1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I don't think they'd be too similar. But this is coming from a guy that a few weeks from now with have longwing bluchers in black, brown, #8, ravello, and whiskey shell, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

My own dress code is similar to yours and I also...
    LOVE my burgundy Leeds.

I bought a black pair of Dundees (firsts) in hopes they could be dressed down a bit. After 90 days, they never made my rotation, so they were sent in for a chili welt and some colored edging in hopes they may become more versatile.

For me, just as my SA told me, they look a bit plasticky in the all black stock version.

In my closet, black shell is not versatile. That is why I have not bought the $325 black Leeds in my size. There are several black shell choices in my size, if the same choices were burgundy or brown, I'd clear their inventory. :)

OTOH, I bought brown second Dundees and also altered the welt+ edging...$325+125 is a great deal on shell anyway.
    They are arguably the best looking footwear I own.

3. BagleyBrown

Please consider a family portrait when your eagle lands?

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My first pair of shell were black Leeds. Found 'em NOS on eBay for $135 shipped. I wear them routinely going out in denim or playing in pit orchestras (where all-black is mandatory) but sadly not much else; my four pairs of burgundy shell get far more use.

For $325, I'd skip them and put it toward a more useful pair.

5. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I was planning on it actually.

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Black shell Leeds absolutely go with denim. They also go with certain colors (e.g., grey, white). I do not consider them dressy enough for slacks.

Personally, while I probably don't wear my black shell Leeds (and Dundee, and MacNeil) as often as I wear my burgundy shell Leeds (and Dundee, and MacNeil), I'm glad I have them.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

8. BagleyBrown

Close, but no cigar.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. javadave74

javadave74 Member

[​IMG]

Chili McGregors. Compared to the old chili they are not as orange but more brown tints. Really love the color and fit similar to my strands

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

So used to seeing shell longwings in a blobby form (Alden), it is quite refreshing to see a slim-profiled calf longwing offered by AE in its signaure 5-last.

11. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I wear my black shell Leeds with light grey and charcoal trousers with a sports coat a few times a month. With the right socks (and even laces), they are better than acceptable. I have worn them with jeans, but I wear jeans maybe twice a month.

12. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I had MTOed brown shell MacNeils a week before the AOC cigar and ravello pre-order dropped. If that didn't happen I'd probably have cigar instead.

13. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

And I think it is a little too "skeek" for a LWB. I was really excited about the Chili color, but I think I would like something a little more blobby. Soon I will bite the bullet and get Alden shell.

Different strokes for different folks.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I agree, abd I'm wondering why this shoe was even necessary. I mean, the sleek, flat-welted, dressy Larchmont has been available for a long time as an alternative to the clunky trad MacNeil.

1 person likes this.
  15. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    So I called Allen Edmonds and did an inquiry about the Jeffersons on brown and I'm still waiting for them to call me back to see if they have enough leather, apparently they are gonna have to make them. Anyone has personal photos of those on walnut or black? The brown ones though are insane.

16. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Careful what you wish for. As much as I love AE shoes, Alden shell (exotics in particular) is highly addictive, probably more so than any other shell shoemakers.

17. menswhere

menswhere Member

In dire need of some help . . .

I have strands in bourbon, and last night i spilled a few drops of olive oil on the toe. I panicked, as it looked like it would stain, read some home remedies online, and was told that a small amount of detergent should get the stain out. Not only is the stain still there, but some of the toe is now lighter than the other areas due to the scrubbing. I tried polishing them last night with bourbon polish, but that hasn't made a noticeable difference.

I'm considering either applying a little bit of olive oil to the area to make the stain less noticeable (right now its three discrete drops). Anyone know if there's a tanning oil or something I could use to get them back to where they were?

THANK YOU

18. peppercorn78

[​IMG]

19. chrispy650

chrispy650 Senior member

Question for those with Daltons and also have shoes in the 5 last. Did any of you ever size up? I have slightly narrow feet and when I tried the Daltons on they were ever so slightly tight on the sides. I would assume this would loosen up and form with wear? Never bought a pair of dress boots before but for my RW and Wolverines they stretch a little over time. Can I expect the same for these?

20. peppercorn78

Post this in the Shoe Care thread. The gents in there will take care of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.