1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Lol, that last part made me laugh. On the bright side though, this just means your shell Dalton has that horween stamp everybody seems to be after.

Personally Ive not had any experience with whooshing through the brogues. Others from here have said that the wooshing sounds goes away eventually as the shoe breaks in, ymmv of course.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that at all. If offered the choice to create your own is do to demand for such a service...and AE offers the choice so there must be demand. AE even has 20 shoes on their website that you can customize yourself so clearly that is something that makes them money and people want.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Some people enjoy expressing individuality, and others enjoy expressing group membership (vis a vis school colors). To each his own.

I had 4 SMUs done over the past year, and in 3 cases multiple details were clearly missed (one even had a dainite sole instead of V- Tread). I'm not sure how that happens when the invoice is explicit, but I kept them all (except one, when the sole fell off after the first wear) because the i still liked the shoes and would have felt badly for AE to have to eat the cost and discard the shoes over relatively minor details (although I wouldn't consider the sole minor). But I can understand why someone else would feel differently.

4. Wildling

Wildling Well-Known Member

Considering you side stepped the obvious answer. Let's use your scenario then.

If you had a MTO by AE in your school colors and AE made the shoes in the wrong color that you did not specify. Would you then complain to AE about it?

5. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

Yes, I would complain about the shoes being the wrong color. I would complain about the shoes having the wrong soles. But people were going overboard with specifications on stitching, welts, eyelets, piping. That's not just my opinion, that's why AE cut back on the MTO deal.

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

The bold items above are currently preference-specified by anyone willing to pay the $125 mto fee.

The SF mto program was unsustainable from the start but it was a good foundation proving-ground for the now expanding on-site AE mto program.

Was the SF program profitable to AE?
    Only if they use it to learn:

1: Must charge for all work performed (to be profitable, and or to offset cost of mistakes).
    2: Reduce choices and exceptions.
    current examples:
    -Clearance pricing not likely available for mto in future.
    -see the "defined" mto program choices at AE.com
    3: More incremental checks through the build process.
    -Mistake Rate here was too high regardless of actual price.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

8. DayTripper

DayTripper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, guys! I haven't had a chance to work on them yet, but I'll give these methods a try later today, if possible.

9. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Wow. The forum was just buried in spam threads when I began this reply. They are now pruned, but it was almost comical how far down the real content was pushed. Kudos to the staff for handling that so quickly.

Thanks guys!

I purchased mine from the AE store when I picked up my shell Strands a while ago, but I have GOP Shoe Guy's link bookmarked for when I need more. That's a great deal!

Very good to know and added to future treatment plans. I'm now re-eyeing my shell Strands and wondering how much extra polish can be removed from those as well, but they look so good as-is that I'm a bit afraid to touch them. Plus my arms are tired from brushing.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday, and good luck with that scratch DayTripper.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Was looking for some inclement weather to clean the LBs up and take em out; I am happy I went with Grey - can kind of dress them up.

11. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

I've never seen them in gray - very nice!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  12. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

How do you all feel about webgems in particular? I'm getting antsy waiting for a new one. I think I've bought too many:

-3 Neumoks (White, Blue & White, Orange & White)
    -Red, white & blue McAllister
    -Jingle Bell Mok
    -Horseman
    -Walnut & cream MacNeil
    -Times Square

13. FatTuesday

I've seen some that are really nice. Bought the Macneil 5 with Dainite as seconds. I can't pull off the multi-colored ones. Some recent ones peaked my interest.

14. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to some images (or post your own) of well-worn-in black shell? I know how burgundy and brown shell build depth and patina as they age, but I don't have a sense of what black looks like as it gets some good mileage on it.

I currently don't own any black shoes at all (is that weird?) and am considering a pair of black shell Leeds or Dundees to add to my rotation.

15. Cxk5075

Cxk5075 Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a question regarding the Wolverine 744 LTD fit - I'm normally a size 10 3E in the Park Ave & Strand. Would a 10 D fit me? Opinions greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

16. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I'm a 12 EEE. I went with 13.

17. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Wearing Brogue Suede Strands tonight.......

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. FatTuesday

I'm normally an 11-1/2 E and went with a 12D in the 744 LTD and they fit great.

If you're truly a 10 3E, I can't imagine a 10D fitting. I'd start with an 11 D if I were you.

19. gg253

gg253 Member

I have the Leeds and Dundee, both shell, and the Leeds feels about a half size larger and at least a size wider.

20. gg253

gg253 Member

Careful...this has not been my experience at all. Dalton and Dundee fit much more snug than my Leeds. To the point where I barely wear the Leeds anymore. Disappointing to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.