• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
My jar of Renovateur arrived last night, and I tried it out on my Park Ave and Kenilworths. It seemed like the cream was extremely difficult to buff off of the shoes. I applied with my bare finger and tried to keep it to a minimum. Let dry for 3-4 mins and then spent 20 mins or buffing like hell with an old cotton tshirt trying to remove it. Is this normal? It was hard enough to remove that buffing with a horsehair brush didn't even touch it. Am I doing something wrong (possibly using too much)?

I can't find any mention of this product being difficult to remove other than some people leaving it on over night.
I don't think you are attempting to remove it per se, you more or less want to buff it to achieve a shine. Maybe try adding a touch of polish to assist?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This happened to me a couple years ago (bruised and tender, not bloody) when I got the shell Leeds I happen to be wearing right now. I suspect it was Haglund's. For a couple of weeks the back of my right heel hurt an awful lot around a bump that had suddenly appeared.

My solution? I wore boots for those two weeks. The extra support, and lack of sharp delineation at the point of contact between leather and no leather, prevented things from rubbing the wrong way... and the pain eventually disappeared entirely. Now I can wear whatever shoes I want; perhaps the tendon formed the equivalent of a subdermal callus.

Hmmm. Thanks for this.

I HAVE been wearing boots an awful lot lately, considering the weather we've had in the NE lately.

But I don't think the problem is in my foot. I can feel a hard ridge in the back of the heel in both these shoes. I guess I was wondering if anyone's heard of any sort of product that adds a little cushion to this part of the shoe interior.

Maybe I should call Allison and ask for her advice, but I really don't want to send these shoes back in.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was wondering about these webgem exotics. Does anyone here actually plan on dropping 2400 for the gator shoes? I mean, if you're looking to part with that much cash, wouldn't you spend it on an upper tier bespoke pair?

Also, what is the general appeal of ostrich leather? Strengths, etc? Does anyone here own ostrich shoes? Because generally, I think the pairs I've seen are rather ugly...

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^ I don't plan to... Gator shoes are not my thing.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was wondering about these webgem exotics. Does anyone here actually plan on dropping 2400 for the gator shoes? I mean, if you're looking to part with that much cash, wouldn't you spend it on an upper tier bespoke pair?

Also, what is the general appeal of ostrich leather? Strengths, etc? Does anyone here own ostrich shoes? Because generally, I think the pairs I've seen are rather ugly...
Not for me at that price point on the gator.
There is someone selling a boat load of vintage gator shoes in the marketplace on here for a lot less ($250-400 ish)
http://www.styleforum.net/t/376516/vintage-alligator-shoes-best-of-1940s-1960s

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wow, wonder if some seconds will pop up

Imagine if you're the factory craftsman responsible for messing up a pair of gator shoes. Ouch!

rskula

Reaction score
Just got this email back regarding the recrafting of walnut strands. What is the best leather sole to get for the extra $10? 1 Butyl, JR or Double Leather?

Hello Mr. Skula,

Thank you for your email and interest in Allen Edmonds recrafting service. You may request that the soles of your shoes be switched during recrafting, the price is an additional $10 of the recraft package selected. I have attached the current options, that lists the soles features, as well as models that are presently manufactured with the each specific sole.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Best regards,

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this email back regarding the recrafting of walnut strands. What is the best leather sole to get for the extra $10? 1 Butyl, JR or Double Leather?

Hello Mr. Skula,

Thank you for your email and interest in Allen Edmonds recrafting service. You may request that the soles of your shoes be switched during recrafting, the price is an additional $10 of the recraft package selected. I have attached the current options, that lists the soles features, as well as models that are presently manufactured with the each specific sole.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Best regards,
What is your intended wearing environment? Weather, Walking on pavement a LOT, carpeted environment, etc.
That helps dictate the appropriate sole IMO.

rskula

Reaction score
While it does give a "wet" look upon application the net result after it dries is a more flat appearance. You can buff off some of the residual and it will have slightly more gloss. However it does not normally come up super glossy in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads