Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice. What is your care regimen, and how often do you wear them? My 5 year old park avenues already look worse than those.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

My pleasure. Remember, with just a little effort and a bit more knowledge, the Kenilworth can come out looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've subjected the AE thread to these images countless times now, but your post seemed an appropriate time to share (yet again). Note, these were factory 2nds purchased on sale. Sadly, I've recently picked up the burgundy shell cordovan Leeds so the Kenilworth may not get as much wear in the near future.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Chris,
    I find it so reassuring that not only do you keep the box and receipt of 22 yr old shoes you can easily find them, take a picture and post it online within 24 hrs of the request [​IMG]. It makes me feel much better about my own 'organizational' habits. My wife may refer to me as pack rat but I like 'organized' a bit more.

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I love any excuse to see your Kenilworth pics :slayer:

Blasphemy, you say! :D

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I wore them fairly regularly in the 90's when I wore suits every day. I don't wear them as regularly now that we went more business casual.

Chris

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

There was a small store here in OKC that sold closeouts, store closing, etc. merchandise. They always had AE shoes and the price was low - good for a person just out of college. They were worn regularly from 1990 through 1995-1996, but not so much now in the business casual dress trend since 1996.

Chris

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I clean with AE cleaner / conditioner and use AE burgundy paste wax and polish as needed. I don't wear them as often now, but they were in a rotation of 5-6 pairs of shoes from 1990 to about 1996.

Chris

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've seen the same defect on both 1st quality and factory 2nds. It never bothered me much but my new shell Leeds have the exact same thing on one shoe. As long as it doesn't affect how they feel/fit, I wouldn't worry about it.

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys find this thread as refreshingly free of combat as I do? I've been following the WAYW threads in MC and SW&D for several years and the last few weeks/months have been a bicker fest. I come to the AE thread and find you folks have such rational discussions, refreshingly free of disrespect. Snark I get and enjoy when done well. Disrespect and personal attacks I don't get.

Back to the shoe talk...

9. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Dalton comparison pics before my calf Dalton auction ends and I have to ship them out.

The calf Daltons were probably worn about ten times. Before the first wear I treated them with Saphir Medaille D'or creme in no.2 neutral. It is a beeswax based creme for smooth leather that is meant to clean, nourish, recolour and waterproof. Subsequent polishing was done with shea butter based Saphir Medaille D'or no.3 (light brown).

The walnut Daltons were worn once. I treated them after wear with a bit of Saphir's new neat foot oil based neutral cordovan care cream.

The differences I see are that the calf shoe is lined while the cordovan version is unlined. Also, the AE butyl leather sole has a bit more curve than the JR sole. There is also a decorative stitch around the side brouging on the cordovan pair that is absent on the calf pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the comparison. You bring up an interesting point about the J. Rendenbach sole vs. the butyl. I understand the JR soles wear like iron. I love the look and feel compared to AE's standard sole. However, I'm very interested in the long term wear of the butyl soles. They remind me of Alden's flexwelt found on the suede chukkas. I really like the flexwelt and have found it wears very well too, though my suede chukkas don't see much wet weather wear.

AE's butyl sole seems like a good choice on a boot but I wonder if it will wear like the JR. The JR seems to be the toughest leather sole available.

11. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

Any particular reason why they made the shell Dalton's without lining? What's the overall effect of doing so?

12. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

great comparison--really shows the color differences. Thanks for doing that!

13. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Interesting piece of info from yesterday.

Placed an order for Cappuccino cordovan McGraws on March 5, the last day to do so. These had a promised delivery date of March 26th. I checked my AE account yesterday morning and they still said "backordered". Called up customer service and according to their system, they were waiting on the cordovan leather and that after they received the leather it would take about 7 biz days to make the shoes. Now her system (like many systems) may not actually capture what is happening on the factory floor so I am waiting until Monday to see what happens. Will post an update then. If they don't arrive, it simply means i get to hold onto my $575 longer. It wouldn't upset me too much but would hope to learn what led to the delay. AE may surprise me though so I have to wait until COB Monday (the 26th) before doing anything.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I took my shell Dalton's to my cobbler to see if he could help with the loose heel fit in mine and mentioned to him that it was almost like they had planned to line them then didn't at the last minute, and that would explain the larger volume in the heel area. He pointed out to me that actually they are lined in the heel area. However if you look inside the boot you can see the area forward of the heel allows light to actually pass through (greatly dimmed of course) the holes in the brouquing. I have never found shell to be hot in the summer but then again I live in Mn. I would think these boots will be comfortable in the summer too as thin as the shell is, but I only wear dress boots from fall through early spring. Until I can find the perfect chukka anyhow.

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I don't know the reason for being unlined, but it seems to be quite common for shell boots in general, not just on AEs. For example, the RL Lindrick boot, made by C&J, I believe (could be AS), is unlined; people were talking about hoping to get the Horween stamp.

Edit: And the Wolverine 1000 mile limited editions in shell are also unlined...

I don't know if it's boots only, but my shell MacNeils are fully lined - the inside looks exactly the same as the calf version.

Maybe the shell is thicker, and so having the lining go up the ankle would make the boot too bulky? Just guessing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.