Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but this thread has already had a gigantic impact on my wallet!

I currently own the Sanfords in black calf but just placed an order with Edward at the Freeport store for the following factory seconds:

Bradley Burgundy Cordovan
    Van Ness Chili Burnished (rubber sole I know but they were on a blowout sale)
    Clifton Black Calf
    Strand Walnut

I am anxiously awaiting the order confirmation (I hope for my sake he works Sundays!!!) and will of course post pictures when they arrive. As soon as I tried on the sanfords in my size I knew that I wanted more AEs. The quality and comfort combined with the fact that these are made in the USA just floors me. The Sanfords are on the 7-97 last but I wasn't really crazy about any of the other shoes built on that last so hopefully all of the above will fit!!! With Edward's advice I stuck with the same size as my Sanfords as they fit PERFECTLY. Looking forward to being a part of this digital community.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

2. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I'm usually an E, but thought I could get away with a D as my feet aren't that wide. I have the walnuts in a E, they fit me good, love the color!

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Welcome to SF, It's nice to see enthusiasm, just be sure not to regret your eagerness due to lack of fit / last knowledge. Look forward to pics...

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I own the Bradleys, strands, and cliftons (in walnut). The lasts are different but hope they fit you. The strands seem to be a more generous fitting last than the other 2.

My guess is you'll fall in love with the strands and wear them the most often of the bunch.

5. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Oh don't worry I have no problem returning something because of poor fit. I'm pretty picky when it comes to fit, especially in (expensive) shoes! I'm hoping I'll find a last that fits me as well as the 7-97 because as I mentioned I'm not too crazy about the other shoes made on that last.

The walnut strands seem to be extremely popular on this forum! I've never really owned shoes quite so bold. For work I typically wear dress pants, a nice button up (been wearing Tyrwhitt or TM Lewins lately) and occasionally a tie. Right now my pants are basically charcoal gray, black, and navy. Any tips as to what pants colors all of my new shoes will be appropriate for? Especially the walnut as I see that as being something that will either be an extremely nice touch for the right outfit or a glaring mistake for the wrong outfit haha.

I'm also looking for suggestions for places to get some nice slim fit dress pants from. I'm especially interested in a pair of lighter grays and colors that will match the shoes. I'm typically a 32/33/34 waist depending on how true the size is and a 29 length (30 if I feel like hemming). Now that I think about it, I'll need some decent matching belts to match the shoes as well. Any good matches that are cheaper than AE? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

You can wear any type of pants to match walnut strands, it's a pretty versatile shoe. The only color I would wear with them is brown, IMO.

You could check your local department store to find matching belts... I don't think it's too hard to find a light brown color. I find maroon harder to find.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Stay with SF long enough, and you will have a new definition for "expensive shoes" (i.e. not Allen Edmonds).

8. plei89

plei89 Senior member

:lol: cause it's true. Although I'll stick with AEs for my everyday shoes.

When I can afford John Lobbs, those will be my special occasion shoes.

9. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Try Epaulet's slim walt trousers: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Mens-Clothing-cln-Trousers/Categories

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I just knew you'd notice that [​IMG].

11. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

What do you use for the edge of the sole? I'll admit to touching up the black edge with sharpie, but I also have a brown edge on my Strands. What's best to use?

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

This appears to be the travel size bottle. I have two larger 4oz bottles with sponge applicator. One in brown and another in black. A bottle will last a lifetime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

13. inkredible

inkredible New Member

I've been buying shoes on the 5 last in a 13D, but after bumping into a pair of 14B Van Ness in Chili for $159, I think that might be my size because it remedied 2 issues I've had with AE Bals: with the ankles being too big and the quarters not closing completely, or snugly enough.

Unfortunately this happened after I just bought walnut Strands and took them to the shoemaker to have them shined and taps put on the sole and heel.

Sadly, might have to let those and a few other pairs go. I'm going to try on the 14 again. If there isn't too much room in the toe box, i'm getting rid of the Strands, if anyone is interested, especially in NYC.

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Nop, the uppers are made in the Dominican Republic.
    I don't mind, I just don't like how they say made in the USA. The most significant part of the shoe is the uppers. They should say made in the Dominican Republic.

15. LoblawNYC

LoblawNYC Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to AE shoes and having a Hell of a time getting a good fit in any last. I went into the AE store at Rockefeller Center and was fitted for a pair of Park Avenues in 7D [every pair of common mall shoes I've ever owned has been in an 8]. The shoes feel perfect when laced very loosely, leaving a V that's probably one and a half inches thick at the top. They can be laced to look appropriately, but this puts a lot of pressure on the foot, causing pain at the first joint of the big toe and on the sides of the foot. I went back into the store after a couple days of wear, as they failed to stretch, and the salesman felt around and insisted that the fit was optimal. They didn't have a 7E in stock, and I didn't insist on them ordering a pair after he balked at the notion of me needing an E for the presumably narrow width of my foot. They've been sitting in the back of my closet unwearable for a couple of months now.

My second experiment was to try a pair of Malverns, which I ordered in 7D and 7.5D to compare. The 7 feels fine, except it's a little narrow on my pinkie toe, forcing it against my fourth toe painfully. The 7.5 alleviates this, but the arch support is clearly too far forward, as it buries into the ball of my foot a bit, making it feel like I have a marble in my shoe.

I think I need a 7E in both, but I've now had two sales associates who measured me on a brannock and insisted that I have a relatively narrow foot and that an E wouldn't fit me. If they're right, I'm guessing that AEs just aren't made to fit me. Any of you more knowledgeable in the mysteries of AE fit have advice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.