• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I asked here because this is the only sartorial forum and thread that I follow and the people here seem really helpful. Well, that cannot be said of everyone here I suppose. It has nothing to do with AE and people can choose not to reply if they don't want to.

If I had a relative/friend in the states, I wouldn't be asking. But even if so, I do not want to trouble them.

well, you are certainly right about most people on this forum. The majority of us are very helpful. It at the very least speaks to the quality of gents on this forum that you would be willing to trust your things with them.

TaperedGent

Reaction score
Is there any particular wax/conditioner people would recommend for the Walnut Strands?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thenewguy

Reaction score
I started this as a separate thread, but someone suggested I might get good responses posting this here:

I sent a pair of burgundy McAllisters in for re-crafting. The other day I get a call that there was "an issue" and I get to pick any new shoes up to $345. I have no idea what the issue was and the csr said she didn't know. I don't really care. I thought I would just have them send another pair of the same shoe, but, with my options open, I am not so sure. I already have several different styles of brogues and my thought is to maybe get something different. Given you had the option, what would you pick?

Current shoes:
AE suede Strands
AE walnut Sanford
AE black First Ave
Magnanni brownish/burgundy-ish cap toe (not really a cap, but a stitch that makes it look that way
Polo walnuty color that looks like a whole cut but has a wing cap (kinda odd but I really like them)
Vintage Dexter lighter brown longwings
several casual desert boots
Florsheim/Duckie Brown ludgate boots
a couple of different Redwings
several sneakers (trendy and running)

What am I missing here? This seems like a good time to fill in a gap.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Burgundy Cambridge today:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Nice!  How long have you had those?  And how have you been taking care of them - Mac method only or something more?

Thanks! I have had these for almost a year. Mac method only on these so far. I probably could put something on them to build up some luster, but I like them the way they are. The variation in shades is growing on me.

BolognaFingers

Reaction score
Snagged these for 45 bucks (shipping included) on Ebay. I plan to get them recrafted by AE. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...XEq4hT1u3sHMRUyvKZ0dU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I wouldn't.

I bought a pair of burgundy mcallisters for $35 on ebay. The uppers are cracked. They arent worth sinking more money into. I don't regret my purchase--they were 10% of their retail price, they fill a niche, and I can beat the crap out of them, but I wouldn't throw good money after bad.

Last edited:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

Yep, Vincenzo is rapidly becoming my go-to guy.  I've worked with Julie (the SB manager) also and she is very helpful.

Re: the walnut, they are firsts.  I know - astonishing.

And, re: the burgundy, man, where was I when that sale was going on?!?  Kicking myself right now . . .

I emailed Vincenzo today, and all he had in my size for shell was standard stuff or stuff I already had. :(

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any particular wax/conditioner people would recommend for the Walnut Strands?

I would use AE cleaner / conditioner and follow with the AE neutral carnauba wax.

That is what I use on my Bourbon Strands and it works well for me.

Chris

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Just got a message from the Shoe Bank. They finally have a pair of suede Strands in my size, and at $179 to boot
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

On their way! Hope they aren't all jacked up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads