• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subutai

Reaction score
That's one of the frustrating things about dealing with AE. I know that this is an "appreciation" thread, and I love AE shoes (own nearly 20 pairs) but my burgundy shell Daltons are the only pair of AE shell cordovan that arrived at my door with zero defects. They seem to have consistent struggles in working with shell cordovan. I don't believe I ever had to send a pair of calf AEs back due to defects...but my shell Park Aves, Patriots, MacNeils and now my Jeffersons had a problem. I'm now at the point where I'm reluctant to buy shell from AE. I have had better luck with Alden shell in terms of quality, so they may become my go-to for shell in the future.

I'm surprised by this. For the record, I certainly prefer Alden shell to AE, but that is based on Alden's finishing on the leather (the Alden "glaze.")
I've found, however, that AE's QC is much higher than Alden's. Pop over in the Alden thread and it's littered with examples of people buying shoes with defects as "firsts." Most people will pay full price and keep them because even models in #8 are becoming increasingly hard to find. Even more leeway is given for rare shells (e.g. ravello, whiskey, cigar).

You're raining on my parade, I was hoping to pick up my first pair of shell (seconds) but with that frequency of problems it doesn't bode we'll. Alden doesn't make shoes in my size so that options out.

In any case, I'd recommend just inspecting your shoe before buying, or, if ordering online, once you receive the shoe. AE has one of the best return policies and is very customer service oriented. So evilWagon, I'd recommend you pick up your first AE shells with confidence.

tuckfro

Reaction score

Long Branches today. (Don't worry Optodoc, I'm planning on wearing the Promontory Points tomorrow)

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the 5-last is the narrowest last in AE's collection. Would it be typical for one to size down half a size for the Macneils, Daltons or Aberdeens?

drocpsu

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been reading through this thread off and on for over a year, but this is my first post here. I was just wondering if anyone has polished their bourbon AE's with a regular brown polish, and if so, how they turned out. I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and would love to darken them just a bit. Wondering if anyone else has done this. I'd love to see some photos of what they look like.

joeisuzu

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback re: a versatile dress shoe, guys. I will go with the hive mind and look at a pair of gunboats.

I had looked at the MacNeil previously but thought the reverse welt was too casual. I guess they could be MTOed with a flat welt if desired? It is a handsome shoe. I'll make my way to an AE store and decide which last works best for me and go from there. Thanks again.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback re: a versatile dress shoe, guys. I will go with the hive mind and look at a pair of gunboats.

I had looked at the MacNeil previously but thought the reverse welt was too casual. I guess they could be MTOed with a flat welt if desired? It is a handsome shoe. I'll make my way to an AE store and decide which last works best for me and go from there. Thanks again.
Gunboats deserve a reverse welt. They're too casual for a suit if you're strict or English, but there's a great precedent for them in trad/American style.

Prolly buying a pair today. Maybe. Unless somebody talks me out of it. Walnut grain MacNeils are kind of a grail shoe for me...

Like dis:

http://thesuitroom.tumblr.com/post/74386614618/gray-flannel-suit-a-holdover-from-my-office-job

Not trad, but very cool:

http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/8767881837/fu-plaid-made-me-rethink-usually-i-use-a-common

OptoDoc

Reaction score
The Waterfront Restaurant is one of the better places to eat in La Crosse. Last time I was there the Mississippi wasn't frozen yet and I was thinking during dinner that I could put the canoe in and float downriver and end up down fairly close to OptoDoc. Going back upstream would pose a bit of a challenge however...

Funny you mention this. In college, I knew a few guys who hauled a party barge to St. Louis and then floated it down the Mississippi back home. I wouldn't try it in a canoe, but something tells me you could pull it off. You are Cold Iron after all.

If you do, the return flight is on me.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I had a little accident with edge dressing last night and now my Strands have a couple of chili dyed circles on the medallion
baldy[1].gif

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Last time I checked Amazon have them in all sizes for $245. I bought one in 3E and they fit perfectly; mines' lacing gap becomes less and less as they get broken in (I've been wearing them at least twice a week in the office this winter).

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, they don't have an 8EE or 8EEE available.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I'm good on size fit with Strand/PA obviously, but just wanting to double check with you @OptoDoc on your Neumok sizing since you and I have sized fairly close so far.

Same size as my Strands. They fit a bit longer and just ever so slightly wider, but this actually works out fine for me. I'm actually wearing my Neumoks today. They are extremely comfortable. If you only plan to wear them without socks, you could probably go down one in width, but not if you ever want to wear socks with them.
I don't have the Strandmok.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Dundees arrived today! The color is remarkable:

For comparison's sake . . . from left to right: brown shell Strand, brown shell Dundee, burgundy shell Dundee. Is it just me, or does the brown Dundee (a) not look that much like the brown Strand, and (b) actually look more burgundy than the burgundy Dundee? Anyone else have the brown Dundee and, if so, have they noticed this as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads