1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swiego

swiego Senior member

Frustrating trip to the local (Somerset Mall in Troy, MI) Allen Edmonds store. Apparently the sale does not apply to quite everything... I went in looking for cordovan Cambridge brogues but apparently they are the one shoe that is left off the sale price, according to the SA. They thought it might be a mistake and promised to call me tomorrow with more information and now that I notice the web site also offering the shoe on sale, I suspect it is a mistake at the Somerset location.

I have to admit that while every dollar counts, 14.92% does not strike me as a mustn't-miss-it sale. They at least could have made it 17.76%. I wanted to pick up the Burgundy Shell Cordovan, but the color seemed uninspiring in person. For someone with a black-heavy shoe collection, would the brown shell Strand take me toward a more balanced collection?

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

sweigo you can't go wrong with a Strand in shell. Regarding the other pair in burgundy, did you hold the shoes at different angles? Sometimes burgundy can almost look black but when light, office lighting or especially sunlight hits them their beauty comes alive.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Correct!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior member

I'm looking for some shoes/boots to serve for casual wear and moderate winter weather (D.C.).

Currently, I'm considering getting a pair of Malvern (brown burnished calf) and/or the Player's Shoe (snuff suede).

Does anyone have experience with these shoes or any other recommendations?

I am a bit concerned if the Malvern is too bulky for use with dress pants/suit during bad weather.

5. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I wear a EEE wide, and the malvern is not a shoe that can go that wide and look good. If you have average width feet, they should look just fine.

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Endless.com has 20% off right now with code SEPEVENT. They have a large selection of AE, plenty of widths, overnight shipping, and easy returns. I've bought plenty from them without any problems.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

Hello, thinking of purchasing a pair of Park Ave or Fifth Ave but am not sure about the lasts AE uses. I wear 10 in the Alden Barrie last with a little bit of room to spare and was wondering if I need a 10.5 in the Park Ave? I am true to size 10.4 on the brannock between D and E widths but am comfortable with a D width.

9. JubeiSpiegel

They are both on the 5 last, and it is suppose to be AE's longest last. So there will be a bit of room on the toe end, but the shoes fit true to size. I would recommend trying out a pair for fit before purchase though.

10. jasonmarshalljazz

jasonmarshalljazz Senior member

i disagree. i have them in 11EEE and they look just fine.

11. JubeiSpiegel

10.5 EEE did not look good on my feet, maybe the 11 EEE looked fine but they looked too bulky for my taste. I own plenty of AE shoes at that same size, did not care for the Malvern though.

12. csc67

csc67 Senior member

The Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue are on the #5 last which is AE's longest and narrowest. I normally wear a 8D, but with the strand (also on # 5 last), I had to get a 7.5 E. AE's customer service is benchmark and shoes can be ordered and return as long as they are worn on a carpeted surface.

I can't comment on the Alden Barrie last

13. swiego

swiego Senior member

Well, I ordered the Cambridge in Burgundy Shell in 12E. Now it's a two week wait. These are my first shell cordovan shoes, so I hope they work out--I'm excited!

I did notice that the burgundy is quite noticeable and lovely in outdoors lighting.

I went back-and-forth with the MacNeil, but the latter seemed to have a very large outer sole that stuck out more and I could see myself dragging it against all sorts of surfaces. The Cambridge seemed more compact, elegant and frankly much more in line with my Lobb plain-toe oxfords.

I also requested the Kiowa from the Rough Collection and I believe the Player's Shoe (it had a different name in the store, I think) in Snuff Suede (what a name for a color), I'd be curious what people think about those two for more casual, fall wear.

14. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I had to go one size wider on the PA's.

15. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

The Splurge: All shoes 15% – 30% off through AllenEdmonds.com

No code necessary. Prices are marked on the site. Sale prices expire October 11th.

[​IMG]

16. rostov

rostov Senior member

Brought home my first AE shoes today, black Strands, after weeks of lusting & researching. The incredibly patient salesperson helped me through trying on tens of shoes until we found the right fit. I normally wear an 11.5D and after plenty of trial-and-error, found the 9.5EEE was the best fit for my square, flat feet.

In 30 years, this is the first pair of shoes I've owned that actually fit. I'll ignore anyone that laughs at me wearing my Strands with shorts because, gosh-darn it, at least they'll fit. (Okay, I might not wear them with shorts, but khakis...)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  17. JubeiSpiegel

Wear them proudly, friend. I used to have to wear 12 D before AE got me into 10.5 EEE. I can't accept any shoe brand that does not carry wides any more.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I picked up the Westchester recently at an AE outlet. It's a factory 2nd and was 25% off. Couldn't resist at that price. Fit is tad snug on my right foot. The 7 last isn't as narrow as the 5 last and works pretty well with my foot (on the wide side). With a bit of wear, it's stretched out some. I'm debating getting that shoe stretched. Just put a decent shine on it. Westchester on left.

[​IMG]

19. LeoPTY

LeoPTY New Member

Hi all,

I recently saw the AE Boulder (tan leather, brown trim) and fell in love with them, but am unsure as to whether or not my wardrobe can handle them.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF71801_1_40000000001_-1

I own no shorts or slacks, only jeans, which are relaxed fit/ boot cut. I usually wear t-shirts or polos (not higher end). Would I be able to pull this off, do I need a fashion upgrade? Thanks for your help.

20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

fall out of love with them...fast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.