• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can return seconds to the AE store. You can ship them to an AE store too if it's cheaper than sending them back to AE. Just call first to let them know what you're doing.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent them back today. E-mailed customer service with pictures, have yet to hear from them.

All other dealings with AE are fantastic, have a pair of Strands and Fifth Streets that fit and look fantastic (along with pair of Park Avenues).

I'm just curious what others have seen when they purchased shell from AE. Are most satisfied? I just may stay away from AE shell and stick with Alden for shell.

The pictures just don't do them justice (in a negative way), they look like they had been attacked by dogs and then put under water for 3 weeks then dried in the sun.
I sent a pair of shell Bradley's back to AE that landed on their dock 2 weeks ago last Monday. Last week I sent an email to them checking the status and received a reply back the next day saying they were backed up for approximately 2 weeks. Been a bit longer than that and have not heard from them yet.

Have been satisfied for the most part with my shell from AE. The Bradley's bowed out way too much and I still want a pair. I think the posts about the rapid expansion of AE and training new employees is spot on. No idea how QC is failing so bad, maybe because no rework is involved in the manufacturing processes they are just eating the cost on returns as "acceptable"? For now I'm sticking with AE and wish they would get back to me about the Bradley's. Once I know how they handle the issue it will determine if I order the Strand in walnut shell.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Sent them back today. E-mailed customer service with pictures, have yet to hear from them.

All other dealings with AE are fantastic, have a pair of Strands and Fifth Streets that fit and look fantastic (along with pair of Park Avenues).

I'm just curious what others have seen when they purchased shell from AE. Are most satisfied? I just may stay away from AE shell and stick with Alden for shell.

The pictures just don't do them justice (in a negative way), they look like they had been attacked by dogs and then put under water for 3 weeks then dried in the sun.

Hope they take good care of you (I am sure they will). I am usually very satisfied with shell from AE. I think the only issue I've had was when I ordered a pair of shell cambridges (seconds) that I was unhappy with. They had an issue on the outstep that I was unhappy with, and so I returned them for a refund (they didn't have any others in my size, or I would have exchanged them).

Shell generally is waxier than other materials, and sometimes they have additional coloring or wax on the surface. I have found this to be true with all the AE shell I've ever bought, as well as my Alden shell boots and my C&J for Ralph Lauren brown shell bluchers. In all cases, they didn't look great out of the box, but after a little time with a brush, they shined right up and noticeably improved. The Alden #8 shell boots had less wax residue on the surface, presumably because of the #8 dye / paint they apply, but it still had some.

Now, the issues you pictured and discussed are bigger than some wax on the surface, so obviously it won't all brush out. I wonder if the issue on the toe might have though...

Shiny

Reaction score

You can return seconds to the AE store.  You can ship them to an AE store too if it's cheaper than sending them back to AE.  Just call first to let them know what you're doing.

Can you order seconds from a retail store? I don't have an outlet but have 2 or 3 retails near me.

I would probably try out the 1sts shoes but would probably not buy from them.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you order seconds from a retail store? I don't have an outlet but have 2 or 3 retails near me.
I would probably try out the 1sts shoes but would probably not buy from them.

You can't order 2nds from a regular store, however you can order from the outlets by phone or email. So if you know your size or can try on the same shoe at an AE store or retailer that stocks AE (Nordstrom) you could then call a factory outlet and place the order.

Try emailing or calling Edward at the Freeport, ME factory store:

Allen Edmonds Freeport

Allen Edmonds
32 Main Street
Freeport, ME 04032
t (207)-865-6222
e [email protected]

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no lining. That is the back of the shell. The Horween stamp always feels like a bonus for me of shell cordovan items.

Same here. Couple of weeks ago saw a Limited Edition Wolverine 1000 mile shell boot with the stamp on the inside and came close to buying it just because of it. Just couldn't fall in love with the look of the boot though, especially at the price.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no lining. That is the back of the shell. The Horween stamp always feels like a bonus for me on shell cordovan items.

Agreed. I don't have any shell yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that the stamp shows somewhere on the Strands that are being shipped to me.

Looking at the picture Jubei posted though the gusset (I think), looks a little rough on top and looks like could have been more rounder instead of how jagged it is.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads