Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I dunno; I've started to think that I should ask the retailer to hand pick the shoes before shipping. I haven't had any problems with AE, but I have received a couple of "first quality" shoes from that other American shoe maker with obvious defects in the leather. It's an inconvenience, but as long as they make it right I'm not apt to complain too much.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Send disappointed email to AE customer service, and return. They should take care of the rest. I have had the problems with a particular model, three consecutive times, but their customer service always makes it right. I'm hoping the quality control improves soon, as they recently expanded their production and there seems to be a steep learning curve at the moment...

3. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Wow those are first quality? That's pretty terrible. There is suppose to be people who inspect every shoe that goes out. Missing something like that (especially on a limited model) is unacceptable. Hopefully they still have enough capuchin cordovan left to make you another one.

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

On the topic of AE QC, I just received a pair of walnut Strands and Im pleased to say that the finish seems to be the best of any AEs I've purchased that are from the "normal" price point ($335; the cordovan shoes in my experience are generally finished better).

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

wow, that cap cordo strand is awful. I would definitely raise hell on that one.

6. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I'm supposed to receive my Cappucino cordovan McGraws this week--i hope they look better!

7. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

it would just be my only nice brown shoe... for now :) (have brown cole haan captoe that are ok)

Thanks for the input, I'll consider also looking into oxfords.

I'm very borderline E ("fit expert" put me in 11D strands, seem fine, need an E in bayfield) but I ordered camrbidge in burgundy in both 11D and 11E - hopefully one will fit! (if not I will either send back or see if anyone couldn't get a pair here)

8. hiffic

hiffic Member

Quick question about the interiors of AE shoes. Recently bought some totally sweet Elgins, wore them for a day, then left some shoe trees in them for a few days. Took the trees out today and put them on not only feeling like they were a slightly bigger, but like a foreign object is stuck in the edge of the toe box. Turns out to be some black rubber cement-like material:
    [​IMG]

Is this normal for most AE shoes, or shoes in general? What the heck is that stuff?

9. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

Wow, those shoes are a disappointment. However, I had no idea they had a shell balmoral wingtip in that color. I looked at the AE website and the closest I saw was the Cambridge, but the only brown shade was burgundy.

Are other colors typically available than what they show on the website?

10. hiffic

hiffic Member

awesome double post

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

From what others have posted, it is a 50% - 50% shot... :)

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

At least with regular edition firsts, you can get replacements. With these special edition cordovans, they might not be available. You just have to look at the positive side of not spending money if they can't be replaced.

Of course, with seconds, all bets are off. You have to assume there won't be any replacements available.

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

A while back someone posted the email of edward in the freeport store. Well, i emailed him last week and he has not responded. In my book, he sucks.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Huh. I got a response right away from Freeport. I'd try the shoebank email: [email protected] If you give them your size, they'll send you a list of every shoe available.

But I did less than stellar customer service when I called them. I think it's just inconsistent sometimes.

15. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

Edward got right back to me and was super helpful and quick... you can call him at 207-865-6222, he's there now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.