1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubu

jubu Senior member

I agree--the MTO possibilities are endless and a shell version of this in a chocolate would be amazing IMO...been eyeing this style boot for a while now so I was really floored when it popped up in my size all of a sudden last week...and the next day after I bought it, the listing was gone. I finally got lucky!

Now if only I can find a pair of Jomocs in my size!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I don't get any toe wear on my vtread tap soles vs my leather soles. IMHO you don't need to install toe taps on these.

3. jubu

jubu Senior member

Just what I wanted to hear--thanks watchidiot!

4. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

My vote would go to the oxblood. But, I really like the color. I ordered some brown shell PAs during the RDA sale. Then, the holiday catalog arrives with the new color. I had the PAs shipped to the store because I didn't want them left on the porch. I'm going to have a tough time avoiding something in oxblood when I go there to pick them up and actually see the oxblood in person. I already have burnished Merlot Strands, but I'm thinking oxblood Carlyles, or Daltons, or?

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Hope AE does something a bit better for Black Friday this year than last - from memory it was all ugly non-classic models on sale.

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I thought the $99 sale on closed out models was not that bad, I was able to pick up a few things. However, I expect that price will increase this year. We'll wait and see.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I just picked up a pair of Promontory Point boots in brown grain for $159 from Shoebank. They're in pretty decent shape. They fit well once the ortho insert was removed. The Dainite sole is a bit unusual on boots, IMO. What's everyone's opinion on these boots? For my purposes, they will work great as weekend boots in the Fall (i.e., college football).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

It was 21 degrees this morning in OKC so it is officially boot season.

Inaugural run for my new Shaker Heights - best $127 I have spent in a along time

[​IMG]

Chris

4 people like this.
  9. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Very nice! I hate that I missed those at $127. They're really grown on me since.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Chili is still at $127 on the Shoebank website if they have your size.. Or are they still showing the sale prices on the website and have not updated yet?

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Brown and Chili are still available in my size at $127 at the Shoe Bank

Chris

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Dainite seems to be the popular choice across makers right now for boots....I like those boots and REALLY like the original boot with the more rounded toe...They were gone by time I decided to venture my boot addiction kicked in and the MTO addiction...If I could do a Promotory in that natural shell or natural CXL would do it in a heartbeat.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I finally timed my rotation right for Walnut (shell) Wednesday! Paired with some HF corduroys I scored at Nordstrom Rack. It's my last day at work before I move onto something else next week so it's a nice way to go out, I think.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Nice - they look great and good luck with your next venture..

Townley GMTO maiden voyage...wow they are comfy...will re think my wear them out and resole with diff sole thoughts...still going to wear them out though...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. jubu

jubu Senior member

Some nice boot finds here...

To all of you fellow boot owners, how do you accelerate the break-in so as not to suffer through the "squeakiness" of the leather tongue rubbing against the inner boot leather? Can I do anything to stop the noise or at least tone it down right away? Maybe conditioner? And I'm not looking to stick on soft Velcro on the inside like I've found others do on this site....

16. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Just got down to freezing today in Austin, and I too am on a maiden voyage. Loving them so far. What a steal.

[​IMG]

17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have never had squeeking issues with new boots. Maybe I have been lucky.

Chris

18. area3400

area3400 Member

This may be more of a "quick question" topic than an appreciation item but it is AE related.

I have had a pair of cognac mactavishes for about 8 months. I have noticed that on one shoe there is some fading between the laces and the point of the wingtip. I thought that perhaps it was simply too dry so for a few weeks I have been trying to condition them more regulatory but it still looks light. The odd part is that only one shoe is doing this.

Is there a way to restore the color? These are part of the rough collection so I thought it would be ill advised to try polish. Thoughts?

Also my Kenilworths (which I love) have started an odd thing. Occasionally a little piece of black (apparently plastic). It seems to break off from inside the shoe and I will notice it when I step on it. It is a square about 1 or 2 cm wide. this has happened a couple of time. This is obviously not a good thing. They were purchased as 2nds so I imagine I will just have to deal with this but again, has anyone else noticed this?

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Gave a Little TLC to the cherry on top of my AE sundae:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Do you have squeaking with these at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.