1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

thats quite odd, normally the gap closes with wear as your feet sinks into the cork bed of the shoe.

An in is definitely too much IMHO for bals.

2. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Hi all , Just got turned on to the Allen Edmonds brand. At first, I was put off by Allen Edmonds due to the lack of attention given to me by the Chicago store. I went to the cole haan store and they were very helpful, so I bought a pair and quickly realized the quality of the shoe vs the price wasn't impressive.

Luckily and unbeknownst to me, there is an Allen Edmonds store 6 blocks from my residence. The customer service at the New Orleans store was amazing. It was so good, that over two weeks I purchased three pairs of shoes and a matching belt. I'm very appreciative of this thread as it has given me a lot of ideas and thoughts on the Allen Edmonds line.

First purchase was walnut Jeffersons, chilli Franciscans, and finally my bourbon strands and matching manistee belt. I'm hooked now and am awaiting other sales!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Congrats ...great purchases and welcome!

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

So that store only is still honoring RDA prices today . . . I wonder if they'll accept phone orders?

6. Roma2010

Roma2010 Member

Thanks for the help..
    No winter socks or change there.. I've walked in kenneth cole and steve maddens or aldo shoes before.

I'll stop on in the local store sometime and ask them what's going on.. I can't afford to spend another $700 and just have these shoes sit, so for now stuck with shoes that don't fit and just hoping no one notices it looks kind of weird. Not too happy about it but what can I do.

I also had to take back the original McAllister's after one wear since the wood was coming off... so far I'm not too impressed with the quality of build of AE. Perhaps I've just gotten a bevy of rare bad experiences? I want to give them a chance.

As for my two tone custom Strands, I love those and picked them up for only $130. Fit great and can wear them to the bar, club, dinner, anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  7. James60

James60 Member

I would be weary of that guide, only 1 of the 4 lasts (108) of all the AE shoes I have corresponds to what I measured using that method.

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Yep, they should take phone orders.

10. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

A few weeks ago I got a pair of black Rutledges. I knew that the leather was different than the standard Allen-Edmonds leather, but I didn't know how much harder it would be to get a shine on the black Independence line leather. I will keep working on them until I get them as shiny as my other black AE shoes. I think that I am about half way to getting a good shine on them.......

[​IMG]

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

No, the Cognac Dublin is the 3rd. I believe the 1st is the Brown Distressed and the 2nd is the Natural Wax Infused. Here are pics from the Shoe Bank where they call them Brown and Tan:

Brown (Brown Distressed):
    [​IMG]

Tan (Natural Wax Infused):
    [​IMG]

12. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Wearing my shell Cambridge today. I'm finally getting the last of AE's extra cream off, and have been logging lots of time on brush and cloth work; sunny windows have helped bring out colors 200%... Salivating just thinking about shell Strand MTO

13. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

in my American Express offers, $50 off $200 at Allen Edmonds. this was posted in frugal male fashion on reddit about an hour ago.

http://i.imgur.com/7Ln0Qys.jpg

[​IMG]

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Received the Bourbon Dalton 2nd today from the RDA sales today. Couldn't see any noticeable defect (maybe I am just not that picky :))

Replaced the thin lace with a spare pair of Red Wing boot laces.

Not sure why it took so long for me to warm up to Daltons. Could have been the thin stock laces. :)

[​IMG]

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Bleecker street replacements came in. Look great, ex-cept....

[​IMG]

Tear in the back of the shoe. It's small enough. Should I try to have a cobbler fix? I'm a bit fatigued with sending shoes back for replacements.

17. Ridge

Ridge New Member

Picked up a pair of Rutlege's in burnished walnut. The closest belt I have a a Paul Evans in cognac.

I'm on the fence whether it's close enough to suffice for the moment...

[​IMG]

It's definitely a couple shades lighter. Too much?

18. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Love the Rutledge. I'll have to pick up a pair next sale. I think the belt color is close enough. There should be sufficient space between your waist and your shoes for it not to be a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  19. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

If they're firsts then you need to return for a new pair. if they're seconds, you should keep and see what a cobbler can do… unless you have a store to return them to for a new pair.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yup, firsts. My last pair was worse. Aargh.

I suppose I can wait for a less un-perfect pair. These are the second ones I'll be returning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.