1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    I bought the Jeffersons and apparently were the last ones on the company. 350 for them, thats not bad at all. They are far more comfortable than any other pair of shoes that I own. I got them on brown. Again, amazing pair of shoes.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Agreed. 350 for jefferson firsts is a bargain.

I got mine for 183$ :D

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I too am wearing mine, and these are atop my list of favorite AEs. Mine appear a bit darker because of a cleaning issue a couple years back, but I like the darker color. Kind of looks like a chili color.... For sure my favorite non-shell AEs.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. gpension

gpension Member

Just a PSA....I am traveling in Dallas and there were dozens of pairs of AEs at the Nordstrom Rack in Southlake. I picked up a pair of Park Aves for $149, but most are $170-$199. I saw Cliftons, Larchmonts, Players, a suede Strand, Boardwalks, etc.....

I was only looking at 10.5 and 11, and there were easily 15-20 pairs

1 person likes this.
  5. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    No you're just showing off.

6. d00little

d00little New Member

I have a pair of Strands in 8.5 B that fit me perfectly. I'm looking to get a pair of Carlyle, but they don't carry that size.

I'm not too familiar with the different lasts. If I'm an 8.5 B in the 5 last, would a 9 B or a 8.5 D be closer to my size in the 8 last?

7. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

9B. And those might be too wide.

8. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF549_1_40000000001_-1_514 (more matte shine useful for the whole shoe)

or

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1_652 (high shine for the toe and heel)

10. LeBeef

LeBeef Senior member

E for RL chukka today:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I got netural with the caranuba wax and colors for the others. the polish will show at the flex points if its netural.

13. opticalserenity

opticalserenity Member

I'm looking to get some AE to wear with dark jeans and with slacks / sport coats. Which model is recommended?

I like the Madison Ave but I'm worried it may be a bit too much for dark jeans and a sport coat.

14. peppercorn78

Tons of options for this use. What's your pleasure: loafers, lace-ups, or boots?

15. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Hey guys,

Were AE park ave's ever made with corrected grain leather?

I picked up a pair in Merlot and the leather is incredibly smooth, nothing like I have seen with my other pairs of AE. I know these are an older pair, just not sure how old.

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I think that most AE shoes go well with dark jeans and a sport coat - there isn't a single pair of AE I own that I wouldn't wear with it. My personal favorites for that combo, out of the shoes I own, include the Bourbon McAllister, Dark Chili Bleecker Street, Bourbon Dalton, and Walnut Strand. I think brogues are actually better with a dark jean and sport coat combination than more plain shoes. Some folks will say not to wear balmorals with jeans, but I don't subscribe to that mentality. If you think it looks good, go for it. I really like the way Bourbon and Dark Chili contrast with dark jeans - Walnut is a bit tougher but it can work depending on what sport coat you have and what shirt you're wearing. My two cents.

For you, I would recommend the Bleecker Street if you like chukka boots, McAllister if you like wingtips, the Strand if the wingtip is a bit much, the Dalton if you want a boot, the Rush Street if you want something a little more casual but still classy, or the Neumok or Strandmok if you want something even more casual. That said, there are many more choices than I can list that would likely look good with dark jeans and a sport coat - it's all about your personal style. Head to an AE store and take a look at all the options, then trawl the Shoe Bank (www.shoebank.com) for good deals, unless you're looking to buy firsts.

As far as colors go, I would say that Bourbon and Dark Chili are probably the best choices. Walnut and Brown are also good choices, but they are tougher to match with jeans. Definitely stay away from Black.

17. peppercorn78

Yes, they were once made in burgundy "polished cobbler" CG.

Sheltons too.

18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

And McAllisters. I have an old pair from way back I break out on suit required days with rain expected. I thought I'd give them away once I got my burgundy Cambridges but they come in handy from time to time for foul weather.

1 person likes this.
  19. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Should I be caring for them differently?

Is it worth having them recrafted?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I'm not sure of the cause, but my brogue suede strand seconds are narrow, too. Im keeping them and thinking they'll stretch. They're pretty soft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.