• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

njruss

Reaction score
Does it concern anyone that some of the colors are dyed vs tanned into the leather?

WICaniac

Reaction score
Long Branch: dark brown or waxy brown?

(To be worn with sports coat and tie).

The waxy brown upper appears "dressier" (in relative terms), but the stark contrast between the lighter leather and black welting draws attention to the lug sole. I've also seen some people question the quality of the waxy brown leather.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long Branch: dark brown or waxy brown?

(To be worn with sports coat and tie).

The waxy brown upper appears "dressier" (in relative terms), but the stark contrast between the lighter leather and black welting draws attention to the lug sole.  I've also seen some people question the quality of the waxy brown leather.

I have the dark brown long branch boots. The grain on my pair is very shallow, faint, and hard to see. Applying Obenauf's darkened it up quite nicely as well. I think I could definitely get away with wearing them with trousers and a chunkier fabric sports coat. Just use the brown laces instead of the red ones.

I think you're right about the light brown waxy color -- the lugs are much more noticeable against the lighter upper...

Amazing boots, btw. Feel fantastic on my feet and take a beating well. I almost have to force myself not to wear them every day.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
what do you mean by conditioning? My second pair of allen edmonds are set to arrive tomorrow, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to apply to them in order to get them broken in or "conditioned" correctly. When you say "condition" are you referring to conditioning lotion or cream of some sort? Or just referring to breaking them in?

When shoes have been sitting on a shelf for a long time without being worn or properly cared for, the leather can become dry and unhealthy (which is usually the case when buying shoes from Amazon). Before shoes like this are worn, it is a good idea to condition them (I use AE cleaner/conditioner) and let them rest for a day, then wear them inside an hour or two a few times before wearing them for a full day in the harsh outside world.

Sort of like applying lotion to human skin helps minimize the effect of wrinkles.

Last edited:

SkySaw

Reaction score
I picked up the waxy browns at the recent sale. They are every bit as comfortable as the reviews suggest. I have a pair of Doc Marten's boots, and they are much heavier than the long branches. To protect them, I put a coat of Saphir renovateur, followed by 4 coats of Mahogany polish to protect them and to intensify the depth and lustre of the colour. Here's what they look like now, and what they look like with a jacket and dress pants.

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
I picked up the waxy browns at the recent sale. They are every bit as comfortable as the reviews suggest. I have a pair of Doc Martin's boots, and they are much heavier than the long branches. To protect them, I put a coat of Saphir renovateur, followed by 4 coats of Mahogany polish to protect them and to intensify the depth and lustre of the colour. Here's what they look like now, and what they look like with a jacket and dress pants.

Thanks! I had nearly decided on the dark brown, but your pics (especially the second one) have me reconsidering

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skysaw, you have very good style. Congrats on the LBs, I am waiting for mine in dark brown to come in. I'm debating whether I should pick up a polish for them or not, as they're not as shiny or formal as the waxy browns.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of new styles up today. A bunch of $700 ostrich leather, and $2400 gator leather shoes. Okayyyyy.

But these are super pretty: CXL Strands on danite soles with white edging and stitching. Beautiful Link

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of new styles up today. A bunch of $700 ostrich leather, and $2400 gator leather shoes. Okayyyyy.

But these are super pretty: CXL Strands on danite soles with white edging and stitching. Beautiful Link

Why give it a new name??? I don't get their branding sometimes.

Anyway, I love it. Damn. Maybe Chromexcel is something I need to get into. Sigh...

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Indeed ... beautiful. A more casual look ... I dig it. Damn, I already have 2 pair of strands (walnut and bourbon) .... must resist ... for now

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why give it a new name??? I don't get their branding sometimes.

Anyway, I love it. Damn. Maybe Chromexcel is something I need to get into. Sigh...

Chromexcel will ruin calfskin for you, especially if you live in an environment where you don't keep your shoes pristine all the time. I currently don't wear any calfskin anymore, it's just too delicate, too much of a worry about walking through wet grass or if it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads