• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavrik13

Reaction score
I know it is a little early, but does anyone have any more details about the upcoming 2 for $250 sale? I believe it starts Feb 27. Will all of the shoes marked 'closeout', including the independence collection, be a part of the sale? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to adding to the collection...

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off of the phone with Allison. Placed my order with the following options:

Promontory Point
Natural Chromexcel leather
Brass eyelets with the top three speed hooks
Tone on tone stitching
Double leather sole toasted edge
Brown regular welt
Blue calf lining (for fun)

The best part about it all is price. It's going to be a difficult 10 week wait.

I put my order in for something similar a few weeks back. Golden Brown CXL with the blue lining. Was tempted by the natural as well. Looking forward to seeing it!
Incredibly helpful post.

To be fair, there is a search function that you could use to find out since it's been posted multiple times. The details can be found here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/37740#post_6901768

Edited: misquoted

Last edited:

Michael Haines

Reaction score

They look really nice. On my screen the bourbon appears to have olive undertones in it

Those look killer but we're going to need more piccies!

Yeah, Michael... That's very, very, sick; that bourbon is smashing in that make up. Excellent composition, sir. Don't be mad if you see them over and over again on the thread in just that make up!

I am thoroughly impressed! Looks like you put a ton of thought into this and it turned out well!. I love the contrast of the lighter color between the upper and the sole edge! Most impressive MTO I have yet to see. Not saying it's the most beautiful shoe, some of those shell make-ups are hard to beat there, but all of the different elements of this shoe just blend and pop in all the right places. AE should get a professional quality picture of these bad boys and make them the poster child for their MTO program!

Thanks and this pair has more olive undertones then my other bourbon does

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got charged $27 on my pair of Leeds that arrived yesterday. All in with shipping, the FedEx fees and the brutal exchange they cost me $425 CAD. Still much less compared to retail on a near flawless pair of cordovan shoes.

Hit them with some reno and Mac method before putting them on this morning. Only a bit of color came off with the reno so I think past today I will just stick with the Mac method as it looks like these aren't as caked with product as some other peoples cordovan shoes have come.

Those Leeds look great, congrats! And I agree just use the Mac method and over time they will just keep getting better.

My new MacNeil
Great job Michael, they turned out fantastic! And I agree, need some more pictures of those bad boys!

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Thank you for the words of wisdom, guys. An initial wipe down got a LOT of the polish off; VSC, then damp cloth wipe down got even more. Brush, brush, brush... A good start!

Mcallister is shinier, but the Cambridge just looks better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920

Did you feel silly buying practically the same shoe that you already had? I own merlot mcallisters and just fined it to be a waste buying merlot shell cambridges. You didn't feel the same way?
No way, ScottyBoy920 - feeling silly is for kids and comics! Actually, if the Mcallister wasn't new...I would've gone with another shell purchase if one was available that I wanted. Now, I just have a choice, and that feels like the opposite of silly!!! One thing I rarely do is buy, receive and then run outside in my new shoes. This winter is wreaking havoc on leather soles and uppers across the nation, so I - like many others here - am just waiting for my chance to debut certain acquisitions. I showed the Mcallister just to allow for a comparison that I saw requested earlier in the thread (how Merlot compared to Burgundy)... They look the same, color wise, to me. With the Cambridge being only a few $$$ more than the Mcallister, its a no-brainer.

mavrik13

Reaction score
To be fair, there is a search function that you could use to find out since it's been posted multiple times. The details can be found here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/37740#post_6901768

Edited: misquoted

I saw that, and have searched - still doesn't really answer my question, specifically regarding the independence line closeouts that I see (listed for $229, same as other independence shoes). Would be a steal if they were included in the 2 for $250, was wondering if anyone knew either way whether they would be.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that, and have searched - still doesn't really answer my question, specifically regarding the independence line closeouts that I see (listed for $229, same as other independence shoes). Would be a steal if they were included in the 2 for $250, was wondering if anyone knew either way whether they would be.
Hmm, I didn't see your question, but that is of interest to me as well. I can only justify buying shoes at the 2 for $250 at this point.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But it got me thinking that I needed some new cloths just for buffing and I should just get one per color (dark, walnut, black), but then it hit me that I could just use my shoe bags for buffing. Any reason not to do that? Soft flannel material right?

I wouldn't do that. I'd be worried about the burgundy color of the bags transferring to the shoes. Plus, what if you want to use the shoe bags in the future? IMO, best and cheapest polishing cloth is an old 100% cotton t-shirt.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was giving my new Leeds the Mac Method after wearing today and noticed some rough spots in the creases after brushing. It looks like the finish is coming off and is rough to the touch. It actually seems to get worse the more I brush. I am using the AE horsehair brush.

Has anyone experienced this, I own a pair RL cordovan and now these and both have done this after brushing. both are very new so I am new to the cordovan shoes and just want to make sure it's normal.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. I'd be worried about the burgundy color of the bags transferring to the shoes. Plus, what if you want to use the shoe bags in the future? IMO, best and cheapest polishing cloth is an old 100% cotton t-shirt.
What if they have white bags like the last pair I got?

Just yankin' ur chain... Why use the bags when the cost of a cloth for buffing is so minimal? I'd be more worried about the bags just being unsightly, as well as polish rubbing off on your hands/clothes/bedding every time you take your shoes out to put them on (unless you don't store your shoes in their bags). If you have no other use for the bags, then go for it... but I'd just buy the cloth

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't Allen Edmonds take better pictures of their damn shoes? It can't be that hard to take pics in a studio that shows the colour of the shoes better?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was giving my new Leeds the Mac Method after wearing today and noticed some rough spots in the creases after brushing. It looks like the finish is coming off and is rough to the touch. It actually seems to get worse the more I brush. I am using the AE horsehair brush.

Has anyone experienced this, I own a pair RL cordovan and now these and both have done this after brushing. both are very new so I am new to the cordovan shoes and just want to make sure it's normal.

This happens to pretty much all my shell boots/shoes. I'll let the experts tell you why it happens but if you put the trees in the shoes, and then use your thumb or finger and just rub the crease where that rough line is, it will go away. For some reason, creases in the shell often do this. Vigorous rubbing will get them smooth again. Nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics