1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Just a heads up, I'll likely be returning a pair of black shell dundees in 10E from the recent shell sale.

2. aftereffector

aftereffector New Member

Hey everyone, I need some help with AE last sizing. I searched and got some good information but it just raised more questions! So... right now I have a pair of dark brown Park Avenues in 11.5 E and walnut Flatirons in 10.5, though I'm not sure on the width - they are at work so I can't check right now. I picked up the Flatirons from a department store that was having a decent sale and they didn't have any width variations in stock so I assume it's D or something similar. I need to pick up a pair of black shoes for a wedding - my wedding actually! - and of course I would rather get some quality Allen Edmonds, but the closest Allen Edmonds retailer is 8 hours drive away so I can't get professionally fit.

The 10.5 Flatirons, on the 333 last if I'm not mistaken, are good in the width and just a bit long for my foot. I can slip my foot about a half inch forward, and I have to lace up just a little tighter than I normally do to keep my heel from slipping out. They fit well despite that - I wear them almost every day at work and I have not had any problems or discomfort at all - and the 10.0 pair I tried on in the store were definitely too small. However, my Park Avenues in 11.5E don't fit well at all. The width is barely sufficient and the length is far too long. My heels slip no matter how tightly I lace them up. Unfortunately I can't return the shoes - I bought them some years ago, I can't remember from where - and I haven't worn them in ages because of the loose fit.

This brings me to the crux of my problem. The Park Avenues are on the narrow and long 65 last, which would explain why an E was barely wide enough while a 10.5 probably-D on the 333 last was better. What blind adjustment could I make to my Park Avenue fit before ordering it online? 10.5 would probably get the length about right, but I'm wary of getting an oddball EE or EEE width without being able to try it on beforehand.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Order online from allenedmonds.com

That way you can send them back and exchange if the size isn't right.

1 person likes this.
  4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So the Westchester in shell and the Grayson in shell didn't fit me. See my signature if you want to take them off my hands.

Also - am I the only one who's excited for the GMTO Townley?

Awesome!

5. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Congrats on the Cambridge FatTuesday! I just went to town on my pair. They had always looked dull no matter how much I brushed them, so I tried the Mac method of using a bit of water with some vigorous scrubbing. I was surprised at the amount of burgundy color that transferred to the microfiber cloth when I did this, and suddenly the shoes had a lot more shine to them. I assume that this was the overly aggressive, layered factory polish and I removed a lot of it, if not all.

I probably should have stopped there, but the leather felt dry to me, so I added a light coating of VSC and the leather seemed to soak it up.

[​IMG]

VSC removed, pre-brushing:

[​IMG]

After about 15 minutes of brushing each shoe, with flash:

[​IMG]

Without flash:

[​IMG]

They look a lot better now.

2 people like this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Obviously, if on the 5 last an 11.5 E was "barely wide enough," an 11E will be narrower still. It sounds like you might be my size in the 5, a 10.5EE. As mentioned, you have no risk other than a return trip to the post office if you guess wrong.

And good luck with the wedding.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not necessarily. If the 11.5 was significantly too long, the ball of his foot might not have been in the widest part of the shoe.

8. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Thanks @CMT1! Those are gorgeous now! I do a very similar process to my shell when I receive it. It amazes me how much better we can make them look by removing the over-application of polish. I did once uncover some unsightly blemishes in the shell on a pre-owned pair from E. That is the only pair I use AE's cordovan cream on and they still look pretty damn good.

Enjoy your new purchase!

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

@CMT1 , your clean up job looks terrific!

10. SVS

SVS Senior member

In the 333 last I'm a 10EEE. A 9.5EEE also works and 10EE might also work in the right shoe. In the 65 last, I'm a perfect 10E and also 10.5D. If you fit a 10.5D in the 333, you should in a 65 of the same size. Does the widest part of the 65 along with the widest part of the shoe?

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Does anyone else size bals and bluchers different on the same last?

12. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Yes. The 8 last. 12 E blucher, 12 EEE bal.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  13. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Just received word from Nick V at B. Nelson that my AE brown shell Coles (loafers) are on their way back to me. Instead of the very stale black welt and edge, I requested chili welt and light brown transparent edging on JR soles. I can not wait to see them! I'll post photos when they arrive.

As soon as I get them back, I need to send in a pair of patina'ed burgundy shell Leeds. I want to do something similar. I may do a lighter welt with mid sole and mini lug or commando sole. I like the ability to change up the shoes when they need resoling.

14. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

@CMT1may I ask where you got vsc from?

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Just imagine if everyone wore the same shoes, how boring this world would be

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

no [​IMG]

17. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

On the 5 last I can get away with 8.5D blucher but need 8E on bals.

18. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

19. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

20. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.