1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

They aren't discolored on the leather itself. It's literally just the wax turning white where the shoe flexes because I used too much. I own some Saphir walnut cordovan cream but I think would prefer not to use colored creams.

Here they are all brushed, buffed and in direct sun after I got home. I love the color they are developing.

[​IMG]

2. aglose

aglose Senior member

Hey guys, I jumped on the AE Grayson seconds in Shell when they were mistakenly priced at $199. They are gorgeous, but the only issue I can see is the left shoe is slightly lighter then the right. Any way to change the color of the shell? I know shell is notoriously hard to mess with since the tanning process is so long. I also have some Saphir cream coming in the next week which should help some.

3. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Great color on those for sure.

Here is another pic of mine:

[​IMG]

Notice the color variations I told you about.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Senior member

Comments on mcallister vs Jefferson? Same design.

What is the difference between the independence vs non-independence version?

5. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Apart from the Indy details (sole, lining, leather ) the Jefferson varies in design from the McAllister in that it's eyestays and quarters are a single pice of leather whereas the McAllister's eyestays uses a separate leather from the quarter. Also the McAllisters eyestays extends above and wraps around the topline of the shoe, where additional perforations are made. The Jefferson does not have this.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Amazon has the Ventura Highway for about 76, unfortunately they did not fit well for me.

7. claughman

claughman Member

Just a Sidenote JOS A Bank again has shoe trees on the buy 1, get 2 program... Noticed some new AE models as well. A single monk, a split toe with rubber sole and loafer have been added, likely all based on an AE line shoe but with a different last I assume, like others. But 258 ea.

8. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

My first foray into the seconds market didn't go quite as well as anticipated. On the upside, this will be better for my wallet.

I ordered a pair of chilli carlyles, but the burnishing on one is almost tiger striped. It was very noticeable in my bedroom, which is poorly lit, so in office lighting I think they'll look ridiculous (my wife noticed the flaw immediately).

Still tempted to pick up a pair of seconds gridirons before the sale ends, as it's a bit niche of a shoe for me to drop $300 on, but I'm a little gunshy now. I'm on mobile and can't figure out how to upload multiple pics, but below is a side by side. I took it I'm the bathroom where the lighting is more bold, but it's still more subtle in the pic than in person. Am I being too picky? I was expecting a scuff or deep scratch in the leather, but for $219+tax this is a deal breaker for me.
    [​IMG]

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'd give it a good polish

10. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

If you have access to a really sunny window and a fair bit of patience, you might leave the darker shoe in the window for a few weeks. Part of the fun of shell, though, is the variation in color from hide to hide; I have Daltons that over the last couple of years have aged somewhat differently. Mismatched slightly they may be, but I'd never trade that patina.

11. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

I was concerned that if I tried to even it out with polish and it didn't work, they wouldn't be eligible for return.

12. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Making those streaks disappear with polish and shoe cream will likely require stripping off the factory-finish first, which you'll have to do on both shoes for an even look , before rubbing in the polish or pigmented cream. Overall a lot more work that rubbing some polish onto one shoe.

Since you envisioned these as office shoes, it might be better to return them.

1 person likes this.
  13. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

If these were part of a two for $299 deal I'd keep them. But, at $220 each I'd return them, especially considering that another pair of seconds is likely to pop in your size soon. Good luck!

14. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. It's too bad my first try was a swing and a miss, but hopefully I'll snag something better next time.

15. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Running around in the Bocas, my new favorite pair. Picked them up as part of the 2/299 sale.
    [​IMG]

16. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

So it seems like ive heard this a few times, and im wondering if its true...the general consensus seems to be that Allen Edmonds shoes arent a good value at full price ...and that theyre really only a good value if they are discounted or on sale.

Doesnt this mean that allen edmonds shoes are of low quality if the only dress shoes they are superior to are Cole Haans/Kenneth Coles? And since this appears to be the case, why do people still seem so excited about getting a pair of these sub par Allen Edmonds shoes?

17. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

It's the nature of seconds - you pays your money and you takes your chances. At least you're only out the $10 restocking fee!

18. aglose

aglose Senior member

Thank you! I might just wear them and say F it.

19. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

AE is miles ahead in materials and construction compared to Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole. A lot of people on this forum already have enough AE/Alden/Northants shoes, so the only reason one would buy yet another pair of AE's would be if the deal was too good (e.g. sales, clearance etc).

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

hmmm. I wear a 10.5 3E on the 5 last. I wonder if I could fit that Leeds. Did you figure out a price? Perhaps I could stop by an AE store this week to get fitted...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.