1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I am looking forward to getting those as well. :)

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll have to try it. The advice I've seen with water spots (not raised) is just leave them be and they will go away after a few wears.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Wipe down with a damp rag, brush, VSC treatment, brush and brush some more... Then brush again. :)

4. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

+1 on Bayfield anticipation.

I'm waiting for cool weather to break out my new shell Daltons. Any day now...

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Are you on the ballot this fall? I'd vote for anyone who can bring out that kind of shine, even my own awful congressman! Nah, maybe not him...

Have you had that kind of finishing success on all your other AE shells? I feel like mine are a bit inconsistent. But maybe I just need to wear them more. My shell park aves are about as dull as can be.

6. Hiper

Hiper Member

Hi Gentlemen,

I Need assistance!

I currently own 1 pair of Walnut Strands that I purchased during the Nordstrom anniversary sale in 2013. This past weekend I purchased brooks brothers black strands from the shoebank. Also purchased bourbon and dark brown burnished strands from Nordstrom (received a great price for firsts--different than advertised). That makes it a total of 4 strands.

I think I overdid it, I really want a Merlot/burgundy McAllister but can't seem to find a decent deal. I am considering returning 1 of the strands and purchasing a McAllister from Brooks Brothers on the 16th (30% corp discount) which would come out to $258--same price as 2nds from the shoebank for the AE McAllister. I don't mind the rubber topy-esque sole but have concerns of the poron insole in the Brooks. Will it age well? Will it be comfy after 5-10 years like a proper broken in AE will feel? Can insoles on shoes be recrafted?

I would not return the black strands as they were a great deal and I will find time to wear them when I wear dark or black pants to work. I am wondering if bourbon looks very close to walnut or if the dark brown is too dark it may as well be black. Pictures on the AE website do not help so I went to google images.

The shoes should come in this week but just planning ahead as the Brooks sale is on the 16th.

My other shoes are Cole Haan bluchers with the Nike air in them, they're okay with the patent leather. Have black cap toe, burgundy cap toe, and black wingtip. I haven't opened the cap toe yet as I don't plan to wear them in the near future (excited to wear the incoming AE).

Oh and I purchased black Brooks fifth aves for my dad too. He's a black shoe guy but I suspect I will get him into brown soon. :)

Thanks guys :slayer:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. rostov

rostov Senior member

They were seconds. They weren't like this when new, but still I doubt AE would do anything to help here. Regardless, the main issue is when it comes to recrafting and when it comes time for it, some sorts of "repair" cobblers will do such as cementing and/or nailing half-soles can damage the upper. A good cobbler won't screw up your shoes, however.

Currently, I have one of my Banchorys with said cobbler for repair of a deep cut that came with the shoes from AE. My only option with AE would've been to return the shoes and wait for another pair to shoe up on the shoebank. I decided to keep them and pay $10 to the cobbler.

8. rostov

rostov Senior member

I was really happy about today's cold, dreary weather in Philly. I broke out the cords, a sweater, and suede strands!

Also, I've been wearing my shell Daltons for weeks... by December, the ground will be too wet to wear leather soles [​IMG]

9. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Question: Which is the better cordovan loafer in burgundy, the AE Westchester or AE Grayson? I have both, but will give up one to my brother. I want to make sure I keep the right one.

Thanks.

10. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Need a new brother? I prefer the Greyson. So go ahead and give that to me and keep the other.

It's really a matter of preference, both are very nice and classy.

-Mike

11. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

That's a matter of opinion for sure. Mine is keep the Westchester. Since it's a penny loafer, you can dress it up or dress it down. The Grayson is for DC lawyers and lobbyists. It's outta place with anything but a suit or blazer and trousers.

12. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Thanks! Glad to hear the Bleecker Street is picking up fans. I thought I had seen someone call it "repulsive." I tried them on the carpet around the house tonight and finally understood why they feel so good: the tongue is about a good inch lower than the height of the shaft, meaning I have no stiffness pressing against my shin. I'd liken it to having a shirt collar with the top button unbuttoned.

Will do. However, is all shell destined to eventually turn brown? Even a burgundy? I bought the burgundy cream polish to keep it that way, but if I wanted brown, that's what I would have bought. I guess time will tell...

13. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I believe that it is a full-strap loafer as opposed to the classic half-strap penny. It has some nice foxing on the back as well. :)

-Mike

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I wear dress pants and a dress shirt or a button down. In the colder months I layer with either a shawl cardigan, crew neck sweater or V neck. I can pretty much get away with wearing chino's from Monday to Thursday but quite honestly I enjoy dress well. I suppose it's the look good feel good adage.

Since I don't wear suits to work, I get to play around with different shoes and odd pants combo's etc. I'm pretty sure I could get away with just a plain black like the fifth avenue's and the kenilworth but what fun would that be right?

My list is

Brown Kenilworth
    Black Fifth Avenue
    Chili Lasalle
    Walnut Strand

I get the most compliments on my strand. The fifth avenue gets worn the least, I find that it's clunky looking and not sleek but maybe I'm in the minority?

Edit, even though I don't wear a suit to work I always find excuses to wear one. Like going to a nice restaurant, wedding, baptism etc.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  15. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

You are correct about the full strap - I just went to my closet to check. So a full strap is not a penny loafer?

Regardless, my opinion stands. I'd wear full strap loafers with khakis. I couldn't image wearing tasseled loafers like Graysons with anything other than dressy business wear. I actually have a pair of those too (my brother isn't as fortunate). I find the Westchester style loafer more versatile.

16. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Wow, those are gorgeous! I can definitely see the appeal of shell from them. Good thing I saw this after the Gmto!

1 person likes this.
  17. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Heh heh, you guys sound like people in the photography forums who buy all sorts of different lenses. The general consensus there is to unload the ones that don't get used much. Same goes for shoes, I suppose. :D

18. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Hi Guys,

Hope Im in the right thread but just wanted some quick advice.
    23 years old Business Casual

Strongly prefer 5 last (don't mind more formal looking shoes)

Current 2 Pairs

1) Black Calf Fifth Ave
    2) Brown Burnished Calf Strand

Looking to add a walnut pair, what do you guys think about having a second strand?Possibly the mcgregor? Are these too loud/ am I too young for wingtips or walnut strands to be appropriate? What would you guys go with?

Thanks in advance!

19. rostov

rostov Senior member

There's an idea! I should unload my unused camera lenses to buy more shoes! Also, if not for shoes, I might have already upgraded my camera body...

20. rostov

rostov Senior member

I'd say these might have been "too old" when I was your age, but these days, they're not just stylish, but in fashion. The Walnut Strand is, I believe, AE's second-best seller. That said, if you're uncomfortable or wish to have more flexibility with the shoe, Bourbon is a great color. Personally, I've been wearing my Walnut Strands less and less, and when wearing walnut, instead wear the now-discontinued Shreveport -- but I wear mine casually.

I've also gained a new appreciation for shortwings and longwings. The McGregor is a fine shoe, especially in Bob's Chilli. The Mcallister is fine, too, and I see no reason you can't pull it off. Going plain, you could do a Kenilworth in Bourbon.

Some don't like dress boots and I don't blame them. However, you could consider some of the dressier boots, too, if you're so inclined...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.