1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Hey y'all,
    I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, but can you tell me when the best time of the year is to buy Park Ave's & McAllister's? and from who? I'd like to get another pair of Park Ave's in black & Chili and a McAllister in Merlot. I JUST noticed they recently kicked up the price. I don't mind getting second quality shoes if you fellas know where to get them.

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You are in the right place. The Re-Discover America sale should be coming up. Also the Nordstrom twice a year sale is a great way to get those two models (not in Chili though).

Seconds are available at the ShoeBank or AE outlet stores. Just Google Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

You're in the right place. Check out the shoe bank for seconds, and it's best to call direct if you see something you like to snag it before somebody else does. AE's Rediscover America sale (15%-30% off) should be taking place in a couple of weeks; to know exactly when it hits, it's easiest to follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

edit: beaten by FIVE SECONDS. Thanks, mdubs. :box:

4. rostov

rostov Senior member

Call the Port Washington store for seconds. Inventory is visible at shoebank.com, although it's only updated once daily, so it may not be up to date.

Right now, there is a sale on Shell Cordovan for $325, which I'd recommend snagging if they still have the color and size of your choosing available.

5. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

@mdubs Thanks, man.
    @rostov Thanks!
    @random-adam Thanks as well

Is there a discernable difference between seconds & firsts? I have a few seconds and don't notice anything myself.

I have actually called the Shoe bank before - it's where I got my Quinton's[​IMG]

If I'm just looking for serviceable AE shoes, do you think I should go the Shoebank route for all of them? I don't know if I have enough to buy all those either.

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I'd look real hard at the current shell sale, and, the additional of black Park Aves for $325 would be difficult to overlook. (shoebank.com)

There is a big (RDA) sale coming at the end of this month, 15% or more off.

The shell sale can upgrade your look fast,
    although it may be a tad addictive, be warned.

$325 sounds high for a pair of seconds, but you would double that for a pair of firsts.

Edit: slow to the draw!

7. rostov

rostov Senior member

It really depends. I seem to have worse luck than others. I've gotten:

• Shoes with no discernible flaws
    • Shoes with defective grain or burnishing
    • Shoes with misplaced hole punches for stitching (in this case, the holes caused no structural risk and was well-concealed)
    • Shoes with rips and tears!!
    • Shoes with the wrong heel stiffener, aka heel-counter!! (Actually, AE didn't detect this flaw... the flaw that made it a second was burnishing, AE accepted this particular return despite the shoe being worn)
    • Shoes with the toe-cap basically destroyed and the shoe unwearable (I was told this shouldn't have even been sent to me, although @peppercorn78 had previously been sent the very same pair and told it wouldn't go back into stock)

EDIT: for further information and clarity, I figure I might as well list some issues I've had with firsts:

• Shoes with heels separating and/or falling off within a month of wear.
    • Shoes with rips and tears
    • Odd leather rippling around ankle
    • Shoes with defective grain or burnishing

In my experience, the main difference is that problems are *expected* on seconds and when they happen on firsts, AE is much more willing to work with you to repair or replace the item.

8. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Bourbon Strands yesterday on the plane, burgundy Cambridge for tonight's wedding, have a great weekend guys!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Great looking shoe! But even better watch. Nice PAM112 on a Gunny 74 serie strap!

11. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks! Always in with the keen eye my man, but that's the (overpriced) Wotancraft Legend 74. The Gunny would have been a far smarter purchase, but the Legend was a holiday present from my wife who had previously seen me researching the "74" options.

Reverso tonight. :slayer:

12. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

Just pulled the trigger on burgundy dundees through the sale. Over the 9 months I've gone from no AE shoes to black park aves, brown rutledge, bourbon strands, tan addisons, and now these. My gf commented that her anniversary present better be good.

1 person likes this.
  13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Haha my bad, I hope I didn't offend [​IMG]

Love the watches CMT1, are you a member of TWAT? I keep lurking there but havent posted.

14. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Absolutely zero offense my man, the day anybody gets offended by a misidentified watch strap vendor should be that person's last day on the Internet. :D

I am always in that thread as well, but mostly lurk unless I have something to contribute.

15. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Ha.

Sorry. Carry on.

16. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Are you an 11E by any chance???

17. rostov

rostov Senior member

Yes, or I'll pretend to be. This is the 11E that has been on riposo in Italy. I've been ordering 10.5EEE, but I can pull off 11E on the 511 last.

Also, I thank @New Shoes1 for bringing this shoe to my attention!

18. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I tried to nab it a few days ago with no luck. @NewShoes1's post alerted me to it as well. Jeffersonville tried, but with no success.

Just tried again and it was gone! Figured it must have been same as your conquest.

Congrats! Be sure to let me know if it doesn't fit!

19. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:You should have imported all of them. Theres a Walnut Strand 10E and Truffle McAlister 11.5E. The McAlister is the only one I could pull off but I think it'd be a bit redundant with my Brown shell Jefferson. Good score and price though. I think all those are 2nds. Not sure where I heard that though.

20. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.