1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rostov

rostov Senior member

Dibs on the bayfield, peppercorn.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Renovateur really is a superior product (I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

Last night, my band played an outdoor wedding in Sag Harbor, and I was stuck standing in the dirt and weeds behind the very small stage.

After the gig, my Neumoras were caked in dirt and dust and grass (and a snail).

This afternoon, I simply wiped all the dirt and debris with a damp cloth, applied a light coat of Reno, and buffed moderately, and my trusty #2 pair of AEs were back in fighting shape!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just because the sunlight was so purdy, I couldn't resist taking out my oft-neglected cordovan Strands for a little brushing, since they were looking a mite bloomy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nomos

nomos Active Member

OK. I am polishing shoes for the first time in my life.
    I got my walnut cloud Park Ave.
    I applied 2 coats of shoe cream.
    And I started applying brown shoe polish because I wanted it to turn little darker.
    Well… It came out dark. I kind of like it.
    Well…. the color is uneven.. I kind of like it but the problem is I can't seem to make the place I want darker darker. lol. I can make it lighter by taking the polish off with the sponge applicator.
    Am I applying too much at a time?
    Does anyone 'dig' the uneven polish job?
    I feel lost somewhat.

You can see what color I started with by looking at the tongue.
    Is rubbing alcohol the best way to strip the polish to start over?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Not sure what the cloud walnut looks like, but it looks to me that there is too much product in there now. The basic TLC process is cleaning->conditioning->drying->polishing with drying and a lot of brushing in between the steps, then of course buffing at the end. In my experience when applying products the mantra "less is more works".

There is a lot of information in the shoe care thread too.

1 person likes this.
  5. Billyboy316

Billyboy316 Active Member

Was looking for a pair of burgundy loafers. First pair of shell cordovan. AE Westchester
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left shoe to me looks a little lighter than the right. Is this normal for shell? They are 1st quality, not seconds.

Your thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not too unusual. Each shell takes color differently. You can see on these strands that the different leather cuts must have been clicked from different shells:

[​IMG]

But, if it bothers you, then def send back for a replacement. It's a $650 shoe, and you should be happy with it.

7. Billyboy316

Billyboy316 Active Member

Thanks peppercorn. I love the shell Shell Strands in brown.
    The coloring on mine does not bother me as much as the low vamp. I am used to a higher vamp loafer, like my Carlsbad and Walton. I did not realize this when I bought them (bought over the net (closeouts)...got the size right though).

I am going to call AE in the morning to see what they can do.
    If they can't do anything for me, I will probably see who wants them here. Want to make sure they find a good home :)

8. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I havent seen the teardown before, but this is how I feel as well...its quite apparent, according to the consensus ive read, that there are undoubtedly much better quality and better looking shoe brands than allen edmonds...but I can say that, in all candor I honestly love the brand myself...It fits my conservative style of dress very well, so ill likely be a lifelong customer as well. Ive got a great rapport with my local allen edmonds retail store, and i love going their to browse their new releases, and my main point person at that store is always really nice to me.

And ive seen a couple of other people on the elevator in my building at work who were wearing Allen Edmonds, and despite their inferior quality to most other dress shoe makers, they looked nice to my eye...there was one older gentleman who had on what looked a walnut park avenue...I instantly recognized it for its dreaded and oft-maligned stubby toe cap...but they honestly looked very good on him...not modern or trendy, but good enough to compliment the rest of his suit nicely. And I know that there are alot of lawyers and executives of engineering firms in my building, so I figure if they will stoop to wearing allen edmonds in place of john lobb, St. Crispins, edward green, or G&G and can be satisfied with their footwear, why wouldnt I.

9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Oops

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

That poster was me - I compiled the tear downs

Here it is, take a look: http://www.styleforum.net/t/415186/shoe-dissection-allen-edmonds-john-lobb-bostonian-and-more

I think the main takeaway is when you go to the best of the best, you'll step up in quality, but you see diminishing returns. I view the next tier up from AE being things such as Alden, Crockett, etc. Unfortunately, you need to remember that is a 35-50% uptick in MSRP and its not exactly hard to get AE's a lot lower than MSRP.

11. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Another takeaway from my own experience and posts on this thread,
    is that AE's willingness and mechanism in place to support uncommon sizes is a godsend to some of us.

1 person likes this.
  12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Pardon my ignorance, but is the RL Singleton the same shoe as the Randolph, or are the just similar? Thanks in advance...

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

[​IMG]

McGraws, from the shoebank. Can't really complain about them, though they ran a bit narrower through the forefoot than I had hoped.

2 people like this.
  14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Very similar, but not quite the same. The tab that goes across the top of the shoe does not extend all the way down the sides on the Singleton (which I prefer), whereas it does on the Randolph.

15. nomos

nomos Active Member

I stripped off the polish with dry mechanic's towel and reapplied several thin layers of polish more evenly this time.
    The walnut is more like chili now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Well done. So much better now.

2 people like this.
  17. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up for any people new to the shoebank like me - if you're returning seconds, call the main customer service AE line for a prepaid label, not the store where you ordered them from. The store kind of blew me off when I called and said "we'll make sure we send it to you", while the main support line sent me one literally as soon as I got off the phone with them.

1 person likes this.
  18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I do not know why some consider Alden a step up from AE. I have owned 2 Alden, sold one because the Barrie last did not work for my feet, but have kept the Grant last boot. I do not find them any better than my AE's although have to admit the shoe bags are nicer [​IMG]. C&J has several grades and if you go up in price I'm sure they are "nicer". I had a pair of C&J for RL Marlow's for a year but ended up selling them due to fit, and found them about the same as AE and Alden concerning quality. All of the ones I have owned, AE, Alden and C&J were\are great shoes.

When you start going way up in price I do not feel the shoes available are a good value to me, and I don't really care for the style of most of them to be honest. AE hits a sweet spot for me and as importantly most of the lasts fit my feet very well.

19. Hungryhippo44

Hungryhippo44 Member

So recently I retired my beat up old [Kenneth Cole] shoes that I like to wear with jeans and button downs like OCDb. So I was looking for a casual wingtip or something similar to pick up. My goal is a shoe which isn't too plain but not too flashy either cause the rest of my outfit is kinda plain.

So I was thinking Allen Edmonds shoe bank 2nds. It was recommended to me via mfa to go with [Mctavish] so I got a pair. Well they messed up and sent me 2 pairs by mistake and I called and told them and they offered me another pair if I wanted to pay return shipping so I had a quick moment to look at the site and pick another shoe which I thought would go well with jeans and I went with something distressed and darker. The [strandmonk] was my choice cause i figured the distressed look would help make them more casual but they still look alittle dressy which I like.

Now I was doing some explaining this situation and asking about if the strandmonk were a good choice and some mfa advisors said both shoes were bad choices because of the closed lacing pattern. Unfortunately I didn't know about this fashion rule that closed lacing pattern is more formal than open.

Apparently Nordstrom and other sites which sell the mctavish say its a good shoe to wear with chinos or jeans. I noticed the casual distressed [neumonk] has closed lacing. If any shoe appears to be meant for jeans its a neumonk no? So how important is the closed lacing vs open lacing and should I return the shoes? If so can you recommend a better choice from Allen Edmonds with denim to keep things casual yet not boring either.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  20. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I personally don't follow that rule strictly as I wear my walnut strand with chinos (the nicer chinos though and not the washed ones) but for jeans I would normally reach for a chukka boot or my chili MacNeils.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.