1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denton

Denton Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll make a judgement call after seeing them in person. You're right, AE's website is notoriously bad with pictures.

2. doloflow

doloflow Member

For the first time, I am building a shoe collection consisting of quality shoes. I work in a business causal environment (academia) and mostly wear khakis and slacks--rarely suits and jeans every once in awhile. I really like Allen Edmonds shoes and I'm trying to figure out the best two or three pairs of shoes that make sense for work, casual situations (jeans), and the occasional suit. I recently bought the Carlyle in walnut (still in the box), which I know is a bit formal, but I think could be used for work and suits other than black. Is this the case? Also, what other shoes should I consider? I was thinking of a more casual darker brown shoe and a black shoe that could be casual or dressy (one of the AE store employees recommended the new Jomoc in black). Does this make sense and if so what would you recommend?

3. joeisuzu

joeisuzu Member

Mine three. The fit is nigh unto perfect and I am going to get a lot of use out of these. Even my wife is envious! One of the laces, however, is missing an aglet and isn't likely to last...

4. Denton

Denton Senior member

Don't like the Jomoc, the two eyelets aren't my look. That's a very casual design cue and might hinder the function, where the sides of the shoe might bow (like the Kenilworth does).

Lots of great choices abound. I don't see the need to own a black shoe in your situation except for weddings and funerals. Out of 17 AEs, I have one black Park Avenue and a black Eagle County that wasn't my choice of color but was cheap. It's just not a versatile color.

If you're walking all over campus in academia or in general I'd consider a rubber sole shoe, such as Vibram, Dainite, or a partial rubber sole v-tread that some shoes have.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Found this one google

[​IMG]

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Guess we all popped our Bleecker cherries. I picked up mine on the way to teach at CUNY, and snapped a pic on the subway to share with you fellow wackos. Went with bourbon cause I already have chili Shakers.

Tough choice between that and brown.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I don't think it would be significantly wider, but the 9D might be too short, hence your toe getting smashed. A the instep issue might be resolved, too. Did you get measured at AE? 10A might not be your Brannock size.

8. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

I don't have an AE location near by. I was measured a 10A by J.Gilbert's when I was trying to get my Alden sizes down.

Do you say it will fix the instep issue due to an increase in volume from a 9 to 10 even though the width is decreasing?

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I was just there last weekend! Great sale on the alfred Sargent Moores... If they have your size.

Try nordstrom, they will have strands and nordstrom rack often has seconds or firsts in odd sizes. Nordstrom might only have D and E widths but you can try a 10D and see how that fits and see.

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Also, on the instep, I was just guessing. :)

11. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Aha, so they are! Thank you. I bought these light blue ones for a little whimsy the last time I was in there:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SFALD07BLU_1_40000000001_-1_ALD07BLU

12. doloflow

doloflow Member

Thanks. Good point about black. I could most likely get away with brown for 90% of the time. I just saw that the McGregor is on sale for $259 from $385. Thoughts on this shoe in one of the browns?

13. DoctorJ

DoctorJ Member

I picked up the McGregor in chili. Wore them for the first time yesterday. Wow! Very happy. For my money (and it was), best deal of RDA sale.

14. delmar

delmar Senior member

I would recommend my personal favorite, the Norwich.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0212_1_40000000001_-1_0222
    The Norwich is pretty similar to the Jomoc except in a monkstrap--thick sole, split reverse welt. I'll probably end up buying the Jomoc at some point.

15. Denton

Denton Senior member

Much better. Dark brown is conservative, bourbon is a bit more casual but more interesting, chili is awesome, walnut is great too but quite casual.

16. Denton

Denton Senior member

That is a nice deal.

17. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Quote:

18. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

LOL cherries and wackos. If I wasn't already aiming for Chili because of my bourbon Randolphs, this would've been my second choice. Looks fantastic!

1 person likes this.
  19. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Went for it, darkened a bit uneven but that is to be expected with cordovan I would assume. Some of the uneven look could be attributed to left over acrylic finish not letting the HDLP through. I don't think it will be easy to get a cordovan type shine on them but I am ok with that if they have the HDLP protection. These will serve as a winter shoe that will probably get worn in rain, snow and slush then I will change into other shoes at work.

Pic before and just after application, I do expect them to lighten a bit still after fully drying and getting a few wears with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I was able to stop in today and talk with Paul. Glad I wore the Dundee's today! I was actually just emailing my SA when I got the same email. He was running a bit late due to ATL traffic and walked over from his hotel which was pretty cool. However it was fun talking shoes with some new SA's I hadn't really conversed with before. But I did thank Paul for the GMTO program and seems he pokes his head in here every so often since he asked what my SN was. However I did inquire about future shell options and there is good news on the horizon!

However Paul was a extremely easy to talk and probably could have for much longer however didn't want to keep him from the others waiting. So thank you again Paul for visiting ATL. Really enjoyed it!

[​IMG]

Wish I had worn a better shirt today but oh well.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.