1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

what is the difference? i always though derby = blucher and oxford = balmoral

2. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

This is getting over my head. I may have to move to the Wolverine thread. [​IMG]

3. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

I know these are pretty plain shoes, but I love the Leeds. Go with everything but a suit. These are awesome. They have the Gumlite sole and are my official rain shoes.

[​IMG]

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I wear my shell leeds with suits all the time.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Burnished chili webgems from May 2013. Don't wear them often enough as I forget how much I do like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. zombiesartre

zombiesartre Active Member

Merlot Eagle County GMTO's. What a great boot.
    [​IMG]

7. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Shell may be a different story. I don't think mine would look great with a suit. Way too casual.

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Check link in my sig. I think I have read that derby and bluchers are not the same either. I find it easier and technically correct to differentiate by saying open or closed laced shoes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I am starting to build a proper shoe wardrobe and just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes (black Park Avenues). I am now in the market for a quality polish kit, do you guys have any recommendations? Would something like this suffice? Also, what are your feelings on topies and would you recommend them?

10. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

I personally use AE products to care for all of my shoes. I'd pick up some of their conditioner, that will always come in handy for keeping your shoes healthy. Since you've got black PA,s I'd also recommend getting their black shoe cream (you could also get their black premium polish, I have premium polish in every colour they offer, but I've grown to like the shoe cream more). I also have a different horsehair brush for each colour shoe to avoid cross contaminating the colours. For buffing I just use an old t-shirt, although their cloths are quite nice as well, but they get covered in polish way too quickly.

My personal polishing process for calfskin shoes is quite easy, but everybody has their own way. I simply apply conditioner to the entire shoe with a cotton cloth, then I dip my finger in the shoe cream (or put the premium polish on my finger, despite the self-applicator) and apply the cream/polish evenly around the shoe. I find that using my fingers applies the polish better and more evenly than using a cloth or the self-applicator. After I've applied it to the shoe I brush it with a horsehair brush, buff it with a cloth, brush it again, buff for an extended period with a cloth, brush one more time, and buff for an even more extended period of time.

Regarding toppies, I have no experience with them, nor do I care to. Just my own opinion though.

I hope I could help.

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I've seen this explanation: A derby has those arching "gooseneck" seams that connect each quarter to the vamp that start at the welt and roll up and forward, then up to the laces. A true blucher, like the Leeds, does not. Sometimes a blucher merely has small pieces of leather sewn onto the vamp creating the lacing system.

12. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Congrats on your purchase and welcome. I agree loosely with TG's process for calf care. AE has some great care products and they have some nice care videos as well.

I have toppies on one of my loafers and I really like them. Definitely adds life to the sole and doesn't change the shoe profile much at all. Even better with black edging.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

13. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

Thank you, I appreciate the insightful response. Based on what you said and the AE videos I watched I'll just purchase the products individually. Right now I am considering the horsehair brush, conditioner cleaner, black shoe cream or premium polish, and the heel and sole edge dressing. I don't mind using old t-shirts to buff the shoes.

Thank you. Do you prefer the shoe cream or premium polish?

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Correctamundo. Derbies also have typically fewer eyelets, spaced further down the vamp.

Here's the Flatiron derby:
    [​IMG]

And Leeds blucher (though AE insists on labeling it a derby, it is not):

[​IMG]

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Where'd you get the laces? I've been looking for light tan/alabaster type laces long enough for my Daltons. AE doesn't sell them anymore (if they ever did in the first place).

16. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is a difference between AE cream and polish, but cream and wax serve different purposes. The cream adds color, lustre, and protection, while the wax adds shine (and some protection as well). Because your black PAs are quite formal, my tendency would be to use cream polish on the shoe, and then use the wax to pull out a mirror shine on the toe box (and maybe the heels as well). The amount of shine you put on your shoes is a matter of personal preference, but just as simpler tends to be more formal in shoe design, higher shine tends to be more formal as well. Because cream protects well, I use cream polish on all my shoes before wearing for the first time.

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Premium Polish myself.

18. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Didn't realize these were a webgem. I picked up a pair a few months ago from an outlet. Love the color. Thinking about pulling them off the marketplace.

19. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

E Parliament in Saddle Brown today. From the discontinued Executive line, 678 last, rubber executive sole.
    [​IMG]

Chris

2 people like this.
  20. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

These are the laces that came with the boot from AE.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.