Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

You are absolutely correct, and it's a totally fair point.

For me, the medallion is something I could not live with. Little nicks and scratches, or a shoe that has shop wear, I can. Even some of the sloppiness in assembly, like when they chip the sole or the heel is not on right or something, would probably not bother me, as I'd be thinking about the next time I got them resoled anyway. But the medallion is just one those things that is too big to overlook.

But your point to keep things in perspective is a good one.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

i think that is another thing putting me off them. Now, the Player is also a long last, but for some reason it ends up looking classic to me.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Been contemplating on picking up some Leeds... always hard purchasing shoes on a new last (at least for me). I'm so used to Alden's Barrie (LWB & PTB) but the 2nds price might be worth a look. If only I liked the MacNeils more than Alden's LWB... I'd actually get shoes on sale...

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

The problems with AEs seconds are typical with what you get with the firsts. My last 4 pairs (Bayfield, Malvern, Montecito, FA) came with the usual black scuffs. The heels never match up, one shoe is always a little longer than the other,...
    I don't think the problems with the seconds are very significant.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

For what it's worth, I find the AE 1 last (Leeds) and 7 last (MacNeil) run tts for me, and I find I need to size down 1/2 for the Barrie.

6. knezz

knezz Senior member

You won't sleep!

My humble opinion is to send them back. My reasoning is that the Strand is still in production and another (hopefully better copy) seconds will show up in your size. For me, the medallion is one of the most important visible parts of the shoe.

If were something you really liked and it was being retired then it may be different. Just me 1/2 cent...

Also, what size?

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Neumok is not available in as many sizes as say a PA or McAllister. I am going to try on a pair next week, but I expect that I will need to special order my size. I'm partial to the red Neumok. I haven't seen that color anywhere else yet. The blue Neumok is also striking but I've seen a similar color in Trickers.

SA also told me that the Neumok fits a little more snug than the usual #5.

8. Ayrton

Ayrton Well-Known Member

I would have to agree...

If you can swap them, I would.

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think if they were re-lasted, the part of the leather that was underneath the shoe might be a lighter color than the rest of the shoe and not as aged.

10. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Active Member

I have a question regarding the McAllister. I am a 10.5 c in the Hale (#8 last and fit perfectly) and have the opportunity to buy a barely used McAllister in 10D (#5 last). Can I please get your opinions on whether this will fit or be too tight.

Thanks!!!

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I haven't tried the #8, but the AE last guide likens it to the #2. I would think the 10D would be too short. Do you have a chance to try it on? If not you can order a 10D from Amazon or elsewhere and return it.

12. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

I wear both the same size in 8 last and 5 last

13. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Hey guys, Im bringing my factory second Elgin back tomorrow, as one foot is too tonight-- the side of my foot feels like its falling off the insole. Id have to wait for a factory second 9E, and that might take ages...What are the chances that since its a second, that another 9D might fit better?

Also, I have been looking around for something else to get, in case the elgin don't work out. I found this picture and was wondering if you could tell me which AE shoe is closest in style and color.

Also, open to other recommendations for a nice all around, mostly casual wear shoe in lighter brown.

[​IMG]

14. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

This picture again.
    There are two different pairs of shoes shown. Which pair are you trying to match?

15. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Yeah, sorry. Trying to match the left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.