• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Weird, the website is taking forever... HM....
I noticed that too -- and then it finally kicked out the following:

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Reference #3.54020ecf.1392828982.2fa21ed

I guess when hundreds of shoe fanatics jump up and down on the server, it just can't cope. :)

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I noticed that too -- and then it finally kicked out the following:
I guess when hundreds of shoe fanatics jump up and down on the server, it just can't cope. :)

Worked for me. But I'll have to pass, maybe.. Dammit you guys

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I was able to jump in and snag Elgins and Stewarts just for checking-out purposes. I still think I would want these in CXL if I were to get them, but I figured no harm in getting facetime with them in the meantime.

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
I was able to jump in and snag Elgins and Stewarts just for checking-out purposes. I still think I would want these in CXL if I were to get them, but I figured no harm in getting facetime with them in the meantime.
Agreed. Even made sure to grab two different sizes in the Elgin just to make sure I got the fit right.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure I get why discontinuing the sale of 2nds would be a good business move. After all, this is stock that would be discarded right? And they already have considerable outlet infrastructure in place...

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I might try to stop in at the new DC store today and see if the 20% off and 15% will stack.

Let me know if they do stack. I may have to head out there this week

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
And if they'll take phone orders!
nod[1].gif

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This question may belong in the shoe care thread, but I'll ask it here anyway . . . Has anyone here ever tried the "freeze your shoe with a Ziploc bag full of water in it" method of stretching? Good results?

jonesle7

Reaction score
The DC store said that the 15% off was for their in store purchases only. They also said since they are a new store they are not carrying any of the clearance sale items so it is not possible to stack the 20% and 15% discounts. Could be a YMMV situation but wanted to relay my experience.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is killing me. (Guess I would have seen the email) Talked myself into Smokey Grey Long Branch's.

Waited to long to get the 12Ds at $197, at $163 shipped I figured I'd give the 12E a chance. Since I"ll generally have thicker socks with them anyways.

But yea, after the email went out the site got bogged down quick.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is ultimately a judgment call that only you can make and keep in mind that the answer may be "none of the above." Some lasts simply do not work for some feet. As an example, a D width in the 8 last is too tight in the toe box for me, but my heel swims in the E width. As a result, I will soon own no 8 last shoes.

Minor vertical heel slippage will improve as the sole flexes and breaks in. It can also be addressed with a tongue pad. Significant vertical heel slippage or your heel moving from side to side will not improve. So, how bad is the heel slippage in the E width?

I also disagree with the poster above who said that the shoes will not stretch. In addition to my foot settling into the cork, the leather uppers on my Strands have stretched during the three years I've been wearing them to the point where there is no longer any gap. So, if the D width is fairly comfortable, this may be something worth considering. If the D width is uncomfortable, you will likely never get enough stretching to change that fact.
Beautiful pictures these ores that allows you to understand the different proportions.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
And if they'll take phone orders!
nod%5B1%5D.gif

They took my phone order. But i will advise that I live inbetween two AE stores, Philly and DC.

Not sure if where you live matters, but just call and tell them you recieved an email about the promo.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an incredible sale... and makes sense if they are trying to shy away from seconds, right?
This "flash" sale has come up before. No preannoucement or anything. Did it used to be 25%?

I'm a little nervous about the changes to the MTO and 2) the pulling of the 2 for $250 sale. Maybe those are new changes with the new ownership.

Quick question: Did someone say that AE is totally out of brown or cappucinno shell? I'd like to get in an MTO.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Allison, and can confirm that "changes" are going to be made to the MTO offer. I didn't inquire any further about it.

I know it can be difficult to reach her sometimes, but I must say she really goes above and beyond in order to be helpful and provide great service.

I was asking if it would be possible to create an austerity brogue out of the McClain by leaving out the hole punch perforations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads