1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Regular store or outlet?

2. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Regular store 1sts. Show trees will be 19.99, but everyone gets the jos a banks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. BARNFARM

BARNFARM Member

I exchanged a pair of Strands recently that ended up being too big and noticed this creasing in the new pair. I try not to be overly finicky about creasing and know it sometimes shows up where you don't want it to, but this doesn't seem right on a pair of cap toe shoes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely more pronounced on the right shoe. I even pointed out to the sales associate that it looked like a line was forming beyond the perforated cap, and I was told I was being a bit too anal. Here's what it looks like when my foot flexes:

[​IMG]

I thought they felt good in the store, and they feel like they still fit now. Is this a returnable offense as it's either a problem with the shoe or that the last isn't right for my foot? Or am I just worrying about it too much and need to carry on wearing them? Is the perforated strip supposed to scrunch up that way? Just doesn't seem like this is something that's going to look better with age, and if I pay that kind of money for shoes I'd obviously like them to look nice as well as feel good.

4. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Blue chinos, shell MacNeils! #ftw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

My opinion for what it's worth, is the pair you have now are too small, that's why they crease like that. When you walk, and your feet bend and flex the shoes, the shoes should crease behind the toe caps.

6. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

I say they are too long that's why they crease there. You may need to go up width and down length to get better fit.

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Brown MacNeils with flat welt and light edge:

[​IMG]

(Also pictured: grey flannels, striped socks, and Gus)

1 person likes this.
  8. BARNFARM

BARNFARM Member

Those are 10.5D. I measure between a 10.5 and 11, and my feet are a bit narrow, but with the 5-last being longer and more narrow than other AE lasts, and considering my socks are mostly thicker, the 10.5D seemed like it made sense also seemed to fit ok. I know other people who wear AEs have different sizes in different lasts. I don't think going down to a 10E would be terribly comfortable in the length department.

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Like I said, you need the 11. The 10.5 is TOO SHORT, that's why they are creasing too far forward like that.

10. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

Have you tried 10.5E? I'm looking at that V gap and I think maybe going up wider may allow the gap to close and at the same time allow your feet to move forward a little more so that the bend is not too close to where the lacing begin.

11. BARNFARM

BARNFARM Member

I haven't, but I think since I already exchanged one pair that I might just go for a refund on these. I got them from Nordstrom, and they don't keep a ton of different sizes in stock. I don't know if I want to keep messing around with different sizes over multiple visits.

12. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

To get fitted properly, go to an AE store.

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Can someone let me know if the Long Branch has a poron or standard insole? Did you size the same as the Dalton?

thanks.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

They fit a touch looser than Dalton, I can wear dress or medium weight socks with Dalton but wear boot Sox with same size long branch.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Yup, I think we've found your problem. I've not known Nordstrom to stock widths other than D in stores.

Heed RitchieBro's wisdom. It's definitely worth your while to get fitted at an AE store where you can select from four to eight widths instead of one or two.

16. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I know some here don't agree, but i like the Bourbon Strand with grey.
    [​IMG]

Chris

3 people like this.
  17. evolved

evolved Senior member

^^^Nice! I think bourbon/walnut go great with gray/charcoal. I don't quite understand how people would disagree with that.

1 person likes this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would definitely rock them with grey. Looks great.

19. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

Actually, my Strands are a EEE width, and I got them from Nordstrom (in store, not online). They stock widths, but only for a very limited stock of shoes. Probably only shoes that are pretty popular and probably at the bigger stores, like the one in Chicago on Michigan Avenue, which is where I bought mine.

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Bourbon and walnut go best with greys IMO. I think the Navy trousers and walnut/bourbon sparks some debate. In fact, I just found out a few months ago that the navy dress trousers are not preferred on SF by some members! Doesn't stop me from wearing them though,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.