed. It's worth the money to go with a place like B. Nelson in NY or Willie's in Los Angeles.

1 person likes this.
  9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Be aware that any goodyear-welted shoe is "recraftable". I had some Wilberts resoled with Vibram gumlite -- rather than the way-too-soft othello sole from the factory -- by B. Nelson for sixty bucks a couple years ago.

The biggest difference is Allen Edmonds uses the original lasts... but my Wilberts still fit just fine, and this time the soles haven't completely worn away over an 18-month span.

10. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Got my jingle bells today! They look great!! However, this may just be me being me, and I'm sorry guys... but does the right shoe (left in pic) look a bit off? Either way, I love the shoes and still think they look great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LaffinPoet

LaffinPoet Active Member

@Don & @Adam - both really good points. I should've figured that it usually takes more than one try to get right with AE shoes. The last pair that were in solid shape were the GMTO ECs, however, all most every other pair I have took at least two tries to get right in terms of finishing.

Just disappointed that after spending $135 on the service, I have to wait another two weeks to get my shoes back.

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I had some Sanfords recrafted earlier this year (also with v-tread). Shoes came back good as new and polished. No issues with them.

13. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

struck out on my first Belt order from the Shoebank website. Called the one store that was listed on Shoebank.com for my desired belt, NY Riverhead/Tanger Outlet, and was told "we have alot of belts in boxes that we will be putting out next week."

I understand it's the busiest weeks of the year and service level on a $50 belt might be different than a $300 pair of shoes. Hope others fared better and I'll keep trying.

14. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I'm 1-for-3 right now. Two of the ones I inquired about were "inventory errors" according to the reps. They are holding one for me. It's just a reversible one (which I just need for a basic, beater, black belt), but at $19.97, I'm willing to take a chance on it.

15. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

I think they look great! Rocking my Santa Moks to the squeeze's company holiday party tonight. She was actually the one who got these for me as an early Christmas gift...she doesn't like them but she just wanted me to stop taking about them! Haha [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Trader George

Haha that's awesome! And those look incredible, I'm quite jealous!

I just took two more pictures though, it seems the medallion on the right shoe (left in pictures) is almost coming off the shoe. I really can't be bothered to have them remade, but I'm not sure. What do you (and others) think? I know I overreacted to the flaw on my shell Daltons, so maybe I'm just doing that here. I only paid $180 for these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

Hi folks, new poster here. Quick question for you.

I recently purchased a pair of Strands in Walnut.

The pair I arrived in the mail (a replacement for a sizing issue) has a big splotch of what looks to be stray burnishing on the left shoe, but not the right. In the attached photo, you will notice the splotch on the outside of the toe area, and on the lacing (it is also on only one side of the lace rings). Apologies for the bad lighting - the marks are a bit darker than the photos show. I tried them on once, and I received the following comment from a family member: "Did you get ink on your new shoes?"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sales associate mentioned that this is perfectly normal, but I don't understand why burnishing on one shoe (in a random spot) and not the other is considered normal. Would someone tell me if I am being too picky or if this is normal for a new shoe purchased in the Allen Edmonds store?

18. ausimo

ausimo New Member

I called the same store and gave the SA the style and size. I was able to place the order in under 5 minutes!

19. Trader George

Hey, first of all welcome to the forums!

I'm probably the worst of them all on this forum when it comes to reacting to "flaws" on shoes (I overreact severely). However, I don't think the image you provided is bad at all. The lacing area does look a bit, erm, I don't know the word, but I think that has to do with the picture. Could you provide another picture from a bit further away?

20. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been lurking for quite some time and have found this thread to be extraordinarily useful.

Here is the photo that you requested:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Again, the coloring is slightly off. But there are no such markings on the matching shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.