1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Dibs!

2. loanshark

loanshark Senior member

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Agree with you, bud. I got some Singletons and I love them. Mine had a perfectly symmetrical piping, or whatever it's called, when new. After a few wears the piping is bent/dented here and there. They're shoes! Just wear them.

4. Billyboy316

Billyboy316 Active Member

Ok...decided to part with these...while they fit well (9.5 eee)... I would prefer a loafer with a longer vamp. I will be putting these on a popular auction site this weekend.

Offering them here first...If you are interested in them...send me a PM.

Brand New ...AE Westchester Shell Cordovan 9.5eee (1st Quality...not 2nds).... With original box and felt shoe bags. More pics available upon request.
    [​IMG]

5. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

post in the B S forum.

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thanks for your pics and time! Both look great!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

How much shorter is the vamp say compared to Randolph? I have the #8 shell Randolph and find it perfect, but have yet to try any westchester.

8. Billyboy316

Sorry...not sure since I have never tried on the Randolph. I have posted them in the Classic Menswear Classifieds. Please ask me any further questions you have there regarding these shoes for sale. Thank you.

9. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Just received a shipment of 7 shoe trees @ $8.50 apiece from Jos. A Bank and they are way more aromatic than the same trees from AE. I understand that both companies use the same supplier, so maybe the AE batching bought was old. At $8.50, I regret not buying 10 more!

1 person likes this.
  10. Billyboy316

They run a 66% to 70% off shoe accessories sale (1x or maybe 2x a year). I had purchased about 8 of them last year...going to need to buy a few more soon :D
    Like them better than my AE trees.

11. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

What size?

Also what's your technique for getting that shine? I've tried and tried but can't get it on any pair.

12. rostov

rostov Senior member

I like my JAB trees except the XL ones seem to leave dents at the heel of my 5-lasted 10.5EEE shoes.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Since we're the same size, I'll ask.

Do you prefer the L or XL size? I have mostly L trees, but the AE recraft sent my MacNeils back with XL trees. They're tight enough to make it difficult to remove, so it makes me a little nervous to use them. But AE recrafting must know something, right?

What do you think?

Also, do people here use trees in their unlined chukkas? It seems a little counterintuitive to me, but I will comply if there is tangible benefit.

14. peppercorn78

And one more question for the shell-heads: someone in the Alden thread recommended using Alden Leather Defender on cordovan shoes before each wearing. Does anyone do anything like this? It seems excessive as shell is supposed to be hearty stuff.

15. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I have heard maybe once a month.
    Every wearing is excessive.
    Of course if you are @mdubs every wearing could be once every few months.
    [​IMG]

16. rostov

rostov Senior member

At the AE stores, they use rubber trees. I believe the heel might be cedar, but I don't recall? Either way, they don't sell these trees and I don't know where they get them. They're nicer than most plastic/rubber ones I've seen. I haven't yet used trees in mine, but if I did, I wouldn't use the XL ones ;-)

Btw, I'm literally on the way to my cobbler now to drop of my first unlined pair to repair the rip that made them seconds...

17. peppercorn78

But you agree it's (Alden Leather Defender) a good idea to use? I'm inherently leery of product on shell, but willingly admit my experience is limited. I have 4 pairs that I acquired within the past year only (thanks to you degenerates).

18. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am fairly certain that the consensus is that it will help mitigate water welts.
    Outside of that, I don't feel a need, personally.

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Most recommend the use of Alden Leather Defender even on Shell. It helps to prevent the much feared water spots.

Thanks BK, I am happy to wear my shoes once a year. :p Of course I would be barefoot a good portion of the year that way.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.