1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No, #8 shell with jeans is rockstar. My favorite combo, as long as the shoe is on the casual side. Chukka with round toe, reverse welt and double sole def qualifies.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Those are the two most appropriate choices to wear with any shade of shell plain-toe shoes.

Disclaimer: I'm right now wearing burgundy shell longwings with denim, so I may be a bit biased.

3. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

One last question. I'm currently living in upstate NY and the winters are harsh. I don't do much walking outside other than to and from the parking garage to work, will the salt and sand ruin the cordovan? What if I wipe the shoes off everyday? Not sure what cleaners and polishes I need for cordovan either. I have 4 pairs of calf Allen edmonds

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

You're going to love shell maintenance.

Just brush and buff with a cloth after every wear (I don't follow this. I just do it whenever it looks like it needs some cleaning).

Use saphir neutral cordovan cream every 15 - 20 wears. Brush and buff.

In essence, shell is way, way easier to maintain than calf. You can revive the appearance of shell much faster. For calf, I have to polish it up every 5 - 10 wears or the leather will look pretty beat up (But that's okay too, because, as you know, if you stay long enough in these forums, you're gonna accumulate a sizable collection (especially with 2nds sale), which 10 wears from the same shoes can take probably 1/2 a year or longer.

5. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

Alternatively, many people (incl. Kirby Allison at the Hanger Project) use Saphir Renovateur on shell to great effect. For another option, Nick Horween states that Venetian Shoe Cream is his choice for hydrating and maintaining shell. Many of the dramatic shell "reincarnations" that people pull off when buying abused shell from eBay use these two products, in combination with brushing and buffing. Kirby uses a fancy wool buffing mitt, but I found that a $17 Mother's carwash mitt (lambwool) works as well as his $80 one. 1 VERY light coat of Reno or VSC, let dry, brush well, buff with microfiber cloth/wool mitt. Some find that 3-4 of these cycles over a week or two can really amp up the shine of their shell.

6. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:I got busted this weekend. Fiance looked under the bed...I had been meaning to do something with those empty boxes. I told her some were getting sold/returned though. Plus getting married soon I got a few shoes as options. I think it worked. I had been trying to sprinkle in the rest of the ones under the bed into the closet slowly. Oh well.

7. peppercorn78

I purposefully keep my closet a mess. I've got one row of shoes hiding under a mound of old clothes then another on top.

8. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Thanks for that tip! Just order one off of big A.

9. BCer

BCer Senior member

Hahaha....I've accumulated WAY too many shoes over the past 18 months or so. My wife thinks I've got maybe 20 pairs, but likes to exaggerate to friends, telling them I've got "25 pairs of shoes". I just laugh it off...hoping she convinces herself that 25 is ok. True number is more like 30...ish. I've got shoes hiding between stacks of sweaters, etc in my closet. When I drag them out the first time I sometimes get the evil-eye. I've found myself using the old "you mean these old shoes? No, I've had them for ages"...routine.

1 person likes this.
  10. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

#8 shell works juuuust fine w/jeans IMHO.. do it.

[​IMG]
    And...I'd wear these with chinos in a heartbeat.

But my lack of style gets regularly roasted on SF, so buyer/poster beware!!! LOL

1 person likes this.
  11. peppercorn78

Dalton's with jeans are extra money. Now walnut LWB with a navy pinstripe business suit, on the other hand... ;)

2 people like this.
  12. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

So my shell daltons arrived from the sale today! The look great with only a small stiching mistake around the tongue base but nothing that should be exasperated over time. My only issue is I have a bit of heel slippage. I normally rock a 10.5 2E but sized down and out to a 10 3E for this sale ( so I was asking for this issue I know). The toe and around the ball of my foot is fine - not too tight but not loose. Anyone have any experience with heel slippage lessening over time? This being such a good price I may live with it regardless and just add an insert/heel pad.

13. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Et tu, Brute? [​IMG]
    ...I own no walnut LWB's, so no problem there (I love this place; but only back for a limited time...like the McRib!!!)

14. rostov

rostov Senior member

I just got caught by my wife yesterday! She knew I had just bought a couple pairs, but the math wasn't adding up. I got away with, "Oh, I'm returning a pair and bought these instead". That was technically true, but it didn't consider the fact that although I did return 2 pairs, I did end up keeping the other 6 pairs I've ordered since July.

15. peppercorn78

That wasn't specifically directed to you, though I remember someone posting such an ensemble and drawing criticism that I agreed with.

Anyway, I'm such a newb that I don't have ground to criticize anyone. Nor have I, I believe. :)

16. rostov

rostov Senior member

Okay! I have deets on the Gobi, AE's new desert boot.

The Gobi is entering the regular stock lineup at $295. It's manufactured on the 809 last in B, D, and EEE widths. As it's just hitting shelves, most or all out there are D width, but we should expect EEE and maybe B widths in the next 1-2 weeks.

Colors are navy suede, snuff suede, olive suede, and tan saddle. Again, this shoe, unlike the Amok, is lined and has a Dainite sole. The last, the 809, is the same as the Mojave.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have had heel slippage lessen in my Addison's and a few others..I have used the AE ortho insert in my Clark St and once the shoe broke in I ended up taking it out and the shoe fit much better...odd I know but that is what happened but never in a boot yet

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I heart olive!

19. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

That's some serious will power there. I was on AE calfs for a few months, then, BANG! I graduated to shell.

20. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

YESSS. the 809 last. can anyone tell me about it? How's it fit? wide? narrow? etc. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.