Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Another note...it's amazing how different cordovan shoes look after a little care. i got my black Leeds last night. Out of the box they looked like junk. Within the hour I had them looking like shoes befitting their price tag. I think AE would do better with their cordovan sales if they didn't let every cordovan shoe on the shelf look like a dried out piece of beef jerky.

My Leeds now bring back memories of dad's USAF dress attire.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

True. But then again, most of the non-fickle, non-picky folks won't drop $300 on a pair of shoes, seconds no less, nor $500+ on a pair of firsts!

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That is so true. And to top it off...we think $300 for a pair of shoes is an ABSOLUTE STEAL!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

:D :slayer:

OMG.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

... And I am sure in 20, 30, 40 years, while I am still wearing all these shell cordovan shoes, it will be even more so! [​IMG]

I was mentioning to my wife last night, that some of these shoes might last me through my entire career (roughly 30 more years) and hopefully many years of retirement. A sobering thought.

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I've had the non-flush, plastic toe taps put on two pairs of shoes. They do look cheap and definitely do not look as cool as the flush mounts, but I have to balance the cheapness of their looks when people can see the bottom of my shoes with the wear they save on the toe of my shoes, which is visible at all times. Might have to ask my cobbler if he does the flush kind.

As for Winston S's problems with his Strands, there are definitely some significant issues there that would certainly bug me for $300 shoes. However, I think the awesomeness of AE's 2nds program tends to cause us to forget that these shoes are designated as 2nds because they supposedly have significant defects that would prevent people from paying full price for them. Not saying Winston shouldn't return and hope for better luck next time, just that everyone should buy 2nds understanding that there's a reason that good-year welted, full-grain leather, American-made shoes are so cheap. So anyway, that's a long way of saying that I'd keep 'em if AE didn't have another pair of 2nds in my size.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You mean many "happy" years of retirement. I wish you every success in that regard.

8. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Just got my five year old Colton's back from the cobbler with some new toes:
    [​IMG]

high rez

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I really can't tell how much te medallion is off but I have been looking using my phone. The heel is always going to vary because it depends on how well the trimmer rounds the heel out. My experience with shoes is that there is always a difference (even with my C&J, Alden, and to some extent my Grenson Masterpiece).

If you NEED the shoes, are you willing to pay $200 more for first quality? Psychologically, if you wear them enough, you will eventually habituate to them being off centered and not notice. I have a pair of shoes with the broguing off at the toe; they bothered me at first but after 6 months I stopped thinking about it.

Sorry Your Strands have those issues. Mine have minor issues (cut of leather heel counters could be better) but otherwise negligible. I hope my Cambridge are okay.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Does anyone really NEED $300 - $600 cordovan shoes?

I'm going to sleep on it and decide what to do on Monday.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I NEED $8k bespoke cordovan shell, but I'll settle for AE seconds . . .

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i can only really tell the difference from the first picture, not so much on the second picture. and the rest of them I can live with, plus the price is right!

13. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

I was thinking the same thing -- I think the Neumok even in suede has a much more deconstructed look that might cause its versatility to be limited. It also seems that the stitching on the Neumok is lighter which I think makes them even more casual. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the Birthday wishes -- and for your input! How did the Players look with the red laces? I never though much about the colored laces until looking at the Neumok (and some other shoes lately) but am very interested to hear how the color laces looked on the Player. I tend to like Balmoral's better in general, but I think you might be right -- as a spring/summer shoe a blucher is a great choice (and hence this is why I was really having my issue deciding between the two).

How was the snuff suede? I'm afraid its too light and therefore hard to keep clean. Any thoughts on that? Would you go with the snuff or the bitter chocolate for versatility?

Thanks again!!

This was another factor confusing my issue. I have Strands, Fifth Aves and Park Aves and the Neumok is on the 5-last which I really like so far on my foot. Might have to give the 2 a shot though!

14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I found the Neumok to be an incredibly poor fitting shoe. I tried on 4-5 different sizes and nothing fit right. Plus, I hate elongated toes.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

That's what I usually do and (sometimes) I later decide to pass. I know it's not an option but I wonder if these shoes were re-lasted and have the re-attached if it could be re-aligned. Pragmatically I know this does not make sense but curious about the secret magic of cobblers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.