Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Has anyone picked up walnut cordovan strands with the recent sale? If so, can you please shoot me a tell about which AE you ordered them through. I've been having trouble grabbing a pair of either 1sts or 2nds. Thanks.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I called The Shoe Bank in WI: (262) 284-7158

3. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Very nice and congrats.

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Thanks for the info. Interesting, just spoke with them. They said the walnut cordovan strands were MTO and they aren't making them anymore...

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

My apologies, I responded too quickly without reading correctly. I purchased the brown cordovan not the walnut. I do believe the walnut is MTO is I don't think they would have many (if any) seconds.

6. Blok

Blok Member

My impression from owning several pairs of AE (including the Park Avenue) and 1 pair of Florsheim Veblen is that the Florsheim runs *at least* half a size larger. So I would try a 8.5D first.

The best thing you can do is to drive to an AE store or outlet and see which last/size combination fits you the best. I had a problem where the number of available AE sizes in length and width is fairly limited my local Nordstrom. So I drove 2 hours to the nearest AE store and tried on every last/size combination until I found the best one (9D, 5 last). I don't know how far you are from an AE store, but if it is within a reasonable driving distance, make the trip.

In addition, note that sizing between the various shoe brands is a bit arbitrary. So get measured on a Brannock Device. Most shoe stores should have them. Get both your left and right foot measured (foot size between your left and right feet may not be identical). Also, get measured standing up (your foot expands if you stand up).

7. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

hnnnnnggg

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Patrick, did you bull the toes on those at all?

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Not yet. Just a bit of saphir renovateur, a couple of solid brushing sessions and some extra buffing on the toe. I'm considering adding the slightest touch of black saphir MDO wax to the toe every few weeks and buffing it out. I think the darker toe would look good but I have no experience bulling shell.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Although the top view of the shoes show the Leeds to be curvier, from a profile view, I find the slope of the vamp on the 990 more appealing. Also, for some reason I don't like how far down the vamp the eyestays are on the Leeds compared to the 990. I have the same thoughts on the MacNeils, which is why I've favored Alden for LWB more recently. However, I used to own a pair of MacNeils and they were excellent shoes. It's down to preference. I think I'll just have to pick up some Leeds while they are on sale and compare them to my Alden PTB.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I would have to agree on all points. I think the rapid expansion of AE and training of new employees is likely a larger problem. I sent my badly bowing pair of shell Bradley's back to AE and they hit their dock 3 weeks ago this coming Monday. I sent an email to them over a week ago asking for the status because I haven't heard from them. They replied that they were backed up at least 2 weeks on returns so looks like the number of returns is growing. Still have not heard from them.

Out of the 11 AE shoes I've purchased they are the first that I have returned. I really should have returned the made in DR Yuma, they were a total disaster, my fault for not sending them back. I ended up getting a pair of Bison leather boots on clearance from BB that were twice the shoe for half the money. On the other hand I am soaking my new AE boat shoes in leather conditioner this weekend, I find it an outstanding shoe and it is also made in the DR.

After I retired from the Navy I spent several years doing business process improvement consulting in the manufacturing sector. I really want to see AE be successful, and in a perfect world they would hire 100% American labor. However to be competitive I understand that it would be almost impossible, and I think the CEO of AE has a great long term vision. AE is also one of the few companies that supports the military by providing access to their product through the military exchange including custom orders. I will continue to support them based on that also. Despite the fact that I am still waiting on the status of exchanging my Bradley's for a proper pair I requested a quote for shell walnut Strands on Friday and will order them Monday. I love the color of the walnut shell Dalton boots that I have, but "need" a summer version LOL. And after seeing the picture a few posts back of the shell brown Strands, sighhhh [​IMG]

12. plei89

plei89 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Just got these Brown Strands in the mail size 8.5D Brand New "seconds" with no defects... Realized I need a size E. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'm guessing exchanging is not an option :confused:

14. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I wish... haha

15. knezz

knezz Senior member

Sorry they didn't fit.

They are sharp shoes. I currently have them in Walnut Calf. They fit my 12D feet well. The uppers don't completely meet when they are laces snuggly (there is about a 1/4 inch of space left) but they still look good on my feet.

Are you normally a 8.5D? Just curious as my Stands are true to size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.