Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

The quality of the leather has changed since then. Back in the 60s-70s the leather came from the US and was hand sewn in the US. Today the leather for the uppers comes from wherever and is stitched in the Dominican Republic.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

I would guess Alden is their number one shell customer. As for price, 40% more for shell over calf is a no brainer. Comparing calf to shell cordovan leather is like comparing pine or poplar wood to walnut or curly maple. One is used to make production pieces and the other heirloom pieces. My dad had a pair of 30 year old shell LWB's and I have two pairs (one cordovan color and the other black) that are each 16 years old. The cordovan color just came back from B Dalton and look great on their 3d set of soles. the older calf gets the worse it looks while she'll gains patina and character and seems to never loose it's shine or wear out.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I also think Alden sells more shell. They have a ridiculous number of shell options, and their retailers do numerous special make ups in shell (ravello, whiskey, #8, #4 etc.). They're limited runs, but they always seem to be on order.

I would think competition from Alden is keeping prices high at Horween.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

yeah...i'm going to disagree

5. coinopcollector

Price is high because: 1. Horween is allegedly one of only 3 tanneries in the world producing shell. 2. Horween shell is prized over any other shell by all the shoemakers and buyers the world over. 3. Horses are not slaughtered in most of the world for meat and hides and even where they are, the numbers are a minuscule fraction compared to the number of calf or cow hides. 4. Shell tanning takes 6 months. Calf and cow hide takes a week. 5. One horse produces two sells, I.e., enough to make two pairs of shoes at most. 6. Probably more reasons but these are the most obvious to me.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Sure, but if AE was the only buyer they could negotiate a better price.

7. tom10167

tom10167 Active Member

Patrick_b,

Thank you for your thorough explanation. I'm going to purchase the AE Kenilworths tonight. Will be my first "nice" clothing purchase.

8. coinopcollector

Well that is true, but pretty much every top shoe maker prizes and is sure to let their buyers know they use Horween shell including Croket & Jones, Trickers , Ron Rider and Vass just to name a few. I own 3 pairs of AE's, 2 calf and one shell. 2 pairs of Alden's, one calf and one shell. One pair of C&J shell and 2 pairs of vintage Bostonian/Hanover shell. No doubt the AE and Alden calf are nice shoes but they are definitely not heirloom quality/lifetime shoes like the shell models. My humble opinion, but shell is the far superior material and worth the extra investment. Spend $300 on a pair of calf shoes, wear them 20 times and then try and sell them on eBay. You will be lucky to find a buyer for $50. buy a $550 pair of the same shoes in shell, wear them for 5 years and you will still be able to sell them on eBay for $200 and up. Search shell cordovan on eBay and you will see what I mean.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I don't know if this qualifies as "OLD OLD OLD", but you can see by the receipt they were purchased in November 1990.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

coinopcollector, I believe you. And I plan to add some shell to my collection if and when I'm confident about sizing. But from the business/pricing side, vendors who buy large volumes of shell on a recurring basis have more pricing power. On the flip side, their brand name may also give them more pricing power with their wholesale/retail customers. So they buy it cheaper and sell it for more money which is a nice position to be in (wider margins). Some premium brands might buy less shell, but they likewise demand a higher price at retail which makes it profitable. I suspect AE does less volume and has less pricing power (hence smaller margins). So they will offer it as MTO to serve their customers who want it while allocating more capital and resources to higher margin products. I am speculating on this point, but I will ask my SA when I go to the AE store in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. heidegger

heidegger Well-Known Member

I just got these cordovan McNeils, which are seconds. The open part of the vamp for the lacing doesn't seem to align on both shoes so the laces run at an angle. Is this a defect?

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

that looks like a defect to me, but won't hurt tho.

13. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Wow is that what we can expect 20 year old calf skin shoes to look like? If that's the case....I might never want to shell out the money for cordovan. Did you wear those regularly hohn?

14. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Do tell where the shoes are from? Great looking for 20 years if worn regularly.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I bet that is the issue that made them seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.