Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knezz

knezz Senior member

I disagree with saying "significant defects". I own a few pair of seconds and can bearly find the defect(s). I think that they look for thing that could deter someone from purchasing at full price. I had fa shoe with 1/8 inch of over glue on the leather near the sole. Pulled the glue off which left that patch lighter. After the 1st polish the spot was gone. I wouldn't call that significant.

2. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

The Players and Lombard in Walnut are probably closest. If you want a balmoral instead of blucher, then go with McAllister or Jefferson in Walnut. But be careful with the Players and Lombard-- they're on the 2 last which runs pretty narrow. If you can, get fitted for them first. Mcallister and Jefferson are on the 5, same as the Elgin.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I purchased 4 pair of AE 2nds over the years (and own 3 more 1sts), I inspect before buying and only once had to ask the salesperson to grab another pair in the back for me as I found the original pair unacceptable. I don't think I'm as picky as some but the defects I see posted here may be deemed unacceptable by me as well. I assume I've just been lucky.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I was under the impression that only the 'ae' line was not made in the US. Aren't the standard AE shoes made completely in the US?

5. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

I got both pair's of burgundy shell cambridge shoes (11D and 11E) and it looks like I'm going to need a 10.5E. It's too bad, because the 11D looks fantastic (the 11E had a slight tear at the heal on one shoe), but it just seems too long. I'm going to return these back to the outlet unless anyone is interested? I would not charge more (or less) than I paid from outlets.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

A morning photo shoot with the new Leeds. These have had a coat of Saphir Renovateur applied (to remove a tacky substance on one toe) and a fair amount of brushing. Fit is spot on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think that is true for the assembly of the shoe, but I was under the impression that the cow skins are prepared in the DR. i.e.: the leather is clicked and possibly sewn into the shape of the upper before being sent to Wisconsin to be sewn to the soles and to have insoles put in.

I think shell is all done in the US?

Edit: What Cold Iron said.

10. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

That's kinda my point. I'm not saying all 2nds have defects that everyone will find significant. I own a few pairs myself, and I've only ever even been able to spot the defects on 2 of them. I think it's the fact that 90% of the 2nds DON'T have anything significantly wrong that causes people to forget that they should be expecting these shoes to have defects; that's the trade-off for the low price.
    It reminds me of the Gabriel Brothers in my town. When it first opened, it got almost exclusively defective merchandise. You inspected every inch of a garment until you found the tear or stain or whatever. In the past 5-10 years, Gabes started carrying mostly overstocks, so the rare defects now catch me by surprise. I purchased a pincord suit for $30 and was annoyed when I discovered it had a stain on the leg when I got it home. I had to remind myself that it's a $30 suit (one that probably retailed for less than $300 in the first place, but still), and I should be expecting something to be wrong with it. Anyway, sorry to get side-tracked. I need to start a Gabriel Brothers appreciation thread. I love that place.

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think it is important to keep in mind that correlation does not mean causation. I do not have the data of AE's production but my hypothesis is that the amount of 'Seconds' is not significantly more than what they had before (looking at odds ratio). There are a few confounding factors such as increased manufacturing (the more products made will lead to more 'Seconds'), number of newer workers (either domestic or international) which can lead to more possible defects, and the selective effect of the meticulousness of members on this Forum. In sum, I would guess that changes in labor practices is not a significant predictor of any change in quality.

I have owned many AE shoes in the past but recently shifted to other brands due to better last fit, style, or personal change in price point, not significant issues related to quality. It is a fine balance keeping their price-point to serve consumers while also making a profit (it is a business). I still find AE customer service second to none (although I have been treated rudely but some sales associated which I think is more due to the individual than the company). Where else can you wear shoes, create creases on shell cordovan, scratch up the leather bottom soles, and return or exchange them. Moreover, how many owners of major shoe manufacturers actually take the time to read and respond to fora such as SF and AAAC? For me, this is why I still maintain loyalty with AE. :)

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think these are valid points. After reading the post from CEO, it does reinforce that AE is making shoes of a certain construction type and quality available at lower prices than other companies.

There's a little bit of a parallel here with companies like J&M and Duckies, that have moved production completely offshore (mostly India in these cases). Both of these companies offer fully welted, labor intensive shoes - basically the same processes that AE uses. Their quality control is much, much, worse, however, which is one of the points the AE CEO makes. Just take a look at the Duckie for Florsheim thread for appalling quality issues with welted, shell cordovan shoes!

I think we all realize that AE has to do some offshoring to keep its prices at the level it wants to offer its shoes. How it manages this is the key. I admire what the CEO says they are trying to do in terms of balancing work between the US and the DR and at how the geographical proximity makes it much easier to manage. So far so good; but if they get to the point where they are outsourcing the complete shoe making process, then things will be different. I'm not saying necessarily worse, but different. Let's see how they are able to manage.

In the meantime, maybe we should stock up on great shoes at great prices now and not worry about the future!

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Nice job, as usual. Don't forget that edge dressing... :)

14. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

edit

15. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

I want to get a pair of Jefferson wingtips or a Park ave (both last 5-65). But I've only tried on a Kenilworth in 8D at Nordstrom, it was way too tight and the toe box felt too long. I don't know what size to order my pair of factory seconds.

I have a pair of florsheim imperial wingtips in 8D.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.